2019-20 European Men's figure skating | Golden Skate

2019-20 European Men's figure skating

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
There is a thread for the Russian guys. But what about the other European guys?

Can any of them be the next European Champion?

Can any of them win a medal at Worlds?

Matteo, Kevin, Morisi, Daniel, Oleksii, Michal B….. ?

And who to notice because he’s promising, has an interesting story or is just fun/lovely to watch?

Many of them have started their season already, competing at Lombardia Trophy, Autumn Classic and Junior Grand Prix.

Last season:
1 Javier 271.59
2 Alexander Samarin 269.84
3 Matteo 247.08

halulupu

Final Flight
There is a thread for the Russian guys. But what about the others?

Who do you think will be the next European Champion?

Will someone beat the Russian guys for gold?

Matteo, Kevin, Morisi, Daniel, Oleksii, Michal B….. ?

And who to notice because he’s promising, has an interesting story or is just fun/lovely to watch?

Many of them have started their season already, competing at Lombardia Trophy, Autumn Classic and Junior Grand Prix.

Last season:
1 Javier 271.59
2 Alexander Samarin 269.84
3 Matteo 247.08
Mateo has a good chance to become the new javi. And there is grassl with his quads.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
we still have to see how the russian men will do in competition, we just saw Lazukin and Aliev and they were their usual hot mess (Murashov was cleanish tho). Bychenko and Brezina are inconsistent, Matteo wasn't at his best at Lombardia Trophy but it's still eraly in the season (mama's heart :laugh:) we still have to see how grassl will do but by the end of last season he was pretty solid (again mama's heart :laugh:), Aymoz on the other end was pretty great, so i wouldn't rule him out

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I saw both Kevin's and Matteo's FS, and this time Kevin did a lot better (which is also reflected in the points, but comparison is tricky as they skated at different events). however, I recall Matteo had a bit of build up last year as well, so who knows? I think it's going to be exciting at european's!

chanchan

On the Ice
Kevin has much better programs. But Matteo has better basic skating skills and postures. Also the jump quality of Matteo is better.

zounger

Medalist
I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin and Matteo do better than the Russians. They are good skaters with nice presentation and programs. Kevin showed a lot of charisma at ACI, if he stabilizes his technical arsenal then he will be in the mix, even outside of Europe. Russian men have big-event-phobia. I consider Kolyada the best European skater overall, but he delivers once in a four years. So Kevin and Matteo are strong candidates for a medal.

tzazu

Medalist
If Kolyada doesn't bomb, he's the best, imo. And Aliev second. The third spot could be Matteo or Aymoz. Anyone can have a meltdown in competition, but Russian men look more pron to meltdowns than others, sadly :noshake:. So, it'll be quite an interesting tournament :biggrin:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Aliev did well at Lombardia, and the free skate wasn't too bad at Test Skates either, physical conditioning seems promising this season.

Kolyada still looks the same: amazing all around skater, extremely inconsistent.

I'm more confident on Ignatov among the russians, but he doesn't have a GP spot yet.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So who believes in Morisi? Think if he suddenly has the skates of his life at Europeans. I bet he's training hard aiming high. With the help of a strict coaching team :biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm hoping Kolyada has a new fire after getting married. I look for him to do well this season.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin and Matteo do better than the Russians. They are good skaters with nice presentation and programs. Kevin showed a lot of charisma at ACI, if he stabilizes his technical arsenal then he will be in the mix, even outside of Europe. Russian men have big-event-phobia. I consider Kolyada the best European skater overall, but he delivers once in a four years. So Kevin and Matteo are strong candidates for a medal.

Aliev did well at Lombardia, and the free skate wasn't too bad at Test Skates either, physical conditioning seems promising this season.

Kolyada still looks the same: amazing all around skater, extremely inconsistent.

I'm more confident on Ignatov among the russians, but he doesn't have a GP spot yet.

didn't he bomb his short? at Lombardia he didn't have so much competition, but in the bigger events this will be costly

aname

On the Ice
Does anybody know how Brezina and Ponsart are doing? I know they're assigned to Skate America but are they competing in any senior Bs before that?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
If Kolyada doesn't bomb, he's the best, imo. And Aliev second. The third spot could be Matteo or Aymoz. Anyone can have a meltdown in competition, but Russian men look more pron to meltdowns than others, sadly :noshake:. So, it'll be quite an interesting tournament :biggrin:

Well, Rizzo and Aymoz have already beat Kolyada at the Euros, as well as Samarin. By what measure, exactly, is he "the best"? Besides that, aren't there enough threads for the Kolyada worshippers already? Can't the European men not from Russia have a thread of their own?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anybody know how Brezina and Ponsart are doing? I know they're assigned to Skate America but are they competing in any senior Bs before that?

Brezina is supposed to be doing the Shanghai Trophy (same weekend as Japan Open). Haven't heard anything about Romain.

Andrea82

Medalist
Brezina is supposed to be doing the Shanghai Trophy (same weekend as Japan Open). Haven't heard anything about Romain.

Ponsart is scheduled to do the Masters of France (traditional local competition with all main French skaters) next week

tzazu

Medalist

Well, Rizzo and Aymoz have already beat Kolyada at the Euros, as well as Samarin. By what measure, exactly, is he "the best"? Besides that, aren't there enough threads for the Kolyada worshippers already? Can't the European men not from Russia have a thread of their own?

Sorry in advance if my comment offended you or somebody here, it wasn't my intention, English it's not my mother tongue and maybe I've been rude. There were some questions in the first comment: "Who do you think will be the next European Champion? Will someone beat the Russian guys for gold?Matteo, Kevin, Morisi, Daniel, Oleksii, Michal B….. ?"; and my bad, I didn't quote them, but I was only answering them.:giveup:

About the question of "by what measure, exactly, is he "the best"?", of course, mine. My mistake again, I wrote "he's the best, imo". I believed "imo" meant "in my opinion"? If you ask who the best sportman, or singer, or actor/actress, or composer, or scientist, or...., it will always be "imo", because the rankings in these matters are only opinions (IMO again)

About the reference to "other threads for Kolyada worshippers", again, I don't know, I don't frequent them, worship of men or women is not to my taste. Of course, I have my favourite skaters, but they are only that; and most of the time, they are not the best (imo)
Again, my apologies if my comment was out of context. And because of my grammar or spelling mistakes, I tried my best :hopelessness:

LRK

Record Breaker
Sorry in advance if my comment offended you or somebody here, it wasn't my intention, English it's not my mother tongue and maybe I've been rude. There were some questions in the first comment: "Who do you think will be the next European Champion? Will someone beat the Russian guys for gold?Matteo, Kevin, Morisi, Daniel, Oleksii, Michal B….. ?"; and my bad, I didn't quote them, but I was only answering them.:giveup:

About the question of "by what measure, exactly, is he "the best"?", of course, mine. My mistake again, I wrote "he's the best, imo". I believed "imo" meant "in my opinion"? If you ask who the best sportman, or singer, or actor/actress, or composer, or scientist, or...., it will always be "imo", because the rankings in these matters are only opinions (IMO again)

About the reference to "other threads for Kolyada worshippers", again, I don't know, I don't frequent them, worship of men or women is not to my taste. Of course, I have my favourite skaters, but they are only that; and most of the time, they are not the best (imo)
Again, my apologies if my comment was out of context. And because of my grammar or spelling mistakes, I tried my best :hopelessness:

tzazu - Please don't apologise, you did nothing wrong, and your English is good! We're all entitled to our opinions, and you made it perfectly clear that you were expressing your opinion. Please don't fret about it!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

I know. It was the wrong question for this thread. Don't be sorry, it’s not a big deal. After all Russians are Europeans as well :biggrin: I’ll do some changes in my original post so it’s clear that this thread is for the non Russian men. All good :)