Mid-routine costume changes | Golden Skate

Mid-routine costume changes

lappo

Final Flight
Inspired by Anna Shcherbakova new FS costume :love:
I know there have been a few costume changes in the last years, both in competitive and in gala programs...what do you think about them? Do you like them or do you consider them unnecessary/gymmicky? What are some examples in the 6.0 system? Have there been examples when both ice dancers/pairs changed or was it just one of them?
Thanks! :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I enjoy them if they are well done, as Anna's is. Adds some extra excitement to the performance for me. Aren't the skaters taking a risk though. I mean they don't get extra points for it. Must be important to not think about it until it's time for the change.

Example from the 6.0 system: Vanessa Gusmeroli(she was a thief who broke into a jeweler store and stole a bracelet)

Pair where both had a costume change: Zabiiako/Enbert

Ducky

On the Ice
Personally, I think they're kind of gimmicky in competition because it detracts from the skating, but to each their own.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Alina used those double sided flip sequins in her black swan costume....

I wonder why are these not used more, since they are simple concept and could be used to fun effect. All you have to do is rub hand (artistifically) over your costume and you can get different look.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Who could forget Anna Pogorilaya's exhibition program with her famous man-to-woman transformation, particularly the later version when she did it in a spin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X053yCNPfms&t=93

Most likely the most spectacular costume change I have seen so far. Sherbakova's version seems to be inspired by it. In a competitive program it looks indeed a bit gimmicky, but still quite effective.

lappo

Final Flight
Personally, I think they're kind of gimmicky in competition because it detracts from the skating, but to each their own.

On the other hand though, the audience seems to like it a lot...I was at Lombardia and I can tell you that Anna's costume change almost received louder screams than her 4Lutz! Though I understand that such thing can be seen as crowd pleaser and not necessary in a competitive program.

A nice costume change from last year's JGP. Cinderella changes from her ballgown to her "drudge dress".

Start watching at about 2:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhpZAB5KmUA

:rock: He should have turned into a pumpkin for full effect!

Anna's was very cool. But I agree with Snowflake above that there must be some risk involved. Maybe it shows that the skater is so confident in her abilities that she can blow off the risk.

Last edited:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Laurine Lecavalier in her Grease FS

Also Mae Berenice Meite in this program

I loved Anna's change since I thought it was super smooth, both dresses look elegant and it wasn't tacky. I don't really remember 100% loving any other costume changes, they do have a tendency to be a bit tacky

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tend to agree that there is a slight tinge of tackiness to the costume changes. I also agree they are crowd pleasers, everyone loved Laurine’s too. :)

I think it’s forgotten sometimes that Laurine’s change was originally in a competitive program, as Grease was originally her FS. I think I prefer that one because a little tackiness goes completely with a Grease program:biggrin:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Well, not a full costume change, but there was this

My personal preference is to save costume transformations or highly theatrical costuming in general for show programs and to keep the focus in competition on the skater and the skating.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
My favourite costume change is in Anna and Luca's Chaplin exhibition, I know it's not technically what the OP was asking about as Anna disappears off the ice to change costume half-way though, but I think it's highly effective, especially Luca's acting when Anna reappears in her dress! It obviously wouldn't work in a competition, but is very fun for a gala.

Equally, talking of Italian exhibition programmes, Nicole and Matteo technically do a costume change in their Rocky exhibition, also very fun and fits well with their programme.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The big problem with costume changes is once you've seen it...the thrill is gone.

Hmm, that could also describe at least three of my previous relationships...

:hslap:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Shouldn't be allowed in competition routines. End of story.

There are enough things that can lower your score without introducing unnecessary variables.

Don't have any problems with them in exhibition routines. In fact, I love them in exhibition routines! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Amei

Record Breaker
Shcherbakova's is nice because its done seamlessly with a required part of a figure skating program and not an awkward stutter/stop.

Alina used those double sided flip sequins in her black swan costume....

I wonder why are these not used more, since they are simple concept and could be used to fun effect. All you have to do is rub hand (artistifically) over your costume and you can get different look.

probably because that can get awkward and potentially inappropriate looking really quick.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Delobel and Schoenfelder had a costume change at the 2010 Olympics... I can't find a video of just their performance, but here is the entire event: https://youtu.be/BKYe_qMnbPo?t=8211
Her change starts at 2:16:51

I agree that it's awkward when there's a noticeable pause/stop whilst the skater adjusts the new costume. Anna Scherbakova's change was very seamless and pretty, I think!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can get behind a costume change if it's a) clear and distinct, b) motivated by the music and c) creates a narrative. To pick some recent examples: I can't remember which ice dance team it was in the last Olympic year, but there was a much-hyped costume change that mostly involved, IIRC, one skater pulling some flaps of fabric loose under her arms, which didn't do anything to advance the narrative or even, for that matter, help to make it clear that there was one. Mae-Berenice's skirt panel turnover, much though I love her, was a bit the same: music changes, skirt reveals glitter, okay, but what are you trying to say with it? Contrast that with Laurine's Grease costume change: when she went from a Good Sandy song (Hopelessly Devoted) to a Bad Sandy song (You're The One That I Want), the costume change and the change in the way she skated the two halves echoed the film visuals and helped to create the story of Sandy's makeover and subsequent confidence boost.

Tl;dr, if it's just there for its own sake, don't waste your time. If your theme is transformation of some sort and you use a costume change effectively to help present the theme, I'm all for it.