Mid-routine costume changes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mid-routine costume changes

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can get behind a costume change if it's a) clear and distinct, b) motivated by the music and c) creates a narrative. To pick some recent examples: I can't remember which ice dance team it was in the last Olympic year, but there was a much-hyped costume change that mostly involved, IIRC, one skater pulling some flaps of fabric loose under her arms, which didn't do anything to advance the narrative or even, for that matter, help to make it clear that there was one.

Is this the costume change you're referring to? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVETC2UPojo (at about 3:38, but start a bit earlier to see both the before and after).

If it is, a kind commentator explained it for me. She's a dancer (ballerina?) warming up before a performance; then GASP the music changes, both skaters' costume changes, and the performance begins.

It's a good thing we have commentators, because I had seen the program several times and hadn't a clue.

I believe there were two versions of the costume change, with the later one a bit more dramatic than the almost-unnoticable original.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scott Hamilton's "Hair" program, his "I Love Me" program I think there was a change in that one, when he played the "lounge lizard."

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Pechalat and Bourzat used a costume change in their 2007-08 FD to Organ Donor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk1nskh27gc

It was a program where she attempts to help her lover to escape from madness, only to go mad herself. Her costume becomes a straitjacket. It didn't work particularly well at 2008 Europeans, but at least you can see what is going on.

Last edited:

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Inspired by Anna Shcherbakova new FS costume :love:
I know there have been a few costume changes in the last years, both in competitive and in gala programs...what do you think about them? Do you like them or do you consider them unnecessary/gymmicky? What are some examples in the 6.0 system? Have there been examples when both ice dancers/pairs changed or was it just one of them?
Thanks! :)

I think it would have been better if Anna had used Firebird music for the whole program, rather than the Gnossienne in the intro - then she wouldn't have had to change her dress to mark the transition.

Thought it was cool on first viewing, but having watched the program about four times now, it loses impact each time.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another one that I remember (and thought was effective) - Midori Ito's "Rain" exhibition from the 1992 Winter Olympics

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Costume changing in Ex programs is one thing, but for a mortal mind, it's totally beyond me that how anyone can manage such a trick in a competitive program, without getting distracted and go through the procedure (however simple and easy it might be) without causing a malfunction either or both in performance and the costume itself :drama: I am actually surprised that Tutberizde gave a go for Anna's, she being such a no-nonsense hardcore coach.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I think it would have been better if Anna had used Firebird music for the whole program, rather than the Gnossienne in the intro - then she wouldn't have had to change her dress to mark the transition.

Thought it was cool on first viewing, but having watched the program about four times now, it loses impact each time.

Agreed, it was amazing on the first viewing. But I think the costume distracts from the jumps in the second half. The two different colored skirts make it harder to appreciate her beautiful jumps. I kind of wish she had used the change in the final spin at the end of the program as a finale. Or at least after her jumps were all completed.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think costume changes are gimicky and detract from competitive skating. Using them in exhibitions pleases the crowd and the skate is supposed to be a show! I can appreciate a beautiful dress or a stately men's costume but too many feathers or sparkly things kind of turn me off (speaking of you Hanyu) I'm a believer in letting the skating be the showpiece - not the trappings.