2019-20 Ladies' power ranking | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Ladies' power ranking

skatenewbie

Medalist
The difference now is that Sasha has four quads, and one of the quads replaces a 2A, and her quad consistency appears to be higher than last year. Alena only really had a shot last season if Sasha missed her jumps, which is becoming less likely (somewhat scarily). She also doesn't have an edge in the short over Sasha yet until she puts a 3A in the short too. Until that happens, it's only really Alina and Rika that have the potential numbers to possibly catch Sasha unawares. I'm not sold on Anna yet.
Alena does have edge over Sasha in short program, not much but 2-3 point at least. Alena get 77 in her senior debut while Sasha 74. Alena could get 79 or maybe 80 in GP even without 3A in short. She get much higher GOE also higher PCS as well. In junior she already scored 76 once while Sasha never go above 75 yet. But in free skate Sasha will destroy the gap. If Alena does 3A in FS the gap will be much closer though. If she does it in SP as well then they could tie.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Finlandia Trophy gave the answer to a very important question: "Who are you, Miss Kostornaya?" The answer is: she is one of those who have come to slay

#1-3 Alina Zagitova (235 - 240) - 0.5

#1-3 Alexandra Trusova (230 - 245) - 0.5

#1-3 Alyona Kostornaya (235 - 240) +5

Alyona is one of the top three now. If she adds a 3A to the short, I would move her to 240 - 245 range. It will mean that Alina will have very hard time competing with her and it will be between Alyona and Sasha.

#4 Rika Kihira (225 - 235) -1

There is an upside to Rika's ranking. She needs to bring back 3Lz after her injury. And, of course, she no longer has "the luxury" to fall on 3A

#5 Anna Scherbakova (220 - 230) -1

#6 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (210 - 220) -1

No edges, no doubles instead of triples. That's the only solution for Liza who finally goot the full set of triple axels.

#7 Evgeniya Medvedeva (210 - 220) -1

Zhenya needs a joker during the GP series. That's her last and only chance. Does she have one?

#8-10 Bradie Tennell (205 - 215)

#8-10 Kaori Sakomoto (205 - 215)

#8-10 Satoko Miyahara (205 - 215)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Here are the top 10 Challenger series scores so far:

1. Alexandra Trusova - 238.69
2. Alena Kostornaia - 234.84
3. Rika Kihira - 224.16
4. Anna Shcherbakova - 218.2
5. Evgenia Medvedeva - 217.43
6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - 214.38 (212.53 at Finlandia)
7. Mariah Bell - 205.13
8. Satoko Miyahara - 204.3
9. Young You - 200.89 (199.29 at US Classic)
10. Kaori Sakamoto - 194.42

If we go by these, Trusova is firmly in the lead, but not by a huge distance. There's definitely a gap between Trusova/Kostornaia and Kihira, but she's not out of it I'd say. Shcherbakova is farther down than I would have expected but with lots of potential to rise this season. And look at Mariah Bell outscoring Miyahara and Sakamoto.

Alina Zagitova (154.41 FS score at Japan Open) and Bradie Tennell (124.91 FS score at Japan Open) didn't skate at a Challenger, but both could/probably will take a top 10 slot once we're through the first few weeks of the Grand Prix.

Yuna Luna

Rinkside
Here are the top 10 Challenger series scores so far:

1. Alexandra Trusova - 238.69
2. Alena Kostornaia - 234.84
3. Rika Kihira - 224.16
4. Anna Shcherbakova - 218.2
5. Evgenia Medvedeva - 217.43
6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - 214.38 (212.53 at Finlandia)
7. Mariah Bell - 205.13
8. Satoko Miyahara - 204.3
9. Young You - 200.89 (199.29 at US Classic)
10. Kaori Sakamoto - 194.42

If we go by these, Trusova is firmly in the lead, but not by a huge distance. There's definitely a gap between Trusova/Kostornaia and Kihira, but she's not out of it I'd say. Shcherbakova is farther down than I would have expected but with lots of potential to rise this season. And look at Mariah Bell outscoring Miyahara and Sakamoto.

Alina Zagitova (154.41 FS score at Japan Open) and Bradie Tennell (124.91 FS score at Japan Open) didn't skate at a Challenger, but both could/probably will take a top 10 slot once we're through the first few weeks of the Grand Prix.

The difference between Kostornaia and Trusova is 3-4 points, but remember that Kostornaia’s second 3A was called UR, so her total score could have overtaken Trusova’s if she had landed it cleanly. And that’s without 3A in the short program. :)

SkatingFan9

On the Ice
The difference between Kostornaia and Trusova is 3-4 points, but remember that Kostornaia’s second 3A was called UR, so her total score could have overtaken Trusova’s if she had landed it cleanly. And that’s without 3A in the short program. :)

True, but it works both ways. Trusova botched her 3Lz+3Lo combo in the FS and could have scored 6-7 points higher. Not to mention her PCS will not always stay so 'low'.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
True, but it works both ways. Trusova botched her 3Lz+3Lo combo in the FS and could have scored 6-7 points higher. Not to mention her PCS will not always stay so 'low'. I would also be shocked if she didn't debut a 3A by worlds at the latest.

Agreed. Also, I would point out that at the CS competitions crucial for considering the potential of Alexandra, Alyona and Anna, the "scoring standards" were not exactly the same, to put it mildly.

Yuna Luna

Rinkside
Agreed. Also, I would point out that at the CS competitions crucial for considering the potential of Alexandra, Alyona and Anna, the "scoring standards" were not exactly the same, to put it mildly.

Yes and I think that Anna got an unfair call in the SP, so her score could have been at least a few points higher. I think she is much closer to Sasha and Aliona than the CS scores make it seem.

andromache

Record Breaker
1. Trusova - all about that base value
2. Kostornaia - the total package now that she has a 3A
3. Zagitova - GOE and PCS queen, but has not yet showed any technical improvements to contend with the top 2
4. Kihira - close to being the total package, but needs to continue working on PCS
5. Shcherbakova - basically tied with Kihira, IMO, but I'm putting Kihira ahead of her because she will get a bonus as Japanese #1 that Anna won't get because of the sheer Russian depth. her 4Lz isn't as consistent as Trusova's quads, and she doesn't have the skating skills of Alena.
6. Tukt - 3As + judges respect her as a veteran
7. Medvedeva - judges love her and she is constantly improving, but the BV/GOE limitation is real. least likely to make the Worlds team this season among the other top Russian ladies.
8. Sakamoto - she had some momentum last season but has kind of fallen off this season. still, season is early and she has strong potential to have a good GP season.
9. Tursynbaeva - injuries make her a question mark right now but could definitely play spoiler later in the season
10. Miyahara - strong programs this season, relatively consistent, limitations due to the size of her jumps

Yuna Luna

Rinkside
True, but it works both ways. Trusova botched her 3Lz+3Lo combo in the FS and could have scored 6-7 points higher. Not to mention her PCS will not always stay so 'low'. I would also be shocked if she didn't debut a 3A by worlds at the latest.

Oh, I agree on this, I just wanted to highlight how close Aliona got to Sasha’s score with just 2 triple axels and a UR on one of them. I just thought that was amazing, and I have such a soft spot for Aliona because nobody thought she would be competitive at all this season, and then BAM, she comes out with this! I’m just so happy for her. :)

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Mine before the Grand Prix:
1. Alexandra Trusova
If she lands the quads, it’ll be very difficult to beat her, only those in the top tier have a chance of beating her if she isn’t on. But her PCS could hold her back in the long run...

2. Alena Kostornaia
She is one of the strongest artistic skaters of this season, and, after landing triple axels at Finlandia, she has shown that she can take on the girls doing the quads as well.

3. Rika Kihira
Although Worlds was not her best competition last year, she was the dominant skater of the season, with worlds being her only international loss. She has the technical goods and artistry to keep herself in contention, but she’ll probably need the quad Sal in order to push for the top.

4. Alina Zagitova
Name recognition is important, and that’s what Alina’s got right now. As the world and Olympic champion, she’s proven that she can perform under high pressure. She’s going for quality over quantity with no quads or triple axel, but she’s still a major threat when she goes clean.

5. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Say what you want about her PCS and horrible programs, but Liza is still a big contender this season. Doing three triple axels will help her rack up the points, and if she can put a quad toe in (there are rumors she’s training it), watch out.

6. Anna Shcherbakova
Anna be #6 on my list, but I’m not counting her out. The quad lutz is amazing, and she’ll need it every single time. If she really wants to push for top spot, however, I think she needs a second quad. She is capable of beating Liza and Alina as we saw at Lombardia and Russian Nationals, but she was more inconsistent than the ladies listed ahead of her last year, which she has to fix.

7. Young You
Watching her in the Challenger Series, she has great potential to improve and be a big threat. But She will need to land the triple axel and consistently do two clean programs.

8. Evgenia Mevedeva
Watching Evgenia has been bittersweet for me this year. She’s looking pretty strong (I think she was Sick at Shanghai), but unfortunately, it will be really difficult for her to get out of Russia this year. She’ll need the quad Sal to compete, and if she makes it out of Nationals, she’s a much bigger threat.

9. Mariah Bell
I think Mariah’s going to have a great season this year. She looked really strong at Nebelhorn and seems really confident in her training with Raf and Adam. She’s going to have to up her jump content if she wants to push for medals.

10. Satoko Miyahara/ Kaori Sakamoto
Both have been really strong in the past, but both haven’t looked as strong so far this season. But they both have the talent and potential to turn that around as the season progresses.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Oh and I have such a soft spot for Aliona because nobody thought she would be competitive at all this season, and then BAM, she comes out with this! I’m just so happy for her. :)

Well, I thought she was going to be competitive. Months ago, I said Kostornaia will have a more successful senior debut than Trusova and Scherbakova. I also said Trusova will be nowhere near "unbeatable" and that Scherbakova won't make the GPF/least likely of the three to qualify. It's still very early in the season, but it's looking like I'm two for three so far. Well, Challengers are over. In before Skate America:

1. Rika Kihira : Her issue last year was inconsistency with the 3A in the SP. But she’s definitely been consistent with the 3A so far. She’s also looking very good so far as she scored 220+ without a 3Lz, negative GOES, and lackluster performances. This is huge because she’s an all-around skater that can get around 33/74 PCS with clean programs and her other elements are strong, as well. Her lack of facial expression may hurt her, but she’s quite expressive with her body and has complex choreography in her programs.

2. Alena Kostornaia : In a fairer world, Kostornaia will be the #1 Russian lady as she’s already better than every Russian gal on this list, but this is a world where judges don’t have any home training and think skating skills is equivalent to “landed a jump.” Kostornaia is in a very favorable position because, like Zagitova, she can score 77+ without a 3A but she has one. She only needs to use it in the SP if she’s going against Rika and Zagitova. I bet we’ll see a 3A in the SP at NHK.

3. Alina Zagitova : The only other woman besides Kostornaia on this list that can score 77+ in an SP without a 3A. She doesn’t necessarily need a quad or 3A (yet!) because of bloated PCS and her programs are packed with difficult transitions that make up for the lack of a 3A or quad.

4. Alexandra Trusova : Highest FS BV and looking strong so far. If she lands her quads with positive GOES, she can afford to make mistakes on other elements. Ironically, though, if Kihira, Kostornaia, and Zagitova are clean, she may have to hit all of her quads to beat them. PCS may also be an issue, but only when she’s skating against the three skaters above her.

5. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva : Added a second 3A to her FS, and her 3As are looking better. But her programs are lifeless. Stamina may also be an issue as she’s been skating with watered down layouts, perhaps because of the second 3A. Even if she hits all 3As, she can still score below 220. This isn't the case for Kihira and Kostornaia.

6. Evgenia Medvedeva : Her confidence has improved from last season, but I’m not seeing improvements in other areas. I do like her SP, though, and it’s the first time I ever liked anything she’s put out. She’s pretty much skating by on reputation and popularity at this point, but a brand name can be almost as powerful as a 3A or quad. If I’m pleasantly surprised, however, she will be moved down on this list. Or hell, if I’m pleasantly surprised, she may be moved up .

7. Kaori Sakamoto : A strong 210+ skater with a hell of a 3Lo. She’s also well-liked by the judges and that will take her far. Consistency and perhaps a poor mental game are issues. Last season, every time she had a chance to win a medal (GPF, 4CC, Worlds), she made costly errors that cost her the podium entirely.

8. Anna Scherbakova : Kind of a wildcard. She beat Tuktumysheva, but not because she landed her 4Lz. She won because Tuktumysheva did not have a competitive layout. She can lose to anyone on this list, regardless if she lands her 4Lz or not. She needs another quad and it better not be a second 4Lz because the chances of 4Lz+REP are high.

9. Young You : I prefer Eunsoo Lim, but she has a 3A and scored very close to Lim’s PB in her senior debut. If she cleans up her elements, she can beat a few of the skaters above her. She may fall victim to exhaustion or injury due to too many competitions.

10. Bradie Tennell : Currently the best American (senior) lady but she’s skating like it’s still 1996. If she finally lands the 3Lz+3Lo and cleans up her URs, she may be in the mix. She definitely has the competitive drive to be there. (Please bring back last season's SP).

If I remember and have the time, I'll update after each GP.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The update after Skate Canada

#1-3 Alina Zagitova (235 - 240)

#1-3 Alexandra Trusova (230 - 245)

#1-3 Alyona Kostornaya (235 - 240)

#4 Anna Scherbakova (230 - 240) +1

Anna made a feat with two 4Lz in her free program. But judges also sent her a message that everything will be scrutinized and punished whenever there is a chance. Like getting level 2 step sequence while Wakaba received level 4 or getting 2 UR calls on triples while Bradie got none (her 3F in a combo was quite suspicious). She has to be perfect and she does not have "the luxury" of stupid stumbles. Then she can be quite competitive with the other 4A.

#5 Rika Kihira (225 - 235) -1

Next week may show if she is a real threat to 4A this season

#6 Bradie Tennell (210 - 220) +3

Bradie is the clear #1 in the US team. Moreover, she has 2 powerful programs, she delivers them confidently and somehow all her UR issues are gone in the eyes of tech teams.

#7 Evgeniya Medvedeva (210 - 220)

Next week will make it clear if Zhenya has anything to offer vs. 4A. That's the only way for her to save any power. Her competition with Liza has lost any importance.

#8-9 Kaori Sakomoto (205 - 215) +0.5

I liked Kaori's free program a lot. If she delivers her jump content the top bracket of the range is attainable and may be even a couple of points more.

#8-9 Satoko Miyahara (205 - 215) +0.5

#10 Young You new

I don't see Eunsoo Lim anywhere close to big results this season. Young You on the other hand offers good promises. We shall see next week if she can deliver to those promises.

I have taken Liza off my list. The judges have "killed" her. Looks like they don't need ladies' figure skating as a continuous Rusnats. We shall see quite soon if Zhenya will be the next one.

readernick

Medalist
I think Rika being a threat to the 4A is totally dependent on whether her ankle has healed. If she has her 3lz back, then she will definitely be a threat to all of the 4A (except for Sasha) since she should be able to score in the 230-240 range with her full set of jumps. 80+ in the short program (her two clean shorts last year scored 82+) and 150+ (last year she scored 154+ for a clean skate) in the free. If she has her 3lz back and she makes serious attempts at 4S, then she is a threat to everyone on the list (including Sasha) because her possible scoring range will increase to 245/250 and the judges will give her the quad PCS bonus. If she is still unable to do the lutz, her scoring potential is lower than all of them and her 5th place position is correct.

I don't think the judges are going to drop Med's scores in the same way that they have dropped Lisa's scores. (I am so sad for Liza) She was still scored generously at ACI and she had room to improve on that performance. I would still put her above Bradie Tennell. Also, I think that Kaori is still above Bradie in scoring potential. Her lower score at Skate America was due to her popping two jumps. Kaori usually improves as the season goes on.....

rlopen

On the Ice
Oh yes let’s complain about Bradie’s URs when Medvedeva’s flutz wasn’t called all that much when she was on top and Alina’s URs weren’t called when she won Worlds.

But sure, let’s solely focus on Bradie. Judges are selective all the time. It isn’t fair and shouldn’t exist...but if you don’t like it for Bradie, at least be consistent.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
The update after Skate Canada

#1-3 Alina Zagitova (235 - 240)

#1-3 Alexandra Trusova (230 - 245)

#1-3 Alyona Kostornaya (235 - 240)

#4 Anna Scherbakova (230 - 240) +1

Anna made a feat with two 4Lz in her free program. But judges also sent her a message that everything will be scrutinized and punished whenever there is a chance. Like getting level 2 step sequence while Wakaba received level 4 or getting 2 UR calls on triples while Bradie got none (her 3F in a combo was quite suspicious). She has to be perfect and she does not have "the luxury" of stupid stumbles. Then she can be quite competitive with the other 4A.

#5 Rika Kihira (225 - 235) -1

Next week may show if she is a real threat to 4A this season

#6 Bradie Tennell (210 - 220) +3

Bradie is the clear #1 in the US team. Moreover, she has 2 powerful programs, she delivers them confidently and somehow all her UR issues are gone in the eyes of tech teams.

#7 Evgeniya Medvedeva (210 - 220)

Next week will make it clear if Zhenya has anything to offer vs. 4A. That's the only way for her to save any power. Her competition with Liza has lost any importance.

#8-9 Kaori Sakomoto (205 - 215) +0.5

I liked Kaori's free program a lot. If she delivers her jump content the top bracket of the range is attainable and may be even a couple of points more.

#8-9 Satoko Miyahara (205 - 215) +0.5

#10 Young You new

I don't see Eunsoo Lim anywhere close to big results this season. Young You on the other hand offers good promises. We shall see next week if she can deliver to those promises.

I have taken Liza off my list. The judges have "killed" her. Looks like they don't need ladies' figure skating as a continuous Rusnats. We shall see quite soon if Zhenya will be the next one.

You've been spamming this "Underscored Russians, Anti-American, Anti-Bradie" stuff around several threads now. It's getting old already

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
You've been spamming this "Underscored Russians, Anti-American, Anti-Bradie" stuff around several threads now. It's getting old already

Comparing to what other people are saying about Bradie, i would call samkrut a fan. I'm pretty sure he appreciates her skating more than the others ;)

theharleyquinn

Medalist
There's some interesting questions to have answered at Skate Canada. How do Liza and Zhenya rank against each other? How does Rika rank against Sasha/Aliona/Anna? How much could a successful 3A boost Young You when she probably won't get high PCS in this field?