2019 Japan Open: Thoughts and Highlights | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Japan Open: Thoughts and Highlights

alexaa

Final Flight
I remembered there is a ISU Judging Anomalies thread every season. Should there be a new one for this season and all the judging related posts be moved over? It is so confusing to read about complaints about US Nats scoring as well as Shanghai Trophy invitation, Euro scoring in this JO thread when first page is full of scoring posts:(

I believe this thread is created to discuss impressions and thoughts about programs and performances.

Unfortunately, Nathan lives in this universe, and JO audiences LOVE his performances.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Trusova landed four quads and her technical score was close to men's best skaters. Her quads have become more stable as she grows taller with more muscle. Kihira should add more choreography to her free skate. Last season's long program was much better choreographically and she did score over 150 when she successfully landed two triple axels as she did at the Japan Open.

b-man

Final Flight
You all realize this is has never been a hardcore competition, right? It's not even the level of the GP's. It carries no real weight. Relax.

True, but there is some decent prize money on the line, with significant differences depending on team placement, so I would assume skaters are treating it more seriously than a show skate.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
True, but there is some decent prize money on the line, with significant differences depending on team placement, so I would assume skaters are treating it more seriously than a show skate.

I never said the skaters aren't serious about what they do.

century2009

On the Ice
Nathan really has grown as a performer and matured very well.

His flow in the ice is smooth and very strong coverage. He also has showed unique transitions and sells that program. He deserves the PCs if not higher.

He seems comfortable with his quads and looked easy for him. It felt like he wasn't even trying and it looked strong.

His 1st GP is in 2 weeks so will he get training with Raf to firm up as he has been pretty busy and hasn't had time. It is a tougher year for him so he looks good but is he ready?

MRani

On the Ice
Trusova landed four quads and her technical score was close to men's best skaters. Her quads have become more stable as she grows taller with more muscle. Kihira should add more choreography to her free skate. Last season's long program was much better choreographically and she did score over 150 when she successfully landed two triple axels as she did at the Japan Open.

Rika’s lower score wasn’t because of her choreography or supposed lack thereof. She had only 7 triples and no lutzes in that program. It’s a testament to her 3As and overall quality that she was still approaching 80 TES with that lower BV.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I don't see why Alina deserves 74 PCS. I really don't. More than 5 points better than either Rika or Satoko? And her GOEs are far too inflated compared to the rest of the field.

Nathan...I think his components are actually close to about right, if Yuzuru gets 95 PCS, Nathan on 91 is fair. His choreo and step sequences actually aren't that bad; it's just his jump prep, which is getting faster btw. And his jump consistency; he's becoming a delight to watch.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
In what universe does Nathan deserve PCS that high, for what he put out there? What an absolute farce. Sasha deserves every bit of the PCS she gets, and then some, if he's going to be scored like that.

But he is world champion and consistently landing quads. That gets you pcs sadly. A skater like Chan, Brown, deserved probably to be consistently 8 to 12 pts ahead in pcs of Nathan but that would never happen.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't see why Alina deserves 74 PCS. I really don't. More than 5 points better than either Rika or Satoko? And her GOEs are far too inflated compared to the rest of the field.

Nathan...I think his components are actually close to about right, if Yuzuru gets 95 PCS, Nathan on 91 is fair. His choreo and step sequences actually aren't that bad; it's just his jump prep, which is getting faster btw. And his jump consistency; he's becoming a delight to watch.

I am okay with Alina's pcs at this competition - she brought it. I did like Satoko's Shindler's List. Her smallish jumps do affect the full look of the program

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
She's not that bad.
She does perform, she's musical, her skating skills are better than you give her credit for. And she's exciting to watch, you certainly can't say she's boring.
She's not a 70+ PCS skater (maybe she will improve) but she's better than 63.
The protocols have her jumps graded worse than Miyahara's and about on par with Nagasu's.
Does that make any sense to you? Even though her landings were not perfect they ticked many other boxes and didn't deserve such low GOE.
Strange judging all round to be honest.

Much of that depends on how you define "boring." What may be exciting to you may be the death knell of my attention span.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

True, we will see if she can survive or rather her quads survive puberty. If she gets curves well thngs might change. I hope not. She can give Rika a run for her money which is fun and great.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awful judging.
Sasha underscored in PCS, she shouldn't be getting Zagitova level PCS (Many argue Zagitova shouldn't be getting such high scores either but nevermind) but she shouldn't be 11 whole points adrift in components.
Although she did have some wobbly landings, her jumps were HUGE and ticked lots of other boxes. Yet she was lowballed in GOEs.
There was no SP but if there had been, Alina would have won this.
I don't care how much PCS the judges throw at her, Alina should not be only 6 points behind a skater with 4 quads. Sasha is not even devoid of artistry and skating skills, she's not Zagitova/Kostornaia level but she's musical and knows how to perform.

The judging doesn’t matter at this event. It’s basically a cheesefest. And the Europeans won, didn’t they?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thoughts and highlights? It's obvious to me. Europe won but Javi and Denis were quite lucky to have two strongest ladies in the world by their side.

Oh agreed. Denis really needed to impress more. They probably should have gone with one of the Russian men hopefuls Denis kind of got a free ride to easy money.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In what universe does Nathan deserve PCS that high, for what he put out there? What an absolute farce. Sasha deserves every bit of the PCS she gets, and then some, if he's going to be scored like that.

Nathan was overscored and North America came in last. It’s a travesty!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh agreed. Denis really needed to impress more. They probably should have gone with one of the Russian men hopefuls Denis kind of got a free ride to easy money.

That's rather generous of the Japan Open hosts, wouldn't you say? I wish someone would give me "a free ride to easy money."

I'm open to offers.

Yes, I have no :eek::

icetug

Medalist
Oh agreed. Denis really needed to impress more.

Pay attention to these numbers, comparing last WC and JO scores:
Nathan - WC 216.02, JO 189.83
Vincent - WC 186.99, JO 167.64
Shoma - WC 178.92, JO 169.09
Deniss - WC 143.78, JO 146.65

In fact Deniss - as the only one - got better scores at JO than at last Europeans and Worlds. Probably could impress more, but do you really think that JO organizers wanted him to score on the Nathan's level? No, they wanted him to show the skills he's loved in Japan for. And they got it.

yude

Record Breaker
The highlight for me was Bradie's dress, I think it is my favorite costume among ladies' this season so far.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Much of that depends on how you define "boring." What may be exciting to you may be the death knell of my attention span.

That sounds reasonable to me. However, on the basis of this paradigm, any talk about the greatness of PSCs for any skater becomes meaningless, because the main argument in such conversations is that this is a "universal opinion" and "" many people think so "" devalues it .