Am I overbooted? | Golden Skate

Am I overbooted?

Madeline

Spectator
So . . . I've been skating 4-5 times a week for almost 2 years now. I haven't really gained any new skills since hitting US Basic Skills 5 a year ago, which is pretty horrific, but it's mostly because I'm a big scaredy cat (classic adult skater) and I spend a lot of time just working on edges, etc. That being said, I mostly got into skating because I hate going to the gym, and I'm really happy with my strength and balance improvements and don't really care that much about progressing through the badges. I'm giving this info because I'm now in a weird situation of having quite a lot of leg strength without many advanced skills.

I'm currently wearing fairly new Jackson Elites. To be fair, I didn't quite realize what I was buying at the time (it was the only one in my size they had in stock, I wasn't feeling well on that day so I wasn't thinking clearly, and it was a very long trip to get to the store so there was no point coming back to get a cheaper boot just for the price if it meant spending $100 to make the day-long trip again). But the fitter (recommended by my coach) was happy with the Elites because she said I could bend my knees fine. Two coaches at my rink also told me that I could bend my knees fine--in fact, better than in my previous Elles because I'm getting more support. I don't feel artificially stiff-legged in my new boots or anything. My coach also told me I'm getting deeper edges in the new boots.

So . . . am I overbooted? To add more info, I'm a 5'8" woman, 155 pounds, so that has an effect too.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
So . . . I've been skating 4-5 times a week for almost 2 years now. I haven't really gained any new skills since hitting US Basic Skills 5 a year ago, which is pretty horrific, but it's mostly because I'm a big scaredy cat (classic adult skater) and I spend a lot of time just working on edges, etc. That being said, I mostly got into skating because I hate going to the gym, and I'm really happy with my strength and balance improvements and don't really care that much about progressing through the badges. I'm giving this info because I'm now in a weird situation of having quite a lot of leg strength without many advanced skills.

I'm currently wearing fairly new Jackson Elites. To be fair, I didn't quite realize what I was buying at the time (it was the only one in my size they had in stock, I wasn't feeling well on that day so I wasn't thinking clearly, and it was a very long trip to get to the store so there was no point coming back to get a cheaper boot just for the price if it meant spending $100 to make the day-long trip again). But the fitter (recommended by my coach) was happy with the Elites because she said I could bend my knees fine. Two coaches at my rink also told me that I could bend my knees fine--in fact, better than in my previous Elles because I'm getting more support. I don't feel artificially stiff-legged in my new boots or anything. My coach also told me I'm getting deeper edges in the new boots.

So . . . am I a big faker? To add more info, I'm a 5'8" woman, 155 pounds, so that has an effect too.
I don't get the point you are trying to make

Madeline

Spectator
Sorry - I'm trying to ask if I am overbooted in my Elites. I'll edit the post to make it clearer. Like, technically, I should be wearing a much lower level boot with my lack of skills, right?

Elija

On the Ice
Are you having difficulties with the skates? Cause if not, I don’t see the problem/question either. You’ve said you can bend your knees and your coach has said they’re fine. If they aren’t causing pain or hindering your progress then they’re probably fine. The ratings are just a guide, there are so many things to take into account when choosing boots other than what jumps they’re rated for.

Madeline

Spectator
Are you having difficulties with the skates? Cause if not, I don’t see the problem/question either. You’ve said you can bend your knees and your coach has said they’re fine. If they aren’t causing pain or hindering your progress then they’re probably fine. The ratings are just a guide, there are so many things to take into account when choosing boots other than what jumps they’re rated for.

Okay, fair enough. I've always felt kind of silly wearing them, like I'm being boastful, when it's obvious that I'm not that advanced. But you guys have made me feel better about it. Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

So . . . am I overbooted? To add more info, I'm a 5'8" woman, 155 pounds, so that has an effect too.

Yes, I would say you are overbooted. These are a 75 rating for double jumps and you are in basic skills. Your weight and height will help with feeling less overbooted, but technically, yes you are overbooted. If you are okay, in them then just keep them, but they are going to take quite some time to break in properly.
What blade do you have on them?! Also, next time you go for a pair of boots, find a new fitter that knows what they're doing so you don't get overbooted again.

Madeline

Spectator
Yes, I would say you are overbooted. These are a 75 rating for double jumps and you are in basic skills. Your weight and height will help with feeling less overbooted, but technically, yes you are overbooted. If you are okay, in them then just keep them, but they are going to take quite some time to break in properly.
What blade do you have on them?! Also, next time you go for a pair of boots, find a new fitter that knows what they're doing so you don't get overbooted again.

Thanks for the reply! I have Coronation Ace blades on them. Any tips on breaking the boots in properly? Are there any other negative effects I should watch out for apart from the knee-bending issue (that doesn't seem to be a problem for whatever reason)?

The thing was, I went on a 3 hour (each way) trip to go to the fitter that my coach recommended, so I really tried my best to do it right! I went in asking for Jackson Debuts and I think that, given my height and weight, they would have probably been all right. It's hard living in an area where figure skating shops/fitters are so scarce, but I'll try a different place next time.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the reply! I have Coronation Ace blades on them. Any tips on breaking the boots in properly? Are there any other negative effects I should watch out for apart from the knee-bending issue (that doesn't seem to be a problem for whatever reason)?

The thing was, I went on a 3 hour (each way) trip to go to the fitter that my coach recommended, so I really tried my best to do it right! I went in asking for Jackson Debuts and I think that, given my height and weight, they would have probably been all right. It's hard living in an area where figure skating shops/fitters are so scarce, but I'll try a different place next time.

What should have happened with any good fitter is they would have listened to your suggestion boot-wise, but they also would have taken measurements and tracings, etc of your foot to fit you in the right boot for your skill level and the right brand, even if it wasn't the one you were told to go in with. I understand how scarce proper fitters are in certain areas of the world.

Proper lacing, knee bend and more will break them in, but because you are only doing basic skills and edges and not the doubles and advanced skills they are rated for, it is going to take way longer for you to break them in. Coronation Ace is a very good blade for you.
Negative effects, wear and possible injury from being overbooted, but I'm pretty sure you will be ok. While not ideal, in this situation it's better to be overbooted than underbooted.

Good luck!

Madeline

Spectator
What should have happened with any good fitter is they would have listened to your suggestion boot-wise, but they also would have taken measurements and tracings, etc of your foot to fit you in the right boot for your skill level and the right brand, even if it wasn't the one you were told to go in with. I understand how scarce proper fitters are in certain areas of the world.

Proper lacing, knee bend and more will break them in, but because you are only doing basic skills and edges and not the doubles and advanced skills they are rated for, it is going to take way longer for you to break them in. Coronation Ace is a very good blade for you.
Negative effects, wear and possible injury from being overbooted, but I'm pretty sure you will be ok. While not ideal, in this situation it's better to be overbooted than underbooted.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the kind and thoughtful response! That is very helpful. : )

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I read a comment once that it's difficult to truly overboot adults because of our weight. The thought being, as long as you can skate comfortably in them, and the stiffness doesn't interfere with your skills at all, you're okay. It happens to kids because a boot can be so hard as to prevent them from moving they way they need to.

adultskater18

Rinkside
Interesting. I'm also an adult beginner skater (skating a little less than a year, pre freeskate/FS1 level ish) and I upgraded from Jackson Artistes (which never fit me well) to Riedell 255 Motion about 4 months ago. They definitely fit me better but they're so much stiffer. Feels like they will take forever to break in - still feel stiff even 4 months in. It's hard to know. I'm 5'9'' about 130 so similar ish size to you.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Some people actually prefer really solid boots, regardless of level. It's a bit "horses for courses" rather than an exact science.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I read a comment once that it's difficult to truly overboot adults because of our weight. The thought being, as long as you can skate comfortably in them, and the stiffness doesn't interfere with your skills at all, you're okay. It happens to kids because a boot can be so hard as to prevent them from moving they way they need to.

That depends on the adult. Some of us are tiny. I'm pretty sure I'd be risking my ankle snapping like the twig it looks like if I tried one of my puny single loop attempts in Elites. :eeking:

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
That depends on the adult. Some of us are tiny. I'm pretty sure I'd be risking my ankle snapping like the twig it looks like if I tried one of my puny single loop attempts in Elites. :eeking:

Definitely agree. I’m a short, stocky man (just my luck, I’m a figure skater built like a rugby player!) and I’m starting singles in my Debuts, and I feel like my ankles would be screaming if I were in the Elites right now.

Nimyue

On the Ice

You just probably wouldn't be able to achieve any bend. So OP is overbooted, but she has good knee bend, so it's not really a problem. Of course the next time she gets skates, going down a few stiffness levels would be advised.