Just got a pair of SP Teris dance boots and.... | Golden Skate

Just got a pair of SP Teris dance boots and....

orodriguez13

Spectator
I got them from the shop in SF, was fitted by the Spiteris and everything, walked around the shop in them and the boots felt perfect. Fast forward to when I got home last night and when I tried them on this morning (to try and help speed along break in process), and as soon as I put them on and stood up, oh man, one of my boots gave me a sharp pain around my bunionette and pinky toe. This area was actually punched out by the Spiteris when I was in the shop but idk if it somehow didn't hold during my drive back home or if this is going to be something I need to deal with until they are comfortably broken in. Anyone have experience with this? I also feel just a tiny bit of pain/tension around my bunions but I think thats just my feet adjusting and with time it'll go away. I never baked my last boots (Risport) prior to these, even if they were improperly fitted, so I'm not sure what I should do. I don't want my small bunionette to get worse :sad21: I tried the hair dryer method to try and push out the area further but it didnt do much (I'm also not sure I did it right)

I'm not sure whats considered normal pain in these boots but I'll be skating in them for the first time on Friday so I'll see then if the pain disappears....hopefully :pray:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I got them from the shop in SF, was fitted by the Spiteris and everything, walked around the shop in them and the boots felt perfect. Fast forward to when I got home last night and when I tried them on this morning (to try and help speed along break in process), and as soon as I put them on and stood up, oh man, one of my boots gave me a sharp pain around my bunionette and pinky toe. This area was actually punched out by the Spiteris when I was in the shop but idk if it somehow didn't hold during my drive back home or if this is going to be something I need to deal with until they are comfortably broken in. Anyone have experience with this? I also feel just a tiny bit of pain/tension around my bunions but I think thats just my feet adjusting and with time it'll go away. I never baked my last boots (Risport) prior to these, even if they were improperly fitted, so I'm not sure what I should do. I don't want my small bunionette to get worse :sad21: I tried the hair dryer method to try and push out the area further but it didnt do much (I'm also not sure I did it right)

I'm not sure whats considered normal pain in these boots but I'll be skating in them for the first time on Friday so I'll see then if the pain disappears....hopefully :pray:

You're going to be in pain awhile until they stretch to mold to YOUR foot. That punch they did would help a bit, but until your boots are more broken in the stretches they do won't hold long. I put small tennis ball like things in the "ball of foot/toes" part of my boot when I don't have them on and also after each stretch/ or punch out that I would get of the toe box area to keep them stretched longer.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
New skating boots can sometimes feel like blocks of concrete on your feet until they stretch and break-in.
In addition to the above tips, you may want to get some round cosmetic pads. Insert them into your nylons or socks in the areas where you're feeling the pain before you put on your new boots. They will provide some cushioning.
I still put in a couple of them for cushioning a couple of my trouble spots. Besides cosmetic pads, there are other products dedicated to cushioning problem areas in skates.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
My first pair of SP Teris felt fine at the shop. When I got them home and put them on to start the breaking in process, I honestly wondered how on earth I'd made such a massive - and expensive - mistake. But I persevered, broke them in and they were fabulous boots.

vlaurend

Final Flight
My first pair of SP Teris felt fine at the shop. When I got them home and put them on to start the breaking in process, I honestly wondered how on earth I'd made such a massive - and expensive - mistake. But I persevered, broke them in and they were fabulous boots.

It's possible that when you tried them on the next morning you didn't push your heel all the way back in the boot as you laced it. I did the same thing with my brand new pair of SP Teris recently and kind of scared myself until I realized I might not have pushed my heel back far enough (more padding in new boots makes you have to push the heel back harder).

Having said that, did you say you had the boot punched out at the bunion spot AND also heat-molded? No amount of pain is good, since you only have one pair of feet and you don't need them damaged further. Use ankle sleeves AND also use gel pads inside the boot wherever you have pressure spots. And get your bunion spot punched out as many times as you have to for it not to hurt.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's possible that when you tried them on the next morning you didn't push your heel all the way back in the boot as you laced it. I did the same thing with my brand new pair of SP Teris recently and kind of scared myself until I realized I might not have pushed my heel back far enough (more padding in new boots makes you have to push the heel back harder).

I wondered something similar about problems putting the boots on, but with the toes. If the boots are snug, you may have jammed your little toe backwards while putting them on, so the toe is not aligned with the spot that was punched out for it. Make sure you open the laces as wide as they will go and wiggle your toes around to seat them properly. I don't skate, but I do have wide feet (especially around the toes) and have to be very careful how I put boots on or the toes won't "sit right" in the boot.

orodriguez13

Spectator
Thanks for the replies everyone! I skated in them yesterday for only an hour or so and gosh, I totally forgot how hard the soles feel in new skates :eekn:. Anyway, I'm definitely going to have to punch out one area (one bunionette) as the area gave me sharp pains compared to rest of the boot after skating for only 5 minutes. I'll wait a couple weeks or so before I decide if I need to punch out my other boot. Instead of cosmetic pads I found a gel bunionette correcter, cut off the gel part that comes down the side of the foot, and slipped it into my sock. It definitely takes some of the pressure off.

Kinda off topic but when George's son (I think his name is Aaron? sorry) looked at my old boots he noticed one of the blades was slightly out of alignment. No wonder my spins and balance felt off before these new skates. Funny how these physical things you don't notice make you think all the problems are in your head :dumb:

Gosh I hope the punch out and the next few weeks prove I didn't just waste $500.