Oda resigns as a coach over "moral harassment" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oda resigns as a coach over "moral harassment"

Grin

Medalist
I hope skaters at the rink train in friendly atmosphere and don't experience any kinds of harassment

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
And this source says Mie Hamada and Oda had different opinions on coaching. But it doesn't say the name of the person who harassed Oda.

Their disagreement was about new academic requirements for Kangaku skaters necessary to participate in intercollege competitions, which is unusual in college sports in Japan. Mie Hamada said that the new rule of the skating club that Oda proposed may prevent skaters from practicing enough hours and some worried skaters came to her about the academic issue.

yude

Record Breaker
I don't think it's wise to accuse or even point a finger at any names now, and I wish people disregard this bull advertisement for the magazine.
I'm sure they probably did have an interview with Hamada, but if you read it carefully, it really doesn't make sense, for example, the article says Hamada said that Oda never showed up at the rink, yet it also says she denied any harassment like ignoring him and said that there *might* have been times that she forgot/failed to give him greetings... when he never showed up? How could she forget to say hi at times when he wasn't there at all? (The said moral harassment is said to have happened at the rink.) This writer is writing this based on their biased assumption that Hamada is the culprit, and their source is from someone involved with Kansai University without a name.

Please don't get individual skaters involved with this news. Please stop assuming if you're not familiar with the real power games and politics happening in Japan's FS.
If you are a fan of the skaters training at Kansai Univ, or Oda-kun, please wait patiently and calmly till the right time comes and just give them cheers.

My guess is we will not know true whole story, as always.

Is the term translated as "moral harassment" intended as a contrast to "physical harassment," rather than having anything to do with "morality" as in "right versus wrong" or "good versus evil"?

Physical bullying would be pushing someone down and kicking him in the face. Are we to understand that "moral bullying" refers to snubbing someone socially or disrespecting them professionally?

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The term "moral harassment" was come from "harcèlement moral" proposed by French psychiatrist Marie-France Hirigoyen.
The English version of Wikipedia page is assigned to "Mobbing".

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I looked on Japanese Wikipedia, and it looks like it comes from a French word "moral," in this context meaning "nonphysical/verbal/psychological/whatever." Another site gave ignoring, insults, glaring, etc. as examples.

Talk about a Japanese vocabulary word I'd really rather not have had cause to learn. :sarcasm:

champagnerain

Final Flight
I speak Japanese, and I'd actually never heard the term "moral harassment" (in Japanese usually shortened to モラハラ: "morahara"), so I also ended up doing a lot of googling in both languages when the story came out. If it helps anyone understand, some of the Japanese commenters to Oda's blog also used the term "power harassment" (パワハラ - powahara), which also has an English Wikipedia page that might be helpful. Obviously, the commenters don't know the details of the situation past what Nobu posted (and he specifically chose the words "moral harassment"), but it might be helpful to know that some Japanese people use the words interchangeably.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Update:
https://twitter.com/nikkansports/status/1196292380913094656
https://mainichi.jp/articles/20191118/k00/00m/040/142000c

Nobunari Oda is filing a lawsuit against Coach Mie Hamada for Moral Harassment.
-Is suing for compensation of 11 million yen -- approx. 101,081.75USD

There was a press conference today, and here are the details, https://twitter.com/Sankei_news/status/1196294724790829056?s=20
Response from Kandai https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/11/18/0012887487.shtml

:shocked: holy moly!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
English article that summarizes todays news from Mainichi
Pro figure skater Nobunari Oda goes to court alleging harassment by Kansai Univ. coach https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20191118/p2a/00m/0na/006000c
In his lawsuit filed with the Osaka District Court on Nov. 18, Oda, 32, is demanding 11 million yen in damages from 60-year-old coach Mie Hamada. He says he wants to "raise questions about abuses in the figure skating world," and that he will "reveal the truth in court."...

Last edited:

lady_bee

Medalist
I read through Nobu's blog.
I think we should wait his own announcement in English, as he did before in his own blog, not jump to translation done by unknowns or google.

The blog is carefully written, probably under the supervision of a lawyer.
It has to be translated in the same way by professionals, to avoid misunderstandings and confusion.

Anyway, he did wonderful job as a commentator for COR last weekend. I respect his professionalism.

yude

Record Breaker
I read through Nobu's blog.
I think we should wait his own announcement in English, as he did before in his own blog, not jump to translation done by unknowns or google.

The blog is carefully written, probably under the supervision of a lawyer.
It has to be translated in the same way by professionals, to avoid misunderstandings and confusion.

Anyway, he did wonderful job as a commentator for COR last weekend. I respect his professionalism.

True. Recently I have been a little afraid of translating Japanese articles or interviews into English. And needless to say, we have to be careful in this kind of sensitive issue.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
$100,000 is a lot of money. Interested to hear the full story on this.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Wow, I wonder how Japanese officials will react to that. Surely they will have to launch investigations.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Wow, I'm flabbergasted.

Edit: have to add how saddened I am by this news. I've always thought Hamada was an upstanding and admirable coach. For her sake and her students I hope the allegations aren't true, whatever they might be. But there's also no reason for Oda to lie about this and risk his own career. I guess all we can do is wait for the trial, but either way I just feel sad. Alas 😥

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

In some countries he would have sued for millions.

It doesn't seem like that much to me, when you consider lost wages/opportunities.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

Not really. Even if he gets it (a big if), it probably won't leave much after he's paid his lawyers. I think it's more the principle of the thing. I imagine they will settle out of court if Hamada has any sense.