Graf Richmond Specials to Edmonton Specials | Golden Skate

Graf Richmond Specials to Edmonton Specials

bunhead626

Rinkside
I mostly skate in Graf Richmond Specials but may be in need of new boots. I noticed some Edmonton Specials are on clearance and was wondering if they fit similarly, and if I could adjust to them? I'm a 120lbs adult who has been skating since I was a kid, so I don't technically need to step up to such a high-end boot, but have heard that both models are very similar in fit and feel. Is this true?

I have been discussing my boot options with my local fitter, and they think I might as well stay with traditional leather boots since I am more used to them. He said if I were a newer skater than he'd recommend Edeas or Jacksons, but I don't really like how the synthetic material feel or that they break down faster than leather boots.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I mostly skate in Graf Richmond Specials but may be in need of new boots. I noticed some Edmonton Specials are on clearance and was wondering if they fit similarly, and if I could adjust to them? I'm a 120lbs adult who has been skating since I was a kid, so I don't technically need to step up to such a high-end boot, but have heard that both models are very similar in fit and feel. Is this true?

I have been discussing my boot options with my local fitter, and they think I might as well stay with traditional leather boots since I am more used to them. He said if I were a newer skater than he'd recommend Edeas or Jacksons, but I don't really like how the synthetic material feel or that they break down faster than leather boots.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

You should be fine moving to an Edmonton. They are similar, just the Edmonton is higher end.

As far as Jackson, they aren't all synthetic material, just FYI.

bunhead626

Rinkside
Thanks, Ic3Rabbit! From your experience, would I wear the same size between the Richmond Special and the Edmonton? Would I be majorly overbooting in the Edmonton? I just skate around doing edges these days.

I have a high arch and prefer skates with a higher heel; my feet are wide in front with narrow heels.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I can't see that you'd be overbooting with the Edmonton. It's more of a problem with young, very lightweight skaters or with inexperienced beginners. I don't skate anywhere even remotely near the standard I used to before my accident, but I currently wear Graf Dance and absolutely love them. I also look covetously at the Edmonton Specials worn by a friend. If I didn't want the lower cut for the toe point, I'd be seriously tempted by a pair.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks, Ic3Rabbit! From your experience, would I wear the same size between the Richmond Special and the Edmonton? Would I be majorly overbooting in the Edmonton? I just skate around doing edges these days.

I have a high arch and prefer skates with a higher heel; my feet are wide in front with narrow heels.

No, you wouldn't be majorly overbooting. I cannot help you with the size between the boots though, you'd have to get the opinion of a pro figure skating fitter.

Good luck! :cool:

bunhead626

Rinkside
Thanks, both! Funnily enough, I've always been envious of dance boots and their low cut heel area for better lines/toe point! If I had to get back into the sport, I'd want to do ice dance. Is it a huge adjustment to skate in dance boots? Most fitters try to talk me out of doing such a thing. My ankles are relatively strong from ballet; I tend to lace the top of my boots loosely for deeper knee bends, anyway. I guess you always want what you don't have =0p

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks, both! Funnily enough, I've always been envious of dance boots and their low cut heel area for better lines/toe point! If I had to get back into the sport, I'd want to do ice dance. Is it a huge adjustment to skate in dance boots? Most fitters try to talk me out of doing such a thing. My ankles are relatively strong from ballet; I tend to lace the top of my boots loosely for deeper knee bends, anyway. I guess you always want what you don't have =0p

It is at first. But you get used to it, esp if that is all you will be wearing from there on out. I switched regularly between Jackson freestyle boots and Risport dance boots from doing both disciplines. The switch between dance blades and freestyle blades is the bigger adjustment lol!

If you're just going to be doing edges, etc then I'd go with dance boots if that's what you really want.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It is at first. But you get used to it, esp if that is all you will be wearing from there on out. I switched regularly between Jackson freestyle boots and Risport dance boots from doing both disciplines. The switch between dance blades and freestyle blades is the bigger adjustment lol!

If you're just going to be doing edges, etc then I'd go with dance boots if that's what you really want.

It was a hell of an adjustment to start with! Everything was fine until I had the blades mounted and then... But, as Ic3Rabbit says, "you get used to it." I always left the top hooks undone on my SuperTeri Deluxes in order to get a better knee bend and it's nice not to have to do that. My Graf Dance are the most comfortable high end boots I've ever worn and I love them dearly. I'm less sold on my MK Dance blades. I still miss my Phantoms, especially when I'm working on Moves in the Field, but I do worry about stepping on the heels. I may change back at some point in the future, but I'm unlikely to change back to higher boots. I'll get used to the scary feeling of spirals with a much lower backstripe. I will get used to it...