2019 JGP Chelyabinsk: Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

2019 JGP Chelyabinsk: Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry for the delay in getting this thread up!

What were your favorite moments of this event? Surprises? Which discipline was the most exciting for you and why?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Kate Wang and Artur Danielian's SP were the surprises for me.

The crowd was also a big surprise, it felt a much bigger event like Europeans, good job from the organizers.

When it comes to the judging, much like JGP Lake Placid i thought there was a bit favoritism towards the home skaters: GOE for the non russians were always very low, harsh calls for spins and steps sequence levels,... it wasn't even all that needed cause both in Ladies and Men the three russians were clearly the strongest.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kate Wang and Artur Danielian's SP were the surprises for me.

The crowd was also a big surprise, it felt a much bigger event like Europeans, good job from the organizers.

When it comes to the judging, much like JGP Lake Placid i thought there was a bit favoritism towards the home skaters: GOE for the non russians were always very low, harsh calls for spins and steps sequence levels,... it wasn't even all that needed cause both in Ladies and Men the three russians were clearly the strongest.

Yep, so unnecessary!

Artemisa

Final Flight
The PUBLIC... It's nice to see people watching jgp alive ... the kids deserve that!!!

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Sinitsyna's SP was brilliant. Unparalleled SS as well.
Valieva's 4Ts are feast for the eyes. And everything else too.
Danielan's SP performance is on par with top adult skaters quality.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I could never have imagined that Kamila Valieva is so extraordinary. Ted Barton said that another Russian princess was crowned and joined the royal family, which is no exaggeration. The live streaming event for ladies free skating is still viewable on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLVSnD9fe0E

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I liked Artur Danielian's SP and enjoyed Viktoria Vasilieva's free program (the steps). Kamila was out of this world though :)

My highlight was Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy FD as you could see the improvements made from their first event. The camerawork was a little odd though, it changed frame during their unique choreo slide :confused: and zoomed out a lot during the steps.

I felt sympathy for Vislobokova / Briukhanov as they achieved a great score and probably would have medalled at one of the other pairs events.

I also enjoyed seeing large crowds watching the figure skating. It's nice to see the skaters being supported on the junior level!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was glad to see the large audience, for one thing. I think there should be permanent JGPs in Japan and Russia, and a third that rotates between Canada and the USA each year (and not being held in remote places like Lake Placid); there's so many great young performers on the JGP, they deserve as much as an audience as can reasonably be found.

Artur Danielian had such a great short program, it was too bad he couldn't maintain that in the free skate.

The Russian ladies predictably delivered to take the whole podium, and I was also glad that Nana Araki had an overall better competition than her first.

The North Korean pairs team was hands down the best non-Russian pair we've seen on the JGP this year.

The fourth-place curse for Canada's junior dance teams finally came to an end (the role of the team that makes mistakes and misses the opportunity to medal was instead played by Wolfkostin/Chen, who I felt sorry for, because they've had rather bad luck at both their JGPs after a really strong start in their summer competitions).

readernick

Medalist
1. Ksenia Sinitsyna. Loved her programs and her SS. My new favorite junior competitor.
2. I love Artur and his SP was close to perfection.
3. Due to issues in the RD they didn’t finish as high as the could have, but my favorite free dance was Wolfkostin/Chen. I think they will be a force next year. Their speed and precision made the following teams seem a bit slow.

In relation to underscoring, Nana Araki was definitely underscored in the free. Her SS are lovely, the jumps were effortless, and she performed well. Her PCS and GOE were far too low but that is probably because of home-skater advantage and her inconsistency.