Costumes that got constume/prop violation deduction? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Costumes that got constume/prop violation deduction?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaitlyn Weaver told a story about using her grandmother's necklace as part of a costume. The clasp came undone, and she skated for a while with the necklace in her hand, before tucking it in her dress.

There may be other stories of skaters tucking stay bits of costuming into their dress(es).

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
At the 2014 Olympics Alex and Maia Shibutani's costumes somehow got hooked together during a lift. They couldn't do their dismount and had to improvise until they worked it loose.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/u-s-ice-dancers-suffer-wardrobe-malfunction-during-competition

Kinda off topic, but that reminds me of this moment https://youtu.be/UQEudPJoM-g?t=170
which honestly is one of my favourite moments, I lose it over how much dick button can't stop laughing :laugh:

elysium

On the Ice
Among the costume failures I remember Elena Ilynikh lost one of her bracelet during the FD at 2017 Russian Nationals; they got a deduction and it costed them the third place (to Katsalapov/Sinitsina no less!) and the spot at world!
Ilinykh/Zhiganshin had another costume failure at 2015 Cup of China as well, though the deduction did not matter for the outcome.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I remember seeing a video where Eric Radford described an incident where Meagan's blade caught in the front of his shirt during one of their moves and ripped the shirt open.
I think it might have been during a show/gala though, so no deduction for them!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I remember seeing a video where Eric Radford described an incident where Meagan's blade caught in the front of his shirt during one of their moves and ripped the shirt open.
I think it might have been during a show/gala though, so no deduction for them!

And I'm sure many members of the audience did not regret it in the least!

Can we have a chorus please of That's Entertainment...!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Under the 6.0 there was some kind of deducations for the costumes. I don't remember the details. One infamous episode was at 1989 European Championships when the British judge marked down Alexander Fadeev down because she could see his dance belt through his white trousers. She tries to explain it at minute 3:38: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ECupWBess

That was a very interesting video. Revealing too. Especially when she admits that as a judge there is a little bit of pressure to “follow the crowd”.

Tbf I understand the Fadeev deduction but the Bonaly one was a little extreme. Especially because it was during a figures competition.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
True; shouldn't it violate the modesty rule???

No, because the costume didn't violate that rule by design: the required percentage of Gabriella's torso was covered when the costume was in place. It only breached the rule due to an accident, and that rule addresses design/intent, not unplanned and unintentional on-ice incidents. Because no part of the costume fell onto the ice, the other kind of deduction didn't apply either.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
That was a very interesting video. Revealing too. Especially when she admits that as a judge there is a little bit of pressure to “follow the crowd”.

Tbf I understand the Fadeev deduction but the Bonaly one was a little extreme. Especially because it was during a figures competition.

I don't see what is so wrong with Bonaly outfit, but then again she got criticized a lot for her outfits and hair and not wearing tights. Lots of the things you could get away with today more easily, imho.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't see what is so wrong with Bonaly outfit, but then again she got criticized a lot for her outfits and hair and not wearing tights. Lots of the things you could get away with today more easily, imho.

That's because you live in the 21st century whilst the ISU is inhabiting some by-gone era of their own delusions, where women are always Ladies and every female ice dancer always always always wears a dress or at least a skirt.

lappo

Final Flight
That's because you live in the 21st century whilst the ISU is inhabiting some by-gone era of their own delusions, where women are always Ladies and every female ice dancer always always always wears a dress or at least a skirt.

On that subject, is it possible for ladies skater to wear pants (not catsuit, just pants/trousers, don't know the appropriate name)? Or is it just allowed on specific occasion (e.g. the hip hop RD)?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't think she got a deduction but, Tonya Harding's dress came undone at the beginning of her SP one year and she had to restart her program.

gkelly

Record Breaker
The costume rules from the current ISU rulebook:

Rule 501
Clothing
1. At ISU Championships, the Olympic Winter Games and International Competitions, the clothing of the Competitors must be modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition – not garish or theatrical in design. Clothing may, however, reflect the character of the music chosen. The clothing must not give the effect of excessive nudity inappropriate for the discipline. Men must wear full length trousers. In addition, in Ice Dance, Ladies must wear a skirt. Accessories and props are not permitted. Clothing that does not adhere to these guidelines will be penalized by a deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph 1.n). For Ice Dance, exceptions to the restrictions may be announced by the IDTC if appropriate to the Rhythms selected for the Rhythm Dance.
2. The decorations on costumes must be non-detachable. Part of the costume or decoration falling on the ice will be penalized by a deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph 1.n).

Rule 353, paragraph 1.n is a list of possible deductions and how many points they cost. The ones relevant to costumes are
Costume and prop Rule 501, paragraph 1
- 1.0 per program

Part of the costume/decoration falls on the ice
Rule 501, paragraph 2
- 1.0 per program

These rules have changed at various points over the years, so specific costumes incidents from years earlier may have occurred under different rules.

Aside from that, there are a number of different questions here:

*Did this costume or costume mishap violate any of the rules that were in place at the time?
*If so, was the deduction applied?
*Did the deduction have any effect on the final results?
*Did a costume offend the taste and sensibilities of any of the judges, apart from whether it was within the rules of the time, and thus possibly have an effect on how they scored the skater?
*Did a costume malfunction have an effect on the performance and scores aside from any deductions?
*Was there a costume malfunction or questionable/bad costume that was memorable for its extremity, regardless of whether it violated any rules?

Some of these questions are relatively easy to answer if we can see the deduction on the protocols and know what the rules were at the time.

Others are more fodder for speculation.

pohatta

On the Ice
At Europeans 1994 Rahkamo & Kokko were criticized not only for their clothes but having dirt on their faces in La Strada. At the Olympics Kokko got rid of his patched jacket and the dirt was gone.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
On that subject, is it possible for ladies skater to wear pants (not catsuit, just pants/trousers, don't know the appropriate name)? Or is it just allowed on specific occasion (e.g. the hip hop RD)?

Yes, it's perfectly possible, but so far few have chosen to. In ice dance, though, female skaters have to wear skirts unless they are specifically granted permission to wear pants for a particular program for the duration of the season. This year pants are allowed in the RD, and so far we've seen Lilah Fear and Adelina Galyavieva wearing them that I recall.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Alexei Urmanov received a deduction in the early 90s because he was wearing white tights over a thong and when he fell during the performance the wet tights became see-through. It was pretty hilarious. Maybe Skate America or Canada 1993?

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexei Urmanov received a deduction in the early 90s because he was wearing white tights over a thong and when he fell during the performance the wet tights became see-through. It was pretty hilarious. Maybe Skate America or Canada 1993?

Is this the costume you are thinking of?

Alexei Urmanov 1993 Skate America https://youtu.be/Jyx2O05yKLY