Dutch Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Small update: Thomas Kennes maintained his 8th place (he skated in 8th in both the SP and the FS) at Santa Claus Cup in Hungary.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Small update: Thomas Kennes maintained his 8th place (he skated in 8th in both the SP and the FS) at Santa Claus Cup in Hungary.

And Lindsay Van Zundert is in the lead going into the free skate in Junior Ladies!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
And Lindsay Van Zundert is in the lead going into the free skate in Junior Ladies!

Oh, wow! Thanks Harriet. I'm not a good one for following Juniors it seems, but this is a fantastic result for her. Hoping she keeps it up in the FS. I'm very pleased for her regardless.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Golden Spin has some Dutch participants. Three ladies: Kyarha van Tiel and Niki Wories are probably fighting it out who will represent our country at Euros, while Linden van Bemmel of course also wants to make a splash. No Thomas Kennes, but then he competed less than a week ago in Hungary. Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba will participate in the Pairs event. Let's hope they get their TES! No Ice Dancers. Nor are there any Juniors.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
First report from Golden Spin: the SP of the ladies event has finished. Niki Wories in in 8th, Kyarha van Tiel is 10th and Linden van Bemmel is last (25th).

Junior ladies at Santa Claus Cup will start at app. 16.25 (4.45 PM), so in a few hours we'll know whether Lindsay has managed to get herself a medal.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Junior ladies at Santa Claus Cup will start at app. 16.25 (4.45 PM), so in a few hours we'll know whether Lindsay has managed to get herself a medal.

Silver for Lindsay - good work!

Poor Linden looks to have had an attack of the nerves at Zagreb. Was it her first senior competition/first Challenger?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yay for Lindsay at Santa Claus Cup. Third in the Free, but managed to hold on to silver. Good for her, and actually for Dutch Figure Skating. I realise it's a senior B, not even a Challenger, but there were quite a few ladies there. It's not as if she were second with four entrants or something.

Poor Linden indeed. I don't know whether it's her first Challenger or something like that, but I'll try to find out more. A depressing outing for her, not really confidence building.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Hurrah, hurrah for Daria and Michel. 13th after the SP (out of 21) is not bad at all, and they also got their minimum TES for Euros for the Short. Wouldn't it be great to see a Dutch couple at Euros again? Now, please get those TES for the Long too!!!!!

No new information about Lindens bad skate, aside from that she tried. Nothing about being especially nervous or anything. Just hoping she'll still experience the whole event as a competition to work from....

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just hoping she'll still experience the whole event as a competition to work from....

Ah, sometimes it just happens. And as Vanessa James wisely says, in general you learn more from the bad skates than from the good ones. If Linden can look on it with that mindset she'll be okay. :)

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Hurrah, hurrah for Daria and Michel. 13th after the SP (out of 21) is not bad at all, and they also got their minimum TES for Euros for the Short. Wouldn't it be great to see a Dutch couple at Euros again? Now, please get those TES for the Long too!!!!!
And they missed minimum TES for Worlds just by 0.1 point. ;) Well, Rome was not built in one day. Europeans would be great for the team's first season if they are selected for the Dutch team. So go and get FS minimum TES too.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Next report from Golden Spin: Linden van Bemmel remained last, although it was 24th due to a withdrawal of another skater.

Niki and Kyarha both couldn't maintain their respective positions of 8th and 10th. In the final Niki was 12th and Kyarha 13th. Their difference in points: 0.25. Still an exciting rivalry in my view: the one was better in the short, the other in the long. Kyarha was 12th in the FS, Niki 14th.

Pairs Free Skate starts at 19.00 h. Rooting for Daria and Michel to skate well (I'm also rooting for some other pairs, but not as a part of this thread!).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Golden Spin news (though the Pairs event is not finished yet): Michel and Daria got their TES for the Free Skate for Euros. Hurrah!!!! Their score of 44.81 is even enough for Worlds (but they missed their SP TES for Worlds by a teeny weeny bit). I am so happy for them. I hope our Skating Federation will let them go to Euros. They've got the minimums, they've showed quite some progress along the season, so I feel they deserve that spot there.

I'll be back with their final standings, but I couldn't help myself and had to share this.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, Daria and Michel ended in 15th place out of 21 couples. They got their TES for Euros for both the SP (in which they were 13th) and the FS (where they were 16th) but funnily enough it was the lower placed FS in which they also managed to get their TES for Worlds. They really are improving which is nice to see. Onwards.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Some news on Dutch participation at Mentor Torun Cup in Poland from 7-12th of January 2020. Mikai van Ommeren will enter the Junior ladies competition and Chelsea Verhaegh and Sherim van Geffen are entering the Senior Dance competition.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The Dutch Federation made it official. There are going to be skaters in three disciplines at Euros:

Niki Wories will be back (she won the various skate offs with Kyarha van Tiel this season, though the difference is small. Nice rivalry between the two ladies).
Thomas Kennes will be back too. Let's hope he gets to skate his Free for once!
Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba will be there for the Pairs. According to our Federation there hasn't been a Dutch pair at Euros since 1996, so this really is quite an achievement. I am so happy for them that they made it (and of course that the Federation decided to send them because sometimes Federations demand much more than the minimum TES).

It's going to be a wonderful Euros, wherever they end up, as there will of course be many favourite skaters of mine doing their thing, but it's always a little special when there are Dutchmen present. Not for the medals (that would be a joke), but just to show Figure Skating is on the rise in my country. And that really makes me happy!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Mentor Torun Cup: Chelsea and Sherim are going to compete there in Senior Dance and Mikai will compete at junior ladies. You can find a lot of information (like the live stream, the results page, etc.) on the Mentor Torun competition page.

A few days ago I watched Mikai skating her SP (live at the rink in The Hague), and she really is a skater with potential. For such a young junior (she skated in Novice last year) she is also very artistic with good Skating Skills.

Chelsea and Sherim are on the rise, but as they've only been together for a relatively short time they need to gell at bit more as a team. Still, it's good to see them improving even if a Euros or Worlds aren't yet on the cards. They will get there!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Small update Mentor Torun: there is no longer a Dutch lady present. No Mikai - but that was a mistake on my side in any case - but no Lenne van Gorp either (who was still on the entries list yesterday). Thankfully Chelsea and Sherim are still on list!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, although I couldn't watch the results page says it all. Chelsea and Sherim are last, and they're not even close to the minimum TES for Euros, let alone for Worlds. In the RD that is. What a pity, I had hoped for so much more.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Final remark on the Torun Cup: Chelsea and Sherim remained last during the FS, although their TES wasn't the lowest of the participants. Again not enough for any qualification though. I hope they'll be going to the Bavarian Open in February, if only to keep on competing and continue improving this season. It is their first season together after all, so perhaps my expectations were a bit too high.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thrilled that Danilova/Tsiba made the FS in Pairs! I gave them an extra cheer or two, ladyjane. :)