Heel slipping in new Edea Overture boots | Golden Skate

Heel slipping in new Edea Overture boots

Hi all,

So I recently started taking lessons and decided to get fit for some boots. I ended up with a pair of edea overtures in standard width.
When I was fitted the tech didn’t measure my feet, they just asked for my shoe size and popped me in a boot they thought would fit. They made me whack my heel into the back of the boot (I have been doing this since).
Obviously with it being my first pair of skates I didn’t know what to look out for or how to tie them. The tech tied them super tight and I did complain of it feeling like my feet were being pressed and was told this was normal because they are memory foam they need time to adjust to my feet. I obviously couldn’t feel any slipping whilst I had them on the first time and I took the ice at the rink there to test them out. My feet were numb for the better part of the session, but I assumed this was because they were so new and it wouldn’t be a problem. I was a little concerned because I do think my feet are a bit wide at the front and my second toe is longer than my big toe so I was concerned initially that they weren’t wide enough.
I did some research and figured out the skate tech had tied them all wrong and that is why my feet were numb. So I started to tie them the edea way, looser in the toes and tight near the top to lock my heel in.
But now I’m having another issue, I can feel my heel slipping in one boot, it’s not a rubbing and I’m not jumping yet. But if I jump just straight into the air with guards on off ice, I can feel both my heels raise, my left foot more than my right. I’ve noticed that when I’m on the ice I find it harder to find my centre on my left foot because of this but I seem to be okay on my right foot. I can also feel my left heel moving when I walk with guards on. The insoles have started to get marked so I can see the fit a little now and there is a small gap between my toe marks and the end of the insole and it doesn’t look like the heel section is completely marked there is a small semi circle of space on each heel, it’s not a big gap by any means.
Please can somebody help me out, I’m not too sure if my boot is too long and not wide enough or if it’s just the heel that is narrow or what is happening. I don’t know if it’s important but I felt arch pain the first few times wearing them also, I assume this was something to do with how tight they had been laced?

zjamic

Rinkside
Hi all,

So I recently started taking lessons and decided to get fit for some boots. I ended up with a pair of edea overtures in standard width.
When I was fitted the tech didn’t measure my feet, they just asked for my shoe size and popped me in a boot they thought would fit. They made me whack my heel into the back of the boot (I have been doing this since).
Obviously with it being my first pair of skates I didn’t know what to look out for or how to tie them. The tech tied them super tight and I did complain of it feeling like my feet were being pressed and was told this was normal because they are memory foam they need time to adjust to my feet. I obviously couldn’t feel any slipping whilst I had them on the first time and I took the ice at the rink there to test them out. My feet were numb for the better part of the session, but I assumed this was because they were so new and it wouldn’t be a problem. I was a little concerned because I do think my feet are a bit wide at the front and my second toe is longer than my big toe so I was concerned initially that they weren’t wide enough.
I did some research and figured out the skate tech had tied them all wrong and that is why my feet were numb. So I started to tie them the edea way, looser in the toes and tight near the top to lock my heel in.
But now I’m having another issue, I can feel my heel slipping in one boot, it’s not a rubbing and I’m not jumping yet. But if I jump just straight into the air with guards on off ice, I can feel both my heels raise, my left foot more than my right. I’ve noticed that when I’m on the ice I find it harder to find my centre on my left foot because of this but I seem to be okay on my right foot. I can also feel my left heel moving when I walk with guards on. The insoles have started to get marked so I can see the fit a little now and there is a small gap between my toe marks and the end of the insole and it doesn’t look like the heel section is completely marked there is a small semi circle of space on each heel, it’s not a big gap by any means.
Please can somebody help me out, I’m not too sure if my boot is too long and not wide enough or if it’s just the heel that is narrow or what is happening. I don’t know if it’s important but I felt arch pain the first few times wearing them also, I assume this was something to do with how tight they had been laced?

The correct tie is loose at the toes, but not overly loose. Then, you tighten as you go to keep your heel locked in place, so the bend is the tightest. As you go up the eyehooks you loosen your laces a bit because Edea technique is to have "looser" feeling around the ankles.

If you were never fitted properly then your skates are probably off. It does not sound like the person you got your skates from is knowledgeable in Edea. If you have narrow feet, then I would guess that your width should be a "B" because Edea standard width is "C." Also, the more you break in your skates the tighter you will tie your Edea, and that is something that my skate tech told me. Not mention, your feet are not symmetrical. Typically one foot is a few centimeters longer and wider than the other, which explains movement you feel with your one skate than the other.

I would find another skate tech and get measured/fitted properly. If the boots are the right measurment, then try wearing gel pads or tights in your boots (if you already don't). If you were measured wrong the skate tech will know what to do and how to fix it.

Good luck

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
You definitely need a proper fitting from someone who's experienced with figure skates in specific. Skate size can't be predicted from shoe size.

I don't know anything about Edea, but FWIW, I had arch pain and heel slipping in boots that were too long and numbness in boots that were too narrow.

Jackson and Risport seem to be the best for feet that are wider at the front than the heel.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You definitely need a proper fitting from someone who's experienced with figure skates in specific. Skate size can't be predicted from shoe size.

I don't know anything about Edea, but FWIW, I had arch pain and heel slipping in boots that were too long and numbness in boots that were too narrow.

Jackson and Risport seem to be the best for feet that are wider at the front than the heel.

I've taught you well, my friend. ;)

Sam L

Medalist

Risport, at least the RF line, is very narrow at the front. It's for those with tapered toes. Jackson is for those with feet that are wider at the front it has a very wide toe box. I've worn both Jackson and Risport and Jackson was a nightmare for me, the toe box was too wide and the mid section was too narrow but the Risport toe box and mid section fit me fine.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Risport, at least the RF line, is very narrow at the front. It's for those with tapered toes. Jackson is for those with feet that are wider at the front it has a very wide toe box. I've worn both Jackson and Risport and Jackson was a nightmare for me, the toe box was too wide and the mid section was too narrow but the Risport toe box and mid section fit me fine.

Yeah, some people can wear both, but I doubt I'm one of them either given that I wear a wide width even in Jackson. The toe box on my Freestyles is almost round at the front.

zjamic

Rinkside
Yeah, some people can wear both, but I doubt I'm one of them either given that I wear a wide width even in Jackson. The toe box on my Freestyles is almost round at the front.

I feel you hanyuufan5. I used to be in Jacksons that were stretched to allow more room in the toe box. Now, I skate in Edea "e" width skates.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I feel you hanyuufan5. I used to be in Jacksons that were stretched to allow more room in the toe box. Now, I skate in Edea "e" width skates.

Is the Edea E width a full custom boot? Just curious as I wear a EE width semi custom Jackson, and figured that to go to any other brand was going to require a full custom.

Ykai

On the Ice
I went to a fitter with a friend. She has the so called compressible feet(??). Basically when her feet are inside the skates, they become smaller, so she ended up with a pair of skates half size smaller than her normal sneaker size. She said her heels used to slip and she could not hold an outside edge, very much like what you have described. But now her balance improved a lot with the new pair. I could imagine the size was not right for your skates.

Thank you so much for all the responses! I think I’m going to have to take a trip to another skate tech. Does anybody know any good skate techs in the UK?