2019-20 Ladies' power ranking | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Ladies' power ranking

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Why isn’t this topic being discussed in the thread about Liza being underscored? Last time I checked Bradie and Liza aren’t the only skaters in power rankings..if this is about whether Liza should be ahead of Bradie in power rankings then fine, but talking about scoring and uncalled URS should be in Liza’s underscored thread. IMO

Anyone remember Jack London's "Burning daylight"?

The real Burnin' Daylight that the book was vaguely based on was even cooler in real life. Borax Smith (of 24-mule-team borax fame) did all sorts of crazy things, including building the town of Oakland, California. (He alegedly secured the necessary bank loan by bringing his six-shooter to the meeting and threatening to shoot the banker.) :rock:

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Why isn’t this topic being discussed in the thread about Liza being underscored? Last time I checked Bradie and Liza aren’t the only skaters in power rankings..if this is about whether Liza should be ahead of Bradie in power rankings then fine, but talking about scoring and uncalled URS should be in Liza’s underscored thread. IMO

Bradie has clearly surpassed Liza in power. That's the news and quite a big one because unlike 3A these 2 have been around for quite a while.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Your posts used to frustrate me, but now they just make me laugh. So, thanks for giving your traditional post competition complaining about the technical panel anytime a non-Russian skater wins a medal post. I had been waiting in expectation. Your list of Bradie's UR jumps is hilarious. I think your were watching a different competition or perhaps wearing special glasses that make it impossible to see when a Russian skater URs jumps but decrease the rotation of jumps of skaters from other countries. It must be fun living in this special universe. I wish I had some glasses that bIocked Daniil's signature leg kick choreo. I look forward to your next conspiracy post after Skate Canada. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, I let other respected forum members judge for yourself who is lying and who is not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTJe4ksG_RE :sarcasm:

lzxnl

Final Flight
Well, I let other respected forum members judge for yourself who is lying and who is not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTJe4ksG_RE :sarcasm:

Quite a lot of those have paused early, before her blade has touched the ice. I do agree with the 3Lz!, and the 3Lz!-3T< was actually called as a 3Lz-2T, but everything else, I must say that if you fast forward a frame, you'll see that when Bradie's pick actually hits the ice, it's not under.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Quite a lot of those have paused early, before her blade has touched the ice. I do agree with the 3Lz!, and the 3Lz!-3T< was actually called as a 3Lz-2T, but everything else, I must say that if you fast forward a frame, you'll see that when Bradie's pick actually hits the ice, it's not under.

If turning on a pick is being in the air for you - I don't know what else I can say :palmf:

readernick

Medalist
Nobody is lying. Nobody is taking bribes. Nobody is extorting anyone. Nobody is committing piracy on the high seas.

As for Golden Skate, we are all friends here. :yes:

I certainly hope so... I do think that certain fans are a "bit" overboard in their fandom and national bias. But, I think it is best to take everything with a grain of salt and try to see the humor in it so that we don't get upset. The ladies on the flutzes and wazels podcasts had such a good point this week... they said if you have a lot of favorite skaters it is much easier to enjoy figure skating because one your favorites will always win. I think it would be great if we all tried to see the positives in skaters, so we are happy for their success rather than tearing down any skater who isn't from our country and claiming their win is the result of "conspiracy."

lzxnl

Final Flight
If turning on a pick is being in the air for you - I don't know what else I can say :palmf:

They weren't though. The video you've sent everyone pauses before the skater turns on the pick. There are several instances in which the pick moves down vertically a bit after the paused section.

If falling further down is on the ground for you - I don't know what else I can say :palmf:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
They weren't though. The video you've sent everyone pauses before the skater turns on the pick. There are several instances in which the pick moves down vertically a bit after the paused section.

If falling further down is on the ground for you - I don't know what else I can say :palmf:

Even if what you say is true (which is not) - in the frame where pause occurs the pick is too close to the ice. There is not enough range or airtime to move/turn anywhere from that position before landing will occur. Considering the framerate is not very high - the next frame is bound to be after lot of time has passed. And it usually is the moment when the skater is already on her heel on the ice and turned at least quarter of a turn after landing.
Still, I suspect what you think is downward movement - in fact is movement of a heel, not a pick. If you watch carefully - you'll notice the pick is always in one place in all frames. Also downward movement doesn't mean anything - what we want to see is rotation. If the blade facing the same direction in the next frame - whether it is higher or lower is irrelevant. That, and also in some jumps the timing of a pause just not made very accurately - so it's indeed a lttle bit early or late. However you still can slow down the video and see the landing moments yourself without pause assistance. And it will be still under.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
A weekly update: things start to get into shape

#1 Alexandra Trusova (240 - 250) +1 I see no scenario that anyone can challenge her. She has an upside of better levels and no falls. She is working on 3A. I hope that the word "injury" will never be near her. Then her only rivals in some time to come are puberty and some "Trusova rule" whatever it might be to stop her

#2-3 Alina Zagitova (235 - 240) -0.5

#2-3 Alyona Kostornaya (235 - 240) -0.5

#4-5 Anna Scherbakova (230 - 240) -0.5

#4-5 Rika Kihira (230 - 240) +0.5

Without lutz Rika is competitive with Anna. With lutz she will move one step up to compete with Alina and Alena.

#6 Young You +4 (215-225)

Young showed that she can jump a good 3A and unlike Liza get good GOE for elements. Beating Bradie fair and square was a strong statement for the rest of the season.

#7 Bradie Tennell (210 - 220) -1

Bradie is still the clear #1 in the US team. However, the score that she received at SC was more in line with what was before than her SA score.

#8 Evgeniya Medvedeva (205 - 225) -1

Judges still love Zhenya. That's why no score punishment unlike Liza. She just needs to not repeat unnecessary meltdowns. However, I don't see her beating any of 4A. Therefore, her chances to stay in the power list after New Year are minimal.

#9-11 Kaori Sakomoto (205 - 215) -0.5

#9-11 Satoko Miyahara (205 - 215) -0.5

#9-11 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (205 - 215) new

I am bringing back Liza because now it seems unlikely that Bradie with 2+4 or Zhenya with 5+2 at best will make the GPF. Liza's chance for 3+2 are quite solid. And GPF skaters at this stage should be in top-10 power list.

#1 Alexandra Trusova (240 - 250) +1 I see no scenario that anyone can challenge her. She has an upside of better levels and no falls. She is working on 3A. I hope that the word "injury" will never be near her. Than her only rivals in some time to come are puberty and some "Trusova rule" whatever it might be to stop her

#2-3 Alina Zagitova (235 - 240) -0.5

#2-3 Alyona Kostornaya (235 - 240) -0.5

#4-5 Anna Scherbakova (230 - 240) -0.5

#4-5 Rika Kihira (230 - 240) +0.5

Without lutz Rika is competitive with Anna. With lutz she will move one step up to compete with Alina and Alena. ...

I am very excited about the International de France., to see if Alina Zagitova can keep pace. She got a nice score at the Japan Open, but Trusova's quads beat her handily.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
#1 Alexandra Trusova (240 - 250) +1 I see no scenario that anyone can challenge her. She has an upside of better levels and no falls. She is working on 3A. I hope that the word "injury" will never be near her. Then her only rivals in some time to come are puberty and some "Trusova rule" whatever it might be to stop her

You are clearly under impression of her recent skate and achievements. It's all right, but still, with a cool head - one can clearly see that Trusova is not that untouchable. Tbh, I would put Kostornaia in the same range as Trusova. Reason? Easy, Kostornaia already got 234 without 3A in a short. Which is close to 241 already. With addition of 3A in the short, and considering her more higher stability (not because Trusova is unstable - in fact she has almost perfect, Chen's level of stability on quads - still, it's lower than triples stability due to natural difficulty of quads), GOEs and PCS (and love of judges which Trusova definitely can't be bragging about) how much do you think she can get? I already expect at least 238 in France if she will be as clean as in Finland - with the same layout as it was there. If she will change 2A to 3A in SP and will be clean.. soon we will see :)

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
You are clearly under impression of her recent skate and achievements. It's all right, but still, with a cool head - one can clearly see that Trusova is not that untouchable. Tbh, I would put Kostornaia in the same range as Trusova. Reason? Easy, Kostornaia already got 234 without 3A in a short. Which is close to 241 already. With addition of 3A in the short, and considering her more higher stability (not because Trusova is unstable - in fact she has almost perfect, Chen's level of stability on quads - still, it's lower than triples stability due to natural difficulty of quads), GOEs and PCS (and love of judges which Trusova definitely can't be bragging about) how much do you think she can get? I already expect at least 238 in France if she will be as clean as in Finland - with the same layout as it was there. If she will change 2A to 3A in SP and will be clean.. soon we will see :)

Clean Kostornaia with 3As in both SP AND LP would probably beat both Trusova and Shcherbakova. Both have to be clean enough to not allow her to surpass them either just as she did at JGPF last season.
Kihira scored 81 in her SP with 3A and no lutz, Kostornaia's potential is higher than that if she adds 3A

... and love of judges which Trusova definitely can't be bragging about ... We'll see.

Alexandra may not be bragging, modest girl that she is, but she certainly has the love of the judges. They just showered her with 241 points.

But yeah, they could shower any of the other "A"'s with big points, too, going forward.

We'll see; we'll see indeed. :yes:

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Clean Kostornaia with 3As in both SP AND LP would probably beat both Trusova and Shcherbakova. Both have to be clean enough to not allow her to surpass them either just as she did at JGPF last season.
Kihira scored 81 in her SP with 3A and no lutz, Kostornaia's potential is higher than that if she adds 3A

Shcherbakoba maybe but no way in hell she is beating Trusova.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Don't count out Kostornaia. Anything can happen.
Zagitova was thought to be unbeatable in 2017-18. And then Worlds 2018 happened.

E

eterialskater

Trusova is a category 5 typhoon that just made landfall. A true phenom. Even her teammates Shcherbakova and Kostornaya who are artistically superior and also have difficult programs can't keep up with her. I don't think anyone outside those 2 and possibly Kihira have a prayer beating her.