What did you call that jump? Why triksel? | Golden Skate

What did you call that jump? Why triksel?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
No, not some kind of derivation from Rubik's Cube, but about the performance of a figure skating element.

Wikipedia defines it like this:

"The Axel is an edge jump, which means that the skater must spring into the air from bent knees. It is the oldest but most difficult figure skating jump. The Axel has three phases: the entrance phase (which ends with the takeoff), the flight phase, when the skater rotates in the air, and the landing phase, which begins when the skater's blade hits the ice and ends when she "is safely skating backwards on the full outside edge with one leg behind in the air".
The most important parts of the entrance phase is the transition phase (also called the pre-takeoff phase) and the takeoff itself. It has a forward takeoff, approached with a series of backward crossovers in either the opposite or the same direction to the jump's rotation, followed by a step forward onto the forward outside takeoff edge.

The skater must also approach the jump from the left forward inside edge of her skate, enabling the skater to step forward. The skater then kicks through with her free leg, helping her to jump into the air. The skater must land on the right back inside edge of her skate. The change in foot required to complete the Axel means that the skater must transfer her center of gravity, from the left side of her body to the right side, while rotating in the air so that she is in the correct position to land. As a result, the Axel has half an extra rotation, which makes a triple axel more a quadruple jump than a triple.
The single Axel consists of one-and-a-half revolutions, the double axel consists of two-and-half rotations, and the triple axel consists of three-and-a-half rotations.

"It takes incredible strength and body control for a skater to get enough height and to get into the jump fast enough to complete all the rotations before landing with a strong enough base to absorb the force generated".
"Falling on the triple axel is really brutal".

10 female skaters so far have landed Triksels in competition. As of 2019, 10 women have successfully completed the triple Axel in competition, three in the 2018-2019 season: Russian skater Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Japanese skater Rika Kihira, and American skater Alysa Liu.
-----
I will add that one girl, 12 year old Sof'ya Akat'yeva also landed a Triksel in September 2019 Moscow Open Championships.

Please discuss at libitum about the physical and mental dexterity needed to perform a Triksel, the technique, the wrap, the kick, the position of the head, the landing, the kick out, name the attempts and successes, just like in the quad jumps thread.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What did you call that jump? Why that usage?

Shouldn't it be trixels?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Where did 'trixsel'? come from? Horrible word... sounds like a cut-price candy that tastes of chemicals. As a lexiconophiliac, I firmly dislike and disapprove.

On the other hand, as a Yuzuru Hanyu and Yan Han fan I am equally firmly enamoured of the triple axel so the more male or female skaters that do them beautifully the better :) because when all is said and done axels are the most beautiful jumps of the lot.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Triksel is transliterated Russian slang, my analogy to Quad.

I thought it sounded good for a thread’s title, because of the nice ring in my Khrustalian ears.
But since the mods have already changed the threads title, I don’t mind.

Let’s discuss why a triksel is almost as rare, or even rarer in ladies singles?

It it technique, power or fear that keeps female skaters away from performing the skill?

Or like was suggested, under current rules an ‘easier’ quad brings almost the same reward?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Off topic, but has the cutesy nickname for triple axel been used on GS -- in a thread title or otherwise -- in discussion of men's triple axels?
I have not seen it before in my (non-exhaustive) browsing on GS.

If the cutesy nickname is being used only in connection with ladies, then I am against it.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Off topic, but has the cutesy nickname for triple axel been used on GS -- in a thread title or otherwise -- in discussion of men's triple axels?
I have not seen it before in my (non-exhaustive) browsing on GS.

If the cutesy nickname is being used only in connection with ladies, then I am against it.

It's not cutesy (or sexist if that's what you're implying).
Edwin said where he got it from, that's how Russians say triple axel in 1 word.
Tri-xel technically also works in english. It's just widely used in russian figure skating language.
"Tri" means three in russian, so in russian it sounds like three-xel, so kind of makes more sense =)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... "Tri" means three in russian ...

I am well aware: один, два, три, четыре, ...

It's not cutesy (or sexist if that's what you're implying).
Edwin said where he got it from, that's how Russians say triple axel in 1 word.
Tri-xel technically also works in english. It's just widely used in russian figure skating language. ...

But you did not answer my question:

Has the cutesy -- yes, on an English-language forum, it does sound cutesy -- nickname been used previously on GS? And when referring to men?

If it is only being used on GS for ladies, then I remain against that usage here.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've skated for many years, and have never heard the 3A called this ever. And that is coming from an elite that during parts of my competitive career trained under some of the best former Soviet coaches.

This is ridiculous. Just call it what it is. TRIPLE AXEL! And if you want to abbreviate it...3A has always worked in the past.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Has the cutesy -- yes, on an English-language forum, it does sound cutesy -- nickname been used previously on GS? And when referring to men?

If it is only being used on GS for ladies, then I remain against that usage here.

I don't know whether it was used before and I don't know whether it is cutesy at all. It sure isn't meant to be that way.
I don't care whether it is used or not for ladies or men, to be honest :laugh2:

LMAO... are people really infuriated by the use of this word :rofl2: um... LOL :biggrin: :slink:

PekkaRink

Rinkside

It‘s interesting you brought that up because I was thinking that the same. the search function resulted as expected in hits solely referring to female skaters.

@nusscracker things can be sexist even they are not intended to be. Especially when it comes language, we unconsciously might use or not use specific terms only when talking about men/women.

Edit: I only searched for „triksel“

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
@nusscracker things can be sexist even they are not intended to be. Especially when it comes language, we unconsciously might use or not use specific terms only when talking about men/women.
Sure, but that's barely true in this case. The fact that it 'sounds cutesy' to some, doesn't actually make it 'cutesy' or sexist.
I don't know, the Russian word is perfectly normal and is used for both men and women :confused2: It's not diminutive or something, it's just 2 words combined in one.
It's just a word, a term if you will, I feel like people are getting too raved up about something so meaningless. :confused2:

I'm not arguing with any of you, I just wanted to explain where it came from, and why it's not a big deal :biggrin:
But whatever, I don't care anyway, you guys keep fighting the good fight :thumbsup::biggrin: Change it if you want, if it sounds sexist, I'm not even sure people who use that word actually care anyway. ;)

PekkaRink

Rinkside
I can imagine that Russians use it for both genders while non-natives only do so referring to women (because it sounds cutesy to a non-native).

I‘ve also trained under Russian coaches and never heard the term but that’s probably because I was nowhere near a 3A 😄

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I can imagine that Russians use it for both genders while non-natives only do so referring to women (because it sounds cutesy to a non-native).

I‘ve also trained under Russian coaches and never heard the term but that’s probably because I was nowhere near a 3A ��

double axel in russian is also shortened into "doopel" (дупель) :)
Also Rittberger is shortened into Ritt sometimes :biggrin: So you can tell russians love shortening some terms :)

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Does "Quacksel" sound too cutesy/sexist/quacky to anyone? :biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does "Quacksel" sound too cutesy/sexist/quacky to anyone? :biggrin:

Yes, it does:biggrin:

But I have already learned in other posts of my own not to presume that what sounds perfectly normal to one ear will sound normal to another.

I'm happy to learn the derivations of words, but as this is an English language forum, I'll stick with triple axel. Or 3A:)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
All the made up names that no one else calls them sound silly.

We need to stick with their real names- double axel, triple axel, quad axel and so on.

Show some respect for the sport.

zounger

Medalist
All the made up names that no one else calls them sound silly.

We need to stick with their real names- double axel, triple axel, quad axel and so on.

Show some respect for the sport.

Agree, I think the thread name should be changed.