Skin-Toned Tights | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skin-Toned Tights

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Crazy that tights in darker skin colors are so hard to come by, when we've had so many hugely influential figure skaters who are nonwhite... sigh.
If you’re referring to Asian skaters, being an Asian I can say that tights aren’t that hard to get to match because the default mondor color is basically a sickly yellowish tone ��.

As someone with a fairly average Northeastern European skin tone, Mondor's "Light Tan" is my "Month-Long Vacation in Bermuda." :laugh: Mondor and all the others really need to start making more colors at both ends of the spectrum, and don't even get me started on undertones...

It'll definitely be dance tights for me come competition time. :drama:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As someone with a fairly average Northeastern European skin tone, Mondor's "Light Tan" is my "Month-Long Vacation in Bermuda." :laugh: Mondor and all the others really need to start making more colors at both ends of the spectrum, and don't even get me started on undertones...

You should be wearing dance tights for competition, the mondor and the stronger/warmer tights are for practices.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
You should be wearing dance tights for competition, the mondor and the stronger/warmer tights are for practices.

I'm curious - why wouldn't you wear Mondor tights for a competition? I see lots of the kids doing that. Would you choose dance tights for competition because they are a closer match to your skin-tone / give you a smoother look on the ice?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm curious - why wouldn't you wear Mondor tights for a competition? I see lots of the kids doing that. Would you choose dance tights for competition because they are a closer match to your skin-tone / give you a smoother look on the ice?

Because they are too thick and look messy, they also make you look like you got a bad spray tan most of the time. Also, most dance tights are footed, which means no ugly thick practice tights outside of the boot. Dance tights also breathe better.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I once wore thick tights designed to clip underneath the arch of the boot for a competition. Still mortified by the pictures. Over 20 years later...

Mind you, I hate those over the boot tights that cover the boot completely, as well. I'd always wear dance tights for competition.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Because they are too thick and look messy, they also make you look like you got a bad spray tan most of the time. Also, most dance tights are footed, which means no ugly thick practice tights outside of the boot. Dance tights also breathe better.

Thank you for clarifying! :)

skybrigade

Rinkside
Mondor also makes skating tights in the color black, if you want them to blend with the boot and create the same effect as an otb tight, or if you want to go the otb route with a black tight. Then no one can tell your skates are actually black themselves. Not that judges can legally dock you for black boots.

Crazy that tights in darker skin colors are so hard to come by, when we've had so many hugely influential figure skaters who are nonwhite... sigh.

Yeah sadly there aren't "many" but there are still more than enough, especially popping up nowadays. I was trying to avoid black tights because my dress is also black, so there wouldn't be a lot of contrast.

I wouldn’t say we’ve reached the point where there’s ‘many’ black/brown figure skaters - certainly there could be a lot more. If you’re referring to Asian skaters, being an Asian I can say that tights aren’t that hard to get to match because the default mondor color is basically a sickly yellowish tone ��. For OP, if you are getting your dress made, your dressmaker will be dying the illusion to match your skin tone if you have any on your dress. You can buy a bunch of lighter tights and have the dressmaker dye them all in a batch so you have a supply. Alternately learn to do it yourself by trial and error!

I am so tired of Mondor's very yellow-based "light suntan", haha. It's the same thing every time.

And I'm actually making my own dress! I bought a base dress online so I'm actually adding/fixing everything else to it. Already had to dye some mesh to fit my skintone because the fabric stores in town didn't have my shade (I'd done it for a costume previously but the dye only went so far). I hadn't thought to throw tights in the same dye batch though... That's quite brilliant.

That makes a lot of sense. Goodness, so much to digest from this conversation.