Axel help | Golden Skate

Axel help

yunakimjr

Spectator
I recently got my single axel a month ago, and I was landing them pretty consistently. But three weeks ago I started falling on a lot of them, and each week they have been getting progressively worse. Last week I was over rotating so much that one of the coaches at my rink thought I was going for a double axel. Now my air position is a bit tilted, and I keep landing on my face. I’m also scared to go into the jump now. Do you guys have any tips for getting your axel back?

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Since this type of question comes up a lot, I did a forums search on the word 'axel' and there are many posts from The Lutz Corner and Archives that might help you:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/search.php?searchid=453026

Also, it's common to get that jump, lose it, than get it back again. Sometimes losing it just happens, sometimes it happens when you start working on doubles.

It's hard to say what is out of whack without seeing what you're doing. Perhaps you could post a video.

daniiltimin

Rinkside
Hard to tell without actually seeing a jump. Try to work more on a takeoff of a waltz jump, then waltz jump + single loop combination, also can try to do waltz jump into the scratch spin without doing a landing position.

Also, from my personal experience, it helps sometimes just not to work on an element for a few weeks. Just leave it alone and work on other things, then come back to axel in a week and a half or two weeks.

VegMom

On the Ice
When my skater was over-rotating the single axel he was taught to do a "delayed axel". It's where you don't really start the rotation until after you jump. Try to google it.