Dutch Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ladyjane, thought you might be happy to know that Kyarha van Tiel is in the lead going into the free skate in Senior Ladies at the Open d'Andorra with a score of 50.94. Hope she keeps up the good work!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I just read that Kyarha maintained first place in Andorra, although her Free Skate was only the fourth one of the day. She did have some stamina problems, though in this case it was mostly caused by the fact that the air is a bit thinner at a height of 1500 mtrs (and coming from a flat country like ours, not really something she can train!). However, the end result was a gold medal, which is quite an achievement. Good for Kyarha!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just read that Kyarha maintained first place in Andorra, although her Free Skate was only the fourth one of the day. She did have some stamina problems, though in this case it was mostly caused by the fact that the air is a bit thinner at a height of 1500 mtrs (and coming from a flat country like ours, not really something she can train!). However, the end result was a gold medal, which is quite an achievement. Good for Kyarha!

That's great news (and skating at elevation is something it's hard to train indeed!).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
At Bosphorus Istanbul Cup Ice Dance team Chelsea VERHAEGH / Sherim VAN GEFFEN will be competing this weekend. I hope they'll do well.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Chelsea and Sherim were last out of the 12 teams in the Short Dance, but did manage to achieve the minimum TES for this Dance to be able to skate at Euro's. I haven't watched their skate yet, but this is quite a feat for a couple from a country which has little history in figure skating, and none at all in Ice Dancing. Let's hope they'll keep this up tomorrow and get their minimums for the FD as well!

Nirti

Medalist
The last time the Netherlands were represented at Euros in ice dancing was in 1995 with Anita Chaudhuri and Hans 'T Hart. Good luck to Chelsea and Sherim today!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thank you Nirti (and Harriet as well, who is also very supportive in this thread). Sadly Chelsea and Sherim didn't make it. They ended up last, not surprising since they were last coming in, but just got too few points to achieve the minimum TES. I saw they had a 1 point deduction as well, so perhaps they had a fall. I'm not sure they'll be competing again soon enough to get these TES minimums sorted as Europeans of course takes place in January. I didn't see them on the entry list at Golden Spin (which is the last chance I think) but perhaps they'll appear elsewhere. I sure hope so!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They're not listed for Santa Claus Cup either, but it starts tomorrow, and skating two competitions back to back like that would be a very big ask. And Grand Prix of Bratislava is Juniors and below only. Mentor Torun would be possible for Four Continents but I think it's too close to work for Europeans. So Euros this season may not be on the cards, but they've set themselves up well to be able to go next season. Maybe we'll see them get their FD minimums at Challenge Cup!

Andrea82

Medalist
Thank you Nirti (and Harriet as well, who is also very supportive in this thread). Sadly Chelsea and Sherim didn't make it. They ended up last, not surprising since they were last coming in, but just got too few points to achieve the minimum TES. I saw they had a 1 point deduction as well, so perhaps they had a fall.

yes, the protocols indicate a fall on Straight line lift which got invalidated. They lost the chance to get the mimimum TES with that mistake. A level 2 StLI with positive GOE or level 3 StLI with 0 GOE would have been enough to reach 44 points. At Volvo Cup they got level 3 on that lift. It means 4.55 points as base value.

This is their FD today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sWo5dGZS0

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That’s not possible, because CC has no Ice Dance.
Unless they suddenly decide to add it... ;-)

I'm forgotten about that.

They should definitely add it though. We always need more ice dance competitions! :)

YoenNL

Rinkside
I'd love to see ice dance at CC, dammit.

We will likely do just a small "national level" Senior Dance event at the CC as it is too expensive to invite a fullblown International set of officials just for a small Ice Dance event. But maybe we will consider it for the future.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
We will likely do just a small "national level" Senior Dance event at the CC as it is too expensive to invite a fullblown International set of officials just for a small Ice Dance event. But maybe we will consider it for the future.

That would be lovely! I've seen that there is indeed a National ID competition planned on the Dutch Federation Website. Which is a good start anyway. Good to see that CC is getting better and better as a competition. I definitely am going to be there again!

However, Bavarian open could be a possibility for Chelsea and Sherim to get the TES for Worlds. I understand there's going to be a big Dutch team at that event. Why not add the dancers? It's ambitious to aim directly for Worlds, but if they continue to improve like they have done....and even if not, it's still an excellent experience to get another competition under your belt.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
yes, the protocols indicate a fall on Straight line lift which got invalidated. They lost the chance to get the mimimum TES with that mistake. A level 2 StLI with positive GOE or level 3 StLI with 0 GOE would have been enough to reach 44 points. At Volvo Cup they got level 3 on that lift. It means 4.55 points as base value.

This is their FD today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sWo5dGZS0

Thanks for the link! And yes, a bit of a fluke fall really. Too bad! But fair enough.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Before I forget...I saw Thomas Kennes is listed for the Santa Claus Cup and he is currently in 8th (out of 11 participants) after the SP.

Furthermore, there are three senior ladies listed for Golden Spin: Linden van Bemmel, Kyarha van Tiel and Niki Wories. I hope to be back here with some short reports this weekend!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hello again!

Just wanted to let you know that when I was watching the British Championships over the weekend, there was a brand new (and young) partnership that caught my eye in Junior Ice Dance.

I was intrigued by the girl in particular, because although she had a relatively common name, it was not a common spelling. And after digging around, I found out the reason: her Dad is Dutch.

Phebe BEKKER (14) and Theodore ALEXANDER (15) represent the Lee Valley club in London. They are a brand new partnership for this season, and they looked very promising to me. They finished 7[SUP]th[/SUP] in the Short, 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in the Free, and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] overall.

2019 British Championships Short Dance
2019 British Championships Free Dance

Phebe won the British Solo Dance Championship for the past 2 seasons. She has a website, which can be found here.

I'm just letting you know about them, because the British Ice Dance field is starting to get competitive again. So, if you guys don't have a deep field of promising Ice Dancers coming through, it might be a good idea to make an approach on them. Because I wouldn't want to see them missing out just because our field is too deep.

CaroLiza_fan

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Hello again!

Just wanted to let you know that when I was watching the British Championships over the weekend, there was a brand new (and young) partnership that caught my eye in Junior Ice Dance.

I was intrigued by the girl in particular, because although she had a relatively common name, it was not a common spelling. And after digging around, I found out the reason: her Dad is Dutch.

Phebe BEKKER (14) and Theodore ALEXANDER (15) represent the Lee Valley club in London. They are a brand new partnership for this season, and they looked very promising to me. They finished 7[SUP]th[/SUP] in the Short, 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in the Free, and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] overall.

2019 British Championships Short Dance
2019 British Championships Free Dance

Phebe won the British Solo Dance Championship for the past 2 seasons. She has a website, which can be found here.

I'm just letting you know about them, because the British Ice Dance field is starting to get competitive again. So, if you guys don't have a deep field of promising Ice Dancers coming through, it might be a good idea to make an approach on them. Because I wouldn't want to see them missing out just because our field is too deep.

CaroLiza_fan

Yes, this is interesting...and the name is very Dutch (Bekker is very common over here). Thanks!