Daisuke Takahashi to compete in Ice Dance from 2020 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi to compete in Ice Dance from 2020

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Look, I know it may sound like a prank, but it's true!
https://twitter.com/sn_figure/status/1177133917318651904 News Source
Translation: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1177134734268227584?s=20
It was announced by JSF that, from the 2020-2021 season, Daisuke Takahashi will compete in ice dance with Kana Muramoto (who was partnered with Chris Reed through the last Olympics). They’re aiming for Beijing 2022. This season’s Nationals will be his final singles competition.
I think this will generate a lot more interest in Ice Dance in Japan.
Hopefully, this pairing can be a success.
I can't wait to see it.

Last edited:

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Amazing. I can only hope this inspires a lot more interest in Japanese ice dance (and pairs?) and maybe inspires more singles skaters to try it out...

yude

Record Breaker
I am wondering if someone is going to move up to "Special category" (特別強化選手) after Japanese Nationals or maybe someone to group A or B? I really hope so.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Wow! My jaw has just hit the floor I think. Totally didn't see this one coming. People passing by are staring weirdly at me, lol. Well, good luck to the new pair, I'm happy for Kana as well!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
First Stephane Walker, now Daisuke Takahashi. Is this going to become a trend? :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
On the one hand I'm thrilled. Because well its Daisuke. On the other hand, the difficulty of ice dance should not be underestimated. It takes years for a partnership to gel. Not surprised they're going to Marina for coaching.

I suspect we now know why Muramoto/Reed broke up.

Well this is certainly the very definition of a :popcorn: moment.

Ice dancing. Never a dull season. :drama:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I suspect we now know why Muramoto/Reed broke up.

Well this is certainly the very definition of a :popcorn: moment

Do we? This makes me more baffled tbh. Chris Reed was good and while I think Takahashi is very talented and this will certainly be media friendly duo, do we know of any successful singles skater that got to his age that has made the switch to Ice Dance?

I don’t doubt he has the ability but to qualify for 2022 might not be enough time to gain all the skills he needs. Kana Muramoto herself only switched to Ice Dance in 2014 and I think benefited from having such and experienced partner as a guide.

This makes me worried for Komatsubara & Koleto though. Muramoto & Takahashi will definitely get the headlines.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't the first of April today. :eeking:
Theoretically it's not a bad idea and he will make a handsome duo with Kana.
My worry is though, Daisuke is tiny. Will he be able to manage the lifts...???

cell

On the Ice
I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't the first of April today. :eeking:
Theoretically it's not a bad idea and he will make a handsome duo with Kana.
My worry is though, Daisuke is tiny. Will he be able to manage the lifts...???

I have to say that thought also came to my mind.. but he seems to be really strong. Kana is also a small partner

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Wow!! I definitely did not see this coming. I am intrigued to see how it will pan out. They are both great skaters, but, as others have pointed out, they are both pretty new to ice dance. Hmm!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Isn't it a bit late too aim for the Beijing quad though? Especially for the transition to ice dance, why not start now? Also, isn't he too short for ice dance (and for Kana really)?? Even I thought about this when he did this "program" with Mao.

I give him props for trying ice dance but I sense a wash of novelty about this. BUUUUUT I am hoping things work out because Kana is a star in her own right and she deserves to shine. I do think Kana choosing Dai is a good choice though for his natural movement and dance abilities. I guess that's also keeping me optimistic about this pairing as well.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I have to say that thought also came to my mind.. but he seems to be really strong. Kana is also a small partner

I'm not sure how strong he is but Kana is not particularly small for an ice dancer. There is only 3cm difference in their heights.

I have my doubts on the competitive success of their partnership but they will certainly create more interest in ID in Japan. And I could see them appearing together in many future shows.

readernick

Medalist
I don't know if this will be successful but Daisuke as an ice dancer had always been my private dream! This is amazing!