Advice for Attending Worlds 2020 in Montreal | Golden Skate

Advice for Attending Worlds 2020 in Montreal

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
Hello!

I am a relatively new figure skating fan who has actually been to a rink about 5 times in my life. :shame: I really want to attend this season's World Championships in Montreal because they will not be in North America again for a while. Is there anything I should know before buying tickets? Any tips for planning a trip to Montreal? Any things to know before attending a competition?

Thanks for letting me pick y'alls mouth.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
For starters, you should probably know if you don't already that All Event tickets are no longer on sale and Day Tickets go on sale next week.

Shani

On the Ice
I went to Montreal for the first time this summer. It was a great place to visit. Public transport system was great for getting around. The roads are under construction so don't get a rental car as traffic can be a big mess and finding affordable parking. The hotels can be very expensive close to the event timewise so book ahead for a reasonable price. It is a big tourist and convention destination with lots to do. Enjoy.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
there was a very informative thread about worlds written by many users this summer but it was moved into the competition section... try to find access to it or ask the mods if they can share info with you...

theharleyquinn

Medalist
there was a very informative thread about worlds written by many users this summer but it was moved into the competition section... try to find access to it or ask the mods if they can share info with you...

Seems like that type of info shouldn't be hidden away

evasorange

Final Flight
Yes I remember that thread not enough eye rolls in the world at the fact that it got moved into members only thread. Anyways I’ve just seen a tweet that had the presale tickets that go on sale tomorrow price list...it seems the cheapest free skate is 119 and the most is 500?!? I’m blown away by how unaffordable and unattainable isu and skate Canada have made this event! I was ready to drop some cash to be able to go but it’s so overpriced that With flights and hotels it might not be possible. And I don’t want to go all that way for just one event you know? It’s really sad honestly

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can I ask the OP, which disciplines are you wanting to see most? Some sell out faster and therefore have less chance for the price to drop to reasonable levels...

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
As far as finding reasonably priced lodging, we had great luck with Air BnB. Probably wise to book sooner rather than later for best prices and location.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes I remember that thread not enough eye rolls in the world at the fact that it got moved into members only thread. Anyways I’ve just seen a tweet that had the presale tickets that go on sale tomorrow price list...it seems the cheapest free skate is 119 and the most is 500?!? I’m blown away by how unaffordable and unattainable isu and skate Canada have made this event! I was ready to drop some cash to be able to go but it’s so overpriced that With flights and hotels it might not be possible. And I don’t want to go all that way for just one event you know? It’s really sad honestly
considering the price for a hockey game at that venue, 100-200 is quite affordable for a once in a lifetime event....i am in the waiting room, hoping i don't have to spend more than 250.... seeing how the cheapest tickets are already gone for some days. If these cheapr tickets are sold out, it does confirm that the organisers are meeting the market demands here. People are willing to pay... sad but true.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Keep in mind they are not selling individual event tickets but day tickets, which include multiple events. So that's 119 divided by two.

I still think the prices are high but at least it isn't that high!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i got free dance and men's free program..... plus practices of that day... 200 bucks, good seats... so, if 200 dollars seems a lot, for an all day activity, i m okay with.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and actually, went back..during the week, tickets are much cheaper... i got ladies short and pairs short... wednesday being a good day for me as i can skip work :)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I was able to snag a really good seat for my mother on Saturday... maybe we'll swap seats that day :laugh: Either way she'll definitely be able to see which is what she was worried about.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am very glad I waited.. the all event was too much for me as I would have needed to skip my entire week of work... and this was still with not so good seats... with these singles tickets... i bought 2 days of competition out of 4, for so much cheaper than half of a pass, for the same level seats..

Tavi...

Record Breaker
i got free dance and men's free program..... plus practices of that day... 200 bucks, good seats... so, if 200 dollars seems a lot, for an all day activity, i m okay with.

I think if you live in Montreal and like both disciplines, it might seem like a good deal. But what if I’m from outside Canada, have never been to Montreal, and am not that interested in dance? I don’t really get to choose how I spend my money (I can’t just buy the men’s SP and FS) or my time (do I sightsee or watch the free dance?). So it’s not quite as affordable or convenient for all of us, especially when you add the price of hotels and flights.

I don’t think the price of hockey tickets is a fair comparison because most hockey game attendees are likely fairly local and don’t have to consider hotels and airfare.

evasorange

Final Flight
I think if you live in Montreal and like both disciplines, it might seem like a good deal. But what if I’m from outside Canada, have never been to Montreal, and am not that interested in dance? I don’t really get to choose how I spend my money (I can’t just buy the men’s SP and FS) or my time (do I sightsee or watch the free dance?). So it’s not quite as affordable or convenient for all of us, especially when you add the price of hotels and flights.

I don’t think the price of hockey tickets is a fair comparison because most hockey game attendees are likely fairly local and don’t have to consider hotels and airfare.

Right?! No offense to pairs skaters who are lovely and work hard but I don’t want to pay 50+ dollars to watch a discipline I don’t keep up with. Not to mention the fact that the 119 tickets are nosebleeds seats...I paid about 30 dollars more to see the men’s free skate at the OLYMPICS. The only other worlds I’ve been too was Boston 2016 and I’m pretty sure I got men’s and ladies short and long tickets for around 45-50 each for the nosebleeds, around 80 for men’s short in the middle of the arena...so maybe those were just more reasonable and now I have unrealistic expectations idk! All I know is that I don’t want to pay 400+ dollars to sit way up high. Also agree with your point about hockey, hockey is much more in demand and popular then figure skating as well, so it makes sense that they would be more.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
re not liking ice dance or pairs or whatever...

i don't know.. i am a fan who likes all events.... sometimes i lean towards a discipline in particular because of who is competing in it... but there is always something wonderful in each one of the event... for instance, if you don't like ice dance but want to make a saturday ticket worth its price, you could simply watch a lot of smaller events and learn the generalities of the pattern dance (which I did for the olympics, I even could recognize perhaps half of the required steps) and then, you will get more interested in the event and enjoy your time there. Pairs is so spectacular live, I will never understand why people do not appreciate it... it is the most acrobatic discipline, and on top of that, the chemistry between skaters is often a special thing to witness live.

also, it's not true that only locals attend hockey games... many come from all parts of Quebec and Ontario, the Habs are the Habs after all..even Maritimers and Americans come watch the games... and if anything, as there are games regularly, at least 40 a season, and they are just as pricey as worlds, I think that it's normal that for a ONCE a year event, or ONCE In a lifetime event considering Worlds may never come back to Montreal for those who live nearby, that the prices are a bit more expensive. On top of that, with the current rate on Canadian dollars, it's very cheap for Americans... i mean, i paid over 100 US dollars to see nutcracker at lincoln center... and I am not even such of a ballet fan... and that was years ago... .So i don't think that 134 CAD dollars for WEDnesday or just over 200 CAD for saturday is that much money considering what is being offered.

Sure, flights and accommodations are pricey but Montreal is not the most expensive city out there... compare to Europe or Asia... my take on this is that if you are willing to go watch events outside of your region/country and need flights and accommodation, you would make it an all week vacation trip and buy a pass.... which was offered... I don't see how someone would come down from abroad and complain about ticket prices.

And yes, worse case scenario, you could do lots of sightseeing in Montreal : it is a wonderful city with lots to do.... even in the winter.

Finally, here is my own policy for managing a small budget and an expensive passion for live figure skating : i make choices.... this year I skipped stars on Ice.. ... skipping Rock the Rink tour, and any event outside of Montreal that would imply traveling (Nationals, ACI, SKate Canada, etc) to make sure that I don't bust my budget too much... I have followed that rule for a while now, and of course, I am privileged because I live in Montreal and lately we have had many events coming our way, but I have been able to attend at least 2 different every year.... sometimes more, and when it is too expensive, I watch it on TV which has its perks too, as I hate the rink air... I always get sick when I spend too much time in an arena... so silver lining all the time ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The cheapest levels are already sold out :(

try again.. there are plenty of seats left ... just went to double check for you. only the 5 first categories have been put on sale.... i don't think the really cheap seats were ever for sale considering the information we got for the package sales and this pre sale

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
Can I ask the OP, which disciplines are you wanting to see most? Some sell out faster and therefore have less chance for the price to drop to reasonable levels...

I was thinking of seeing Ladies SP on Wednesday, then exploring Montreal until the FD on Saturday. Not sure if that is feasible! :sad21: I'm surprised at the prices. I had looked into going to the World Championships when they were in Boston, and the tickets were around 50 USD. (According to a currency converter, the cheapest tickets for this one are selling for around 90 USD.) Maybe fs is more popular in Canada?

Also, the website seems to be selling only day passes, not tickets per event. Is that correct? If so, that is another change from Boston. According to the website, I can't buy tickets until Wednesday. Is the official site the only place to buy tickets? Will the prices go up the longer I wait to buy them?

As far as finding reasonably priced lodging, we had great luck with Air BnB. Probably wise to book sooner rather than later for best prices and location.

Great idea!