Oda resigns as a coach over "moral harassment" | Golden Skate

Oda resigns as a coach over "moral harassment"

lappo

Final Flight
I haven't seen this topic discussed anywhere in this site so here is Oda's post explaining the reason for leaving his job: https://ameblo.jp/oda-nobunari/entry-12531037719.html
I know from other forums that tje whole situation has caused quite the stir in the Japanese skating world, with many trying to guess who the bully is and why he/she is protected by the University. Nevertheless, it's sad that such a situation has happened to Oda of all people, who I have never heard saying a bad word about anyone else and who always seems so supportive of all figure skaters. Let's hope he finds another coaching team soon!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
His blog was posted in his FF I believe yesterday. Terrible situation for Oda.
Wishing him the best in the future. I am sure he will find another position
where he is appreciated.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
This is not an easy subject to reveal, especially in their culture where "honour" and dignity are so excessively valued - it must have taken a heap of courage but Nobu did well to come out of the shadow and speak out. This is utterly disgraceful and it would be unjust to be simply swept under the carpet.
I hope now what happened will be taken seriously and the culprits will be found and dealt with as they ought to be
No one deserves such bullying, but especially when it comes to someone like Nobu, the nicest soul around.
I am quite positive that he will get plenty of support and will have no problem in resuming his career in a better environment. I do hope so at least.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sad to hear about this, and I am surprised to see someone of Oda's caliber and fame being harassed at work, but maybe I am just being naive. Who would do this to someone?

I am glad to hear he still wants to be a coach, and hope he finds a more supportive environment elsewhere :pray:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sad to hear about this, and I am surprised to see someone of Oda's caliber and fame being harassed at work, but maybe I am just being naive. Who would do this to someone?

I am glad to hear he still wants to be a coach, and hope he finds a more supportive environment elsewhere :pray:

So am I. Does the Japanese Federation have Governing Body that oversees situations like this?

^ would guess that the Skating Federation does not have much authority over the University.

From Oda's own words it seems like the University is not interested in doing anything.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yes, I posted this in Oda's FF thread, and it has since gained quite a bit of coverage on TV.
At this point, Kansai University has released a statement that it was a 'difference of opinion about coaching' https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190930-00000099-dal-spo
...however, there are reports from insiders that support Oda's statements over Kansai Universities'.

------ Personal Opinions
I feel awful for Oda-san, who wanted to give back to his home rink by helping young skaters, and faced on going harassment to the point he became ill. This happens all too often in the workplace so here's hoping that this can help more people stand up for themselves and get the help and justice they need.

At this time, I think the general consensus is behind Oda-san, since he is such a well loved and well known person whose whole public life has been marked by kindness, and empathy.

Last edited:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Best of luck, Nobu! I'll be praying for you!

Hopefully whoever was involved in the harassment will be punished. (Not getting my hopes up too much, though...)

Envy is a... what Jason Brown skated to a song stating that love is.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I feel for him but I'm confused as to the nature of the moral harassment. I guess it's purposefully vague but still....

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^ We may never know. Like any other workplace it could have been a number of things.
I could be totally wrong but reading between the lines seems like some type of power struggle
was going on which turned into serious harassment towards Oda and nothing was done about it by Kansai Univ.
This is just my speculation on the matter.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

yude

Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/BlueFlame4YUZU/status/1178853283567243264?s=19

One Japanese media did report a source saying Oda was harrassed by another coach at the rink. Since Oda was also a coach there, its not surprising.
Another coach coming in, well liked & popular, is competition to other coaches.

Also one TV program has heard the details of the harassment and the name of the culprit from someone around Oda, they are not allowed to reveal those to the public because it was the condition when they had the interview.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also one TV program has heard the details of the harassment and the name of the culprit from someone around Oda, they are not allowed to reveal those to the public because it was the condition when they had the interview.

What's the betting it leaks, and soon?

Poor Nobu... it's always distressing to hear about the darker side of a sport we love, especially when someone so nice and admirable is being hurt by it, but I guess we need to hear even when we don't want to. I just hope he now gets the job and support he deserves.

yude

Record Breaker
And this source says Mie Hamada and Oda had different opinions on coaching. But it doesn't say the name of the person who harassed Oda.

https://twitter.com/boomsports/status/1179299799998201856

And Hamada admits that they had different opinions on coaching, but she denied about moral harassment. I am not sure if we are allowed to post tabloid article so I won't translate this for now. But Hamada talked with this magazine for 50 minutes. Also Oda's agency says they can't say the details of the harassment and culprit's name.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20191002-00014467-bunshun-spo

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad. I hope Oda continues to get lots of support & will be able to coach somewhere else where he will be appreciated & away from the harassment.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I hope Nobunari gets hired soon by a rink with a friendly environment to help him forget. He's too talented not to teach.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
And this source says Mie Hamada and Oda had different opinions on coaching. But it doesn't say the name of the person who harassed Oda.

https://twitter.com/boomsports/status/1179299799998201856

And Hamada admits that they had different opinions on coaching, but she denied about moral harassment. I am not sure if we are allowed to post tabloid article so I won't translate this for now. But Hamada talked with this magazine for 50 minutes. Also Oda's agency says they can't say the details of the harassment and culprit's name.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20191002-00014467-bunshun-spo

Thanks for posting this. This aspect feels like the elephant in the room and I was wondering if it was even appropriate to wonder if their relationship had any role in this.

Tsurara

On the Ice
And this source says ...

I don't think it's wise to accuse or even point a finger at any names now, and I wish people disregard this bull advertisement for the magazine.
I'm sure they probably did have an interview with Hamada, but if you read it carefully, it really doesn't make sense, for example, the article says Hamada said that Oda never showed up at the rink, yet it also says she denied any harassment like ignoring him and said that there *might* have been times that she forgot/failed to give him greetings... when he never showed up? How could she forget to say hi at times when he wasn't there at all? (The said moral harassment is said to have happened at the rink.) This writer is writing this based on their biased assumption that Hamada is the culprit, and their source is from someone involved with Kansai University without a name.

Please don't get individual skaters involved with this news. Please stop assuming if you're not familiar with the real power games and politics happening in Japan's FS.
If you are a fan of the skaters training at Kansai Univ, or Oda-kun, please wait patiently and calmly till the right time comes and just give them cheers.