James and Cipres withdraw from GP events | Golden Skate

James and Cipres withdraw from GP events

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's an article that basically says they are skipping the GP and plan to compete at nationals and Euros.

It's in French, but here is Google translation:

European champions Vanessa James and Morgan Ciprès had to make a decisive choice

They were the sunbeam of French figure skating last season. After a few galleys and places of second choice, Vanessa James and Morgan Ciprès had indeed woken up their sport in the couple category, finally settling on the top step of the European podium and finishing an honest - but disappointing for them- fifth place World. At the price of much suffering.

Today, the new darlings of the tricolor public aim even higher: the Beijing Olympic Games in 2022 and the World Cup that same year which will take place in France in Montpellier. But to do this, they chose to preserve themselves and make strategic choices for their upcoming seasons. As just mentioned by a statement the French Federation of Ice Sports. This translates into fewer competitions for them. They want to focus on the qualitative and the quantitative.

As a result, Morgan and Vanessa opted not to participate for the 2019/2020 season until the ELITE French Championship in Dunkerque (December 19-21) and the European Championship in Graz (Austria) from May 20-26. next January.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
well vanessa is doing battle of the blades...

The final Battle of the Blades show is Oct 31. They were scheduled for GP France which starts Nov 1.

I don't see how they could do both. Even if Vanessa was eliminated first. she's still train for and film the second episode on Sept 26. I can't remember if they have all the contestants back on the final episode; I think they might.

russell30

Final Flight
The final Battle of the Blades show is Oct 31. They were scheduled for GP France which starts Nov 1.

I don't see how they could do both. Even if Vanessa was eliminated first. she's still train for and film the second episode on Sept 26. I can't remember if they have all the contestants back on the final episode; I think they might.

Not surprising really, when I saw she was down for Battle of the Blades, i thought they might take the season off....but good to know they are planning to compete at european's at least, they might change there mind about Worlds if they win GOLD at Euro's

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not surprising really, when I saw she was down for Battle of the Blades, i thought they might take the season off....but good to know they are planning to compete at european's at least, they might change there mind about Worlds if they win GOLD at Euro's
As I read it, the article doesn't say they aren't going to Worlds this year, just that they aren't competing until French nationals and Europeans in January.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm not really surprised, though unhappy because I love to watch them. I was looking forward to seeing them, perhaps at one GP. Now we'll have to wait a bit longer before we see them skate. Let's just hope doing a lesser number of competitions (together with Battle of the Blades) works for them.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Not surprising, considering Battle of the Blades, but I'm still disappointed. I was dying to see them live in Grenoble :sad4:

LynsJ

On the Ice
So disappointed as I’m going to IDF but wishing them the best. Any ideas who will replace them at IDF?

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Not surprising, considering Battle of the Blades, but I'm still disappointed. I was dying to see them live in Grenoble :sad4:

I hear Carly Simon singing, "Anticipation, is making me wait, is keeping me wa-ai-ai-ai-ting". :biggrin:

I just :pray: the anticipation will be so worth it! Perhaps you can make it to the French Nationals? :pray:

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
So disappointed as I’m going to IDF but wishing them the best. Any ideas who will replace them at IDF?

Unfortunately, to my knowledge the French only have one other pairs team the Jr's Hamon/Strekalin. It's either them or perhaps a Canadian team, which would be cool.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Unfortunately, to my knowledge the French only have one other pairs team the Jr's Hamon/Strekalin. It's either them or perhaps a Canadian team, which would be cool.

It can't be Hamon/Strekalin, they're on the JGP again this year. There are two other senior French pairs - Mendoza/Kovalev and Kerrivan/Pierre - and they'll both be competing at the Masters de Patinage, so if they have the required minimums a decision may be made as to whether one of them gets the slot then.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It can't be Hamon/Strekalin, they're on the JGP again this year. There are two other senior French pairs - Mendoza/Kovalev and Kerrivan/Pierre - and they'll both be competing at the Masters de Patinage, so if they have the required minimums a decision may be made as to whether one of them gets the slot then.

Yeah but have you seen Camille skate lately?? :biggrin: Would the French risk such an option?

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Per this post, FFSG have made a decision for the North Korean pair. :agree:

Ryom/Kim have got French GP's vacant spot according to the French Fed webpage aboout Grenoble GP (see list under "partecipants" section)

https://ffsg.org/evenement/internat...age-artistique-danse-sur-glace-2019-grenoble/

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Not sure how some might take this, but there's news from the Vanessa & Morgan camp for European fans! Just announced: Vanessa & Morgan are coming to Poland for Art On Ice in Gdansk, Poland on December 20 - 21, 2019.

Here's your chance to at least see them live, until they step back on competition ice.

With all of these show invitations they are now getting, man am I happy they didn't win Worlds! Alas, so so happy with their sudden rise in popularity. :gclap:

pesto

On the Ice
I'm disappointed. They would usually be one of the highlights of the GP season for me. And top talent seems very sparse in pairs at the moment.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm disappointed. They would usually be one of the highlights of the GP season for me. And top talent seems very sparse in pairs at the moment.

I'm not so sure about that, the competition in pairs looks more intense this year, with more and more expressive and creative programs than ever. And their training mates Denney/Frazier are looking pretty good this year, so I'll be cheering them on! :cheer:

pesto

On the Ice
I'm not so sure about that, the competition in pairs looks more intense this year, with more and more expressive and creative programs than ever. And their training mates Denney/Frazier are looking pretty good this year, so I'll be cheering them on! :cheer:

Glad to hear that. Last year's GPs were not great for pairs, with the exception of James and Cipres. I'll look out for Denney and Frazier.