Advice for Attending Worlds 2020 in Montreal | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Advice for Attending Worlds 2020 in Montreal

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
tickets are for the full day...so if you were thinking 50 USD for the ladies short... well, i got the full day for 100 CAD so 50 CAD... for the SP... of course you cannot divide the day passes up but it is not true it's crazy more expensive than Boston. It is divided per day.

Wednesday : regular sales start... perhaps they will open up the really far away and cheap seats... perhaps they will divide up per event instead of per day (i doubt it though)

right now is the pre-sales for those who are on skate canada mailing list.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wednesday : regular sales start... perhaps they will open up the really far away and cheap seats... perhaps they will divide up per event instead of per day (i doubt it though).

I just bought my ticket for the Free Dance & Men Free Skate at exactly 10:02 AM EDT this morning (so two minutes after the box office was opened to the public), and in case anyone was curious, 4everchan is right that it's divided by day, not event. As mentioned before, the cheapest seat for Saturday is $200 ($232.75 including the extra fees :eeking: ), so I don't know if the sections which are further away from the rink than the 200 level (there are also 300 and 400 levels) will be put on sale at a later date, but for now at least, they're not.

I met Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue at the Quebec Summer Championships a month and a half ago, and they both agree with me that the ticket prices for the Montreal Words are ludicrously expensive and akin to a highway robbery. I normally wouldn't pay this much for a single ticket, but I've never attended Worlds before, and considering the last time my home city hosted this event was in 1932, plus I nearly died 10 months ago from a life-threatening condition... well, I don't want to miss this opportunity, but it really sucks that I can only afford one of day of the competition. :scowl:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For everybody complaining about the cost of tickets: it would suck even more if the all-event tickets sold out before you could get any, so you couldn't attend the event at all. At least with day tickets, other fans, perhaps equally deserving, get to see the competition as well.

There is a hike in Utah called The Wave that became wildly popular after it was written up in National Geographic. To prevent damage from overuse, a strict quota system was instituted. Most permits are given out through an on-line lottery. A very few are given out through an in-person lottery (show up at a remote ranger station at 7 am for permits for the following day). Since they instituted this system, my daughter has entered every year (maybe 10 years) and we have shown up at the ranger station twice, but we haven't won the lottery yet. I really don't expect to in my lifetime, but she pays her few bucks and enters every year just in case.

So, be thankful you "won the lottery" and enjoy to the full the competitions you can attend.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yup. I was Lucky to live in Vancouver in 2010. But though the prices were crazy, and i was willing to pay on a student revenue, i didnt win the lottery. No figure skating for me. Ibfelt blessed i was able to attend curling .... At least here, i can attend for a couple hundred bucks

Seruleane

Final Flight
Hmm, if I am bringing a toddler or small child who will be sitting in my lap, is it OK not to purchase another ticket for them, or will people be required to show their tickets, no matter the age?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hmm, if I am bringing a toddler or small child who will be sitting in my lap, is it OK not to purchase another ticket for them, or will people be required to show their tickets, no matter the age?

This is from the Place Bell website:

Children below the age of 24 months can enter Place Bell for free, but they must sit on the lap of the accompanying adult. Please note that if asked, you will have to show a piece of identification proving the age of the child.

From the age of 24 months, children must have a ticket in their possession and must sit in their own seat.

For more information, don’t hesitate to contact us by email or by phone at 1-855-634-4474.

From
https://placebell.ca/en/plan-your-visit/faq#collapse0

click on "tickets for children"

You could also email Skate Canada to ask.

I would really consider carefully before taking a small child to such a long event. I wouldn't even consider it unless there are two adults and one is prepared to take the child out in the hall when they get restless.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is from the Place Bell website:

From
https://placebell.ca/en/plan-your-visit/faq#collapse0

click on "tickets for children"

You could also email Skate Canada to ask.

I would really consider carefully before taking a small child to such a long event. I wouldn't even consider it unless there are two adults and one is prepared to take the child out in the hall when they get restless.

I would not recommend taking a child under 10 years old, let alone a toddler, to a figure skating competition. Young children get restless having to sit still for long periods, and they aren't shy about complaining.

mrrice

Record Breaker
and actually, went back..during the week, tickets are much cheaper... i got ladies short and pairs short... wednesday being a good day for me as i can skip work :)

I hope you have the best time and I can't wait to hear all about it!!

GBs mom

Rinkside
Does anyone have a guess on the timing of the gala? Trying to figure out if I should fly out Sunday or stay until Monday. How late do galas usually go?

gkelly

Record Breaker
My sister and her two young children joined me at a ladies' practice session at 2003 Worlds.

The 1-year-old was more interested in crawling up and down the stairs in the arena. (He wasn't quite walking yet.)

The 3-year-old wanted to know whether any of the skaters were mommies (as it happens, yes, although it seems she had been cut after the qual rounds that year and so may not have been at that practice session for my niece to see) and why was one of the skaters (Michelle Kwan) wearing a colored ribbon around her waist. They didn't seem terribly interested in the actual skating.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone have a guess on the timing of the gala? Trying to figure out if I should fly out Sunday or stay until Monday. How late do galas usually go?

Seems that most galas I have been to have started at 2 pm and last from about 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes. As it gets closer to event time, the official, very detailed schedule will be posted and will give the exact time.

As far as taking toddlers or young children, I would think they would be bored to death. I would guess they would be interested in anything other than the skating.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adding to the chorus, that I would advise against bringing small kids to the event. It's distracting to the people around you if the kid is making noise, kicking the chair in front of them or you have to constantly get up and bring them out into the hallway.

As for me, I bit the bullet and bought an all event ticket, since I do want to attend some practices and realized that the single day tickets were not event specific. It turns out to be cheaper to do all event. I won't be staying for the gala, so I may sell that one (Section 218 Row C), if anyone is interested for face value.

immisnow

Rinkside
Regarding lodging, Montreal is a city that caters to the young and international, so there are plenty of hostels -- and quite nice ones at that! I stayed at M Montreal when I went to Stars on Ice last May and will probably do so again when I come up for Worlds.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
About kids, if the kid is a big skating fan, that might be another story depending on his/her temperament. I definitely wouldn't have caused trouble during the competition. Getting me to leave would have involved tears and my parents prying me off chair legs. :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for those waiting for cheaper seats:

category 5 is sold out some days... (even cat 1 on saturday)

not sure thy will open up the nose bleed section, and how much they will sell them anyways.. p5 and p4 are still good options when available imho

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Has anyone received the all-event tickets? Have they been sent out? IF not, when will they be mailed out? Thanks

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
Has anyone received the all-event tickets? Have they been sent out? IF not, when will they be mailed out? Thanks

My initial ticket order confirmation stated tickets would be delivered late fall of 2019. I have not yet received mine.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's still early fall. To me, late fall is late November to mid December.

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
Does anyone have an opinion on the best seats to choose? I'm looking at price level 4 for Friday. The seats options are either directly across from the K & C or in the corners.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Does anyone have an opinion on the best seats to choose? I'm looking at price level 4 for Friday. The seats options are either directly across from the K & C or in the corners.

people say that sitting behind the judges is best since you get what the skaters want to show the judges...

i like corners as you can see jumps from up close...

I like across from KnC as you can see the skaters after their skate..

I also like center across from the judges, even if the skaters are not looking at me lol... it's pretty much good anywhere for me... some are pickier