Skin-Toned Tights | Golden Skate

Skin-Toned Tights

skybrigade

Rinkside
Hey, question regarding clothing for competitions here.

I've got my first competition soon, so I'm trying to get the right tights. Some of the other students at the rink recommended over-boot sin-toned tights, but I'm struggling to find any in my skin tone. I'm black and the darkest ones I've managed to find are all very light compared to me. It seems the biggest difference between skate tights and other tights is more stretch, but I really don't want them to be jarringly pale.

I discovered Capezio's has some "transition" tights that have a hole at the bottom of the foot in a closer color, has anyone paired those with skates? I don't know if they'd work / if I could just cover my heel and the top of my boot with those.

I also was considering buying a pair and dyeing them--would that work?

Or are there like... dance brands alternative to Capezio and Mondor and the like? Would just... *not* having over-boot tights be fine?

MiraiFan

Final Flight
The dance tights would not fit over your boot and don't have a strap to keep them in place. You could wear them inside your skates, though, no problem...

skybrigade

Rinkside
They really just need to look relatively seamless, don't they?

I'm also concerned about keeping my boots showing because I have black boots and I know that's kind of taboo for female skaters. But so long as the tights don't stand out too much, I... guess I should be okay?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm also concerned about keeping my boots showing because I have black boots and I know that's kind of taboo for female skaters.

It's not against the rules. But they would probably look better with black or at least dark tights, inside or outside, than with lighter tights.

But so long as the tights don't stand out too much, I... guess I should be okay?

Should be fine. As long as it looks neat and you feel comfortable.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Or are there like... dance brands alternative to Capezio and Mondor and the like? Would just... *not* having over-boot tights be fine?

Not having over-boot tights would be perfectly fine. (Personally, I hate over-boot tights, whatever shade they are!) Good luck with your competition!

Elija

On the Ice
Could you wear black tights inside your skates? Then your black skates won't stick out as much either. Would probably depend on what colour your dress is whether that would look ok.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I looked up the Capezio transition tights; those look like nice tights.

If the hole at the foot bottom does not bother you, I don't see any problem wearing those inside your boot. You could also have the hole stitched closed.

Another thought - if the tights are stretchy enough - slitting the hole towards the toes and heel and adding elastic around the opening so they could go over your boot. If you go this route, I'd buy the tights at least one size up and have someone familiar with altering stretch fabrics do this for you (you don't want to get runs / ladders in them before you wear them!).
You'd also want to have some type of securing mechanism from the foot part of the tight to go under the boot. In simplest form - safety pins. In professional form - elastic + velcro, or elastic + snaps.

Back in the 1990s, French skater Surya Bonaly skated without tights as she did not like the look of the colors available at the time. I don't think I'd recommend that tho.

I've seen lots of females skating in black boots these days. If your tights are close in color to your skin, you'll look fine.
Don't stress too much about the tights and Good luck!!!

skybrigade

Rinkside
It's not against the rules. But they would probably look better with black or at least dark tights, inside or outside, than with lighter tights.

Should be fine. As long as it looks neat and you feel comfortable.

At least my dress is black to match, should... balance out I guess. Thank you!

Not having over-boot tights would be perfectly fine. (Personally, I hate over-boot tights, whatever shade they are!) Good luck with your competition!

I admit they look weird and lumpy but they do have that ~long leg~ approach. Not that I really need it, I have long legs already. But thank you very much!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey, question regarding clothing for competitions here.

I've got my first competition soon, so I'm trying to get the right tights. Some of the other students at the rink recommended over-boot sin-toned tights, but I'm struggling to find any in my skin tone. I'm black and the darkest ones I've managed to find are all very light compared to me. It seems the biggest difference between skate tights and other tights is more stretch, but I really don't want them to be jarringly pale.

I discovered Capezio's has some "transition" tights that have a hole at the bottom of the foot in a closer color, has anyone paired those with skates? I don't know if they'd work / if I could just cover my heel and the top of my boot with those.

I also was considering buying a pair and dyeing them--would that work?

You don't need over the boot tights for competition unless it's some weird competition specific rule for the one you are doing.

These would work and are what I wear much of the time for practice and you can wear for competition if you choose, and they do come in darker skin tones and black, just make sure you wear the leg of these down into your boot and not on the outside. https://mondor.com/footless-evolution-tight-03339.html

I wear dance tights most of the time I perform (I'm super pale :( ) as a pro but not the ones you are talking about, those are the type ballet dancers wear and while they would go down into your boots, where the opening are is going to bother your foot in your boot.

Here are some other options for you. :)

Here is what I think you were looking for to come completely over the boot and in colors that should work for you.... https://mondor.com/boot-cover-evolution-tight-03338.html

If I find/think of any others I will post them in your thread here. :D

Good luck!

skybrigade

Rinkside
Could you wear black tights inside your skates? Then your black skates won't stick out as much either. Would probably depend on what colour your dress is whether that would look ok.

I hadn't even thought of this! I was just thinking of contrast because it seemed to be the norm... but now you're giving me ideas...

I looked up the Capezio transition tights; those look like nice tights.

Another thought - if the tights are stretchy enough - slitting the hole towards the toes and heel and adding elastic around the opening so they could go over your boot. If you go this route, I'd buy the tights at least one size up and have someone familiar with altering stretch fabrics do this for you (you don't want to get runs / ladders in them before you wear them!).
You'd also want to have some type of securing mechanism from the foot part of the tight to go under the boot. In simplest form - safety pins. In professional form - elastic + velcro, or elastic + snaps.

Back in the 1990s, French skater Surya Bonaly skated without tights as she did not like the look of the colors available at the time. I don't think I'd recommend that tho.

I've seen lots of females skating in black boots these days. If your tights are close in color to your skin, you'll look fine.
Don't stress too much about the tights and Good luck!!!

I haven't seen many at all but goodness I'm glad it's not becoming as taboo! I was concerned going in that they'd be like... automatic judgment deduction or something.

Definitely did not think of sewing elastic or something on the tights. That's a good idea there. Skating without tights... Surya was wild, I'll give her that much.

I'll try not to, I just think the worst. Thank you!!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/o30AAOSwx9lcOp53/s-l1600.jpg

Would these work? They're Mondor skating tights in Brown. You can search eBay for them, or other places might have them.

Not having over-the-boot tights would be fine. I think black boots would look really nice on a black skater. Of course, I'm not a judge, but skate color is just a custom, not a rule.

I didn't even think about Ebay! Those would totally work.

You don't need over the boot tights for competition unless it's some weird competition specific rule for the one you are doing.

These would work and are what I wear much of the time for practice and you can wear for competition if you choose, and they do come in darker skin tones and black, just make sure you wear the leg of these down into your boot and not on the outside. https://mondor.com/footless-evolution-tight-03339.html

I wear dance tights most of the time I perform (I'm super pale :( ) as a pro but not the ones you are talking about, those are the type ballet dancers wear and while they would go down into your boots, where the opening are is going to bother your foot in your boot.

Here are some other options for you. :)

Here is what I think you were looking for to come completely over the boot and in colors that should work for you.... https://mondor.com/boot-cover-evolution-tight-03338.html

If I find/think of any others I will post them in your thread here. :D

Good luck!

Oh you are fantastic, thank you so much! I've never competed before and my coach is giving me leeway to make/mod my own outfit, but he's got a bit of old school flair to him, so I'm trying to kind of... get it right the first time. Those linked ones are so neat! I wonder if I can track them down, Mondor's "brown" collection has been surprisingly rare.

Thank you all so much for all the advice!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh you are fantastic, thank you so much! I've never competed before and my coach is giving me leeway to make/mod my own outfit, but he's got a bit of old school flair to him, so I'm trying to kind of... get it right the first time. Those linked ones are so neat! I wonder if I can track them down, Mondor's "brown" collection has been surprisingly rare.

Thank you all so much for all the advice!!!

You should be able to order them online, no problem. I'm happy to help, you are so welcome! :)

If you need anything I'm here for you.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I am unfortunately not on the east coast! Do you know if their pro shop has an online store?

No, it doesn't that I know of, but you could probably call and ask if they'd mail them if they still have them. It's called Crystal Sports.

skybrigade

Rinkside
No, it doesn't that I know of, but you could probably call and ask if they'd mail them if they still have them. It's called Crystal Sports.

I'll check it out! Thank you!

Ebay has Brown in the 3338 Mondor over the boot tights in all sizes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mondor-333...ANY-SIZE-LIGHT-TAN-SUNTAN-BROWN-/112490921894

Edit: Oh, sorry. They have the brown, but only in child sizes. It says out of stock. Maybe contact the seller?

Here is 3338 brown in Adult Small only:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MONDOR-333...kating-Tights-Adult-Small-BROWN-/282315341418

The small problem is my downfall haha. Sadly I'd have to get L/XL being curvy and tall. But I'll message and see if they have any.

So I discovered Capezio actually has a store in my town. My near-perfect match is their 'Mocha' color, which is apparently a pain and a half to find. But I decided I'll try the transitions for starters and keep looking at more options for when I'm likely to rip these.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/o30AAOSwx9lcOp53/s-l1600.jpg

Would these work? They're Mondor skating tights in Brown. You can search eBay for them, or other places might have them.

Not having over-the-boot tights would be fine. I think black boots would look really nice on a black skater. Of course, I'm not a judge, but skate color is just a custom, not a rule.

Mondor also makes skating tights in the color black, if you want them to blend with the boot and create the same effect as an otb tight, or if you want to go the otb route with a black tight. Then no one can tell your skates are actually black themselves. Not that judges can legally dock you for black boots.

Crazy that tights in darker skin colors are so hard to come by, when we've had so many hugely influential figure skaters who are nonwhite... sigh.

jf12

Final Flight
Crazy that tights in darker skin colors are so hard to come by, when we've had so many hugely influential figure skaters who are nonwhite... sigh.

I wouldn’t say we’ve reached the point where there’s ‘many’ black/brown figure skaters - certainly there could be a lot more. If you’re referring to Asian skaters, being an Asian I can say that tights aren’t that hard to get to match because the default mondor color is basically a sickly yellowish tone 😂. For OP, if you are getting your dress made, your dressmaker will be dying the illusion to match your skin tone if you have any on your dress. You can buy a bunch of lighter tights and have the dressmaker dye them all in a batch so you have a supply. Alternately learn to do it yourself by trial and error!