Keegan Messing: 'I'm still young at heart' | Golden Skate

Keegan Messing: 'I'm still young at heart'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two-time Canadian national medalist Keegan Messing reflects on nationals and his approach to the new figure skating season, his new programs for 2019-20, the quad Lutz and battling an aging body while staying competitive.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/HX9cAB5L7nw

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He is such a likeable person and skater. You wish him well and he is really trying. It is too bad both Nam and him struggled at worlds leaving Canada with only one man. Keegan if he skated clean could even podium. His past characters were wonderful He seems balanced and his fun relationship with Nam is fun if not charming. I fear that Canada will lose him soon as he now has a wife to support and with world's being in Canada this year it could be his swan song :( I would like to see him further develop. If he landed two quad lutzes and a quad toe in the free with two triple axels he could really compete. It will be hard to top his programs from the olympics and last season.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:thank: for the link! Even some of my friends who really don't follow figure skating avidly :love: Keegan. I will share this video with them. :hap10: :cheer:

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Thank you for the interview. I always enjoy Ted's interviewing style, and Keegan is such a pleasant guy. :) I wish him the very best for the season!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He is such a likeable person and skater. You wish him well and he is really trying. It is too bad both Nam and him struggled at worlds leaving Canada with only one man. Keegan if he skated clean could even podium. His past characters were wonderful He seems balanced and his fun relationship with Nam is fun if not charming. I fear that Canada will lose him soon as he now has a wife to support and with world's being in Canada this year it could be his swan song :( I would like to see him further develop. If he landed two quad lutzes and a quad toe in the free with two triple axels he could really compete. It will be hard to top his programs from the olympics and last season.

Likeable he is, but Keegan's problem has always been consistency, and his quads and 3As are less consistent than his other jumps. Hoping him to land two quad lutzes (when he has yet to land even one in competition), a 4T and two 3As all cleanly in one FS seems like pie in the sky.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:thank: for the link! Even some of my friends who really don't follow figure skating avidly :love: Keegan. I will share this video with them. :hap10: :cheer:

I will always remember Keegan as the hulk from 2011. Just a cute little spark plug. I love his spirit and hope he has a great season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

He doesn't necessarily need to support his wife... I have no idea what she does as a job...

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Exactly! Could you please stop with the outdated, sexist rhetoric, Skater Boy? Men don't have to 'support their wives' - Women are perfectly capable of supporting themselves!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Exactly! Could you please stop with the outdated, sexist rhetoric, Skater Boy? Men don't have to 'support their wives' - Women are perfectly capable of supporting themselves!

She may be supporting him, which is fair enough...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

I don't think Skater Boy meant it as you imply here. I feel he meant it more as Keegan being responsible for more than just his skating, just necessary to bring in a bit of income too. I'm quite sure his wife is capable of supporting herself, and I think Skater Boy knows that too. That's not (but correct me if I'm wrong) what he was referring to, it was just that not all partners will accept a partner who just costs (through his skating) and won't be part of the family build up, both financially or otherwise. I recall not being very willing myself to support a former boyfriend who just cycled. Not because I wanted him to support me financially, as I could and can support myself, but because I wasn't very willing to support his hobby while not getting anything in return, if only a nice cooked meal every so often.