Virtue and Moir announce their retirement from the sport | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir announce their retirement from the sport

kresslia

Medalist
We all knew this would happen, and it's for the best since they're retiring on a high... but my heart is hurting!! I'm going to miss them so much :sad21:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Not unexpected, but so very sad regardless. I will miss them and their skating so much, however they are going out at the very top of their sport and have left behind some glorious programmes and incredible moments. True GOATs!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i expected them not to return to competitions but not from skating shows....some skaters do shows well into their 40s

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I did not expect them to retire from shows...just competitions. :(

There are still so many people who love to watch them dance!

Best wishes to both in their new adventures!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Hanging up their skates I was not expecting that. Thank you Tessa and Scott for so many fond memories
of your career, they were the best and I will miss them!

noskates

Record Breaker
Somehow I'm not surprised. Scott is engaged and ready to move on to his new life. Tessa has irons in the fire. Maybe it's just time. They've been pretty intense for the last 12 years or so. Congratulations to them for a very long and successful career.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tessa's big interview from some months ago said they had agreed to skate for two years post-Olympics, and that she had other plans for her future career, so this is all in alignment with that.

The next big announcement will no doubt be Scott's plans for his future coaching career.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, now I'm doubly glad I bought tickets to Rock the Rink. I'm so happy I'll finally get a chance to see them.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I love them too, and wish them both nothing but happiness in their future lives, but...the cynic in me thinks that the timing of this announcement, together with the suggestion that they might not do shows beyond their upcoming tour, is likely to help ticket sales a bit.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I love them too, and wish them both nothing but happiness in their future lives, but...the cynic in me thinks that the timing of this announcement, together with the suggestion that they might not do shows beyond their upcoming tour, is likely to help ticket sales a bit.

maybe... but their previous tour did sell well... and of course, i did react like some and went to ticketmasters wondering if i should buy a ticket or not... a lot of good tickets are sold already. Maybe in other cities it's different, but I don't think it's just a publicity coup.

noskates

Record Breaker
As for continuing to skate in shows.....I think that requires only a little less effort than competitive skating honestly - at least to keep to the level of their expertise and what the skating patrons would expect of them. Still requires time and dedication and maybe they're just growing beyond that.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
What are you talking about???...they are so old in figure skating years...

maybe competitively, but not really in terms of show skating, when you think there's elvis stojko, kurt browning still out there doing tours and they're considerably older.
but it's been very clear for a while now that they are heading in separate directions, Scott clearly wants to coach and Tessa is involved in a number of endorsements and fashion ventures. I don't think either of them want to commit to the time and dedication needed to put performances together, practice and tour. After twenty years together of training and hard-work, I don't blame them for wanting to try new ventures.
still won't stop me being incredibly bummed about it though.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
maybe competitively, but not really in terms of show skating, when you think there's elvis stojko, kurt browning still out there doing tours and they're considerably older.
but it's been very clear for a while now that they are heading in separate directions, Scott clearly wants to coach and Tessa is involved in a number of endorsements and fashion ventures. I don't think either of them want to commit to the time and dedication needed to put performances together, practice and tour. After twenty years together of training and hard-work, I don't blame them for wanting to try new ventures.
still won't stop me being incredibly bummed about it though.

Elvis is still doing shows, and he was great last year at TTYCT, but he had a long hiatus from them. He might not have as much energy and enthusiasm for it if he'd been doing them continuously.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
maybe... but their previous tour did sell well... and of course, i did react like some and went to ticketmasters wondering if i should buy a ticket or not... a lot of good tickets are sold already. Maybe in other cities it's different, but I don't think it's just a publicity coup.

In Penticton all the good tickets are sold. There are still tickets in sections that they don't usually sell for Vees games (they cover the whole section of seats with a fitted tarp with an ad on it). Don't know if those were always for sale or if they've been added recently.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aaah, well, now I HAVE to go to Rock the Rink! And here I was grumbling about the prices being steep... bon voyage to your new adventures, Virtue et Moir!