Andrei Mozalev | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Andrei Mozalev

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
World Champion Andrei Mozalev! :hap93::cheer:

I am so so so happy (and alone, obviously, but that’s life).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
World Champion Andrei Mozalev! :hap93::cheer:

I am so so so happy (and alone, obviously, but that’s life).

Congratulations to Andrei :)

It is an unfortunate fact that some excellent skaters are not popular enough on GS to keep their fanfests as active as others, and never will be, no matter what. It is what it is...but a thread on one skating forum is certainly not the be-all and end-all of one's success, for sure. I'm very happy for Andrei and his coach. They seem like a great team :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Congratulations to Andrei :)

It is an unfortunate fact that some excellent skaters are not popular enough on GS to keep their fanfests as active as others, and never will be, no matter what. It is what it is...but a thread on one skating forum is certainly not the be-all and end-all of one's success, for sure. I'm very happy for Andrei and his coach. They seem like a great team :)

Heh, I managed to find two other fans on Twitter :) I count it as a win. Also, I’ll catch up with mom tomorrow.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Very good work!!! I mean the nerves for all were so evident because of how tight the scores were but he held it together best no doubt

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Very good work!!! I mean the nerves for all were so evident because of how tight the scores were but he held it together best no doubt

After Kagiyama left the door open, I was worried how he is going to handle it, given their last outing, but he just... went on with it. Amazeballs. :clap:

I also saw bits of interview with him about them considering seniors, but I hope they would decide against. Being a defending champion is a new experience, vs him going back to the grind. And, we won’t see him internationally much if he goes into seniors.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And an interview (in Russian)

https://youtu.be/nfl0YXfFmOU

(This translation doesn’t convey Mozalev’s body language, which often contrasts with what he says. He continues to look shy.)

Q: You won this Champion title step by step. Do you view this victory as a spring-board to your adult life?

AM: Yes, I can view it this way, because when you make it into top three in JWC, there is a greater chance to be assigned to a senior GP event.

Q: And you, yourself, do you want to move up a level—

AM: Naturally—

Q: —or.

AM: Naturally, I’d like to move forward, into the seniors. I had competed in the final of the GP next to the seniors, and I liked it more, it was a different setting.

Q: What is different? The competition is steeper in the seniors... what turns you on for it?

AM: My competitors are more serious, and there is a wider audience. That’s what I like more.

Q: in terms of competition, here, was it more important for you to have a payback for the JGPF/Olympics or prove to yourself that you could do it?

AM: Every competition consists of proving something to yourself. I had to show to myself that I can compete against the international skaters.

Q: Did you feel it in your heart that you were so close to gold in JGPF and Olympics—

AM: But, yes... yes. After two silvers, I had this feeling, how I am not as good as the a Japanese? So it was somewhat important...

Q: How did you manage the self-doubt? Because when you start questioning what’s wrong with me, you don’t always succeed. How did you set up for the new stable performances?

AM: When I am at the new competition, when I am about to start, I forget about all the competitors, about whatever rivalries going on. I just get out there and do my thing.

Q: you looked reserved after your win yesterday. Is that how you are or did you gave so much, left everything on ice, so you didn’t have anything left for joy and emotions?

AM (scratches his head): I’m a humble person, and of course I had poured everything on the ice... but of course internally, inside, all was there.

Q: I have a feeling that right now you are feeling out of your element. You seems to be a person who is more comfortable with showing rather than telling. You seem to be shy with the press and interviews, it seems to make you a bit uncomfortable... for now.

AM: I’m just humble by nature and not used to being interviewed.

Q: Do you like the attention?

AM: Yes. On one hand I like it, but on the other hand... well.

Q: But you had said you liked performing in front of the audiences, you want to move to the seniors to widen your fan circle. How do you explain this contrast?

AM: When I go out on the ice, the audience helps me. It charges me with energy and lifts my mood.

Q: So in the competition, it is normal and good to have the audience, it gets you going. But outside the competition the attention still stresses you out, right?

AM: (mumbles in agreement)

Q: Tell us what or who brought you into figure skating.

AM: My parents, of course. Also, another driver was that my sister had also skated.

Q: Elder or younger?

AM: Elder. I couldn’t even walk, but I saw her doing it, and I wanted to skate too. So I watched her skating and also went into skating.

Q: So, it’s understandable, you saw your sister skate, the parents brought you. then it became your own choice, your own decision to stay. Or not a choice really. So, the question is, how important is for a figure skater to meet ‘his’ coach. Meaning a coach who believes and feels you, and whom you also believe and are on the same vibe?

AM: Coaches are very important. We work as one team, always together. I think it’s very important to find a coach that helps you and supports you through everything.

Q: is Kyrill Anatol’evich a coach like that?

AM (no hesitation): Yes.

Q: Which of his qualities you like, or even wish to emulate?

AM: I like...and I already mentioned it, his calm demeanour and his confidence. If I could borrow this, all would be well.

Q: So the life experience? The ability to see through the upcoming situations?

AM: (mumbles in agreement) Of course, he has more experience and knows what to do.

Q: How is your family views figure skating and what you do? It’s one thing to take a kid to the skating rink, it is a completely different story now.

AM: They now understand that I like it, and want it. So they are calmer about it.

Q: Do they take interest? Ask you about it? Or just happy you have something to do vs hanging out in the mall?

AM: No, no, they don’t ask me too much. They just understand I like it, and have some good results. And leave me alone for the most part.

Q: Do you have hobbies outside the ice rink?

AM (looks really lost): Outside the skating rink... ....

Q: No time?

AM: Well, I don’t have time right now. But I’ve tried to find time to get outside. Played soccer sometimes... also there’s school.

Q: Could you describe Andrei Mozalev for us in just a few words? What are you?

AM: A humble, quiet person...

Q: We wish you, the quiet, humble person that you are, to speak loudly through your results on the ice, now as the Junior World Champion. Health, luck and all good things to you.

Also, since we are talking on the 8th of March, could you wish Happy Woman’s Day to all the ladies you know, and don’t?

AM: Yes, of course. Happy 8th of March to my mom, sister, and Liza.

MintGreen

On the Ice
You guys are not alone. Count me in as an Audrei's fan!
Look forward to him in the senior circuit, and this: "We wish you, the quiet, humble person that you are, to speak loudly through your results on the ice"!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
You guys are not alone. Count me in as an Audrei's fan!
Look forward to him in the senior circuit, and this: "We wish you, the quiet, humble person that you are, to speak loudly through your results on the ice"!

Yay!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
He is still listed in Spartakiad, along with Semenenko and Yablokov, he is in warmup group 4... will try to see if I can find the main competition page.

https://twitter.com/yuki_an324/status/1239516178730463233?s=20

Edit: the link to the main site. It takes place on March 16-22 (because, obviously, Mozalev can skate a competition every week)

https://www.fsrussia.ru/sorevnovani...-uchashchikhsya-yunosheskaya-rossii-2020.html

The results will be here:

https://www.fsrussia.ru/results/1920/sparta2020/index.htm

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And here they are, the Spartakiad winning performances, in the middle of pandemics, in absentia of spectators, and on Krasnoyarsk’s ice again. A round of applause, and wishing Mozalev to finally take at least a short break.

Count Rezanov, once more, now with softer arms/softer eyes:

https://youtu.be/_QW5pgM5EVw

And, That Mix of Mozalev

https://youtu.be/5dvEMRPjGRc