Double loop height | Golden Skate

Double loop height

yunakimjr

Spectator
I just started working on my double loop on the harness, and it’s doing pretty good, but my coach uses a handheld harness and I feel like he has to add extra height for me (he pulls me up). Does anyone have any tips or exercises for getting more height on the double loop? Thank you!! 😀

daniiltimin

Rinkside
Are you sure you need more height on a jump? In general, you don’t need lots of height to make two rotations. Maybe you should focus on getting more snap on a takeoff and tighter air position so you rotate faster?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's unlikely you're getting much extra height from your coach, especially if he's using an handheld harness. That feeling is most likely in your head. The harness is there to soften the falls.

If you're looking to increase height, practicing your vertical jumps off the ice can't hurt. Also focus on the back outside entry edge and the flexion of the ankle through to the toe pick on the take off. That's all you've got on the loop. That said, if height on your jump is an issue, your coach will let you know. That's what he's there for.

daniiltimin

Rinkside
It's unlikely you're getting much extra height from your coach, especially if he's using an handheld harness. That feeling is most likely in your head. The harness is there to soften the falls.

I disagree with you on this one. Handheld harness can make a huge difference, you need a little pull and it does make a difference (not necessarily lots of height but more air time). Look at Gracie Gold’s videos of her doing 3A and a quad in handheld harness, it doesn’t look much higher than she normally jumps but because a guy pulls her it gives her more air time to rotate a jump.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I disagree with you on this one. Handheld harness can make a huge difference, you need a little pull and it does make a difference (not necessarily lots of height but more air time). Look at Gracie Gold’s videos of her doing 3A and a quad in handheld harness, it doesn’t look much higher than she normally jumps but because a guy pulls her it gives her more air time to rotate a jump.

I'm not denying that the harness can make a difference in the training of the jump or airtime, just that it's unlikely to add much in the way of the vertical jump. Airtime and height are related, but not the same. The increased air time comes from the harness fighting gravity and increasing hang time, not height, especially with a handheld. You get more help with height on a harness that's secured to the ceiling.