New Boot and Blade Update | Golden Skate

New Boot and Blade Update

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi All,

I wanted to post an update about my skater's new boots and blades now that she's been in them a bit.

Background is that she was in the Jackson Debut Fusion and wasn't feeling enough support for her 2t, 2f, and 2Lz, even though the boot was rated for those according to her size. I posted about her lost confidence below if anyone is really interested.

So, we visited George Spiteri in his new role as the operator of a pro shop. After shaking his head and asking if we really wanted a stiffer boot he measured her for Jackson Premiere's and we ordered a Rapid Custom A heel C (wide) ball. It took 3 weeks from ordering to have them in and she's been in them for 3 weeks now. I left the blade choice to her and she chose the Wilson Gold Seal over the MK Gold Star. I have a feeling that she would have been willing to go with the Revolution if they had had it in stock, but they had no idea when they'd be able to get it in, so standard Gold Seal it was.

Of course she had to try them that day, a Saturday, when the only option was a crowded public skate session. She started out slowly, just saying "they felt weird", but after 20 minutes she had landed all her singles, 3 Axels, and a few decent sit spins.

Sunday brought a Freestyle session and all her jumps were there including her 2s, 2t, 2Lo, 2f, but not quite the 2Lz which she'd just started working on. Exactly as happened in her Jackson Elle's and Debut's there was literally no break in at all. If I hadn't have known I would have sworn she was in the Debut's she'd worn for almost a year, except, from the start her spins were greatly improved, her back camel (which has been a struggle) was drastically improved.

10 days after she first laced them up she passed her Pre-Pre Freeskate test (way beyond it now, but it's been so long since there was a test session) and Juvenile MITF wearing them (she passed Pre Juvenile Moves 3 days after getting her Debut's).

We did hit a small bump in the road though. She was experiencing some heel pain (before the new boots) and has been diagnosed with Sever's Disease. It's an overuse injury causing inflamed tendons in the heel where the growth plate hasn't solidified yet. She's been reduced to single jumps and no jumps in her ballet class until this week. This morning her 2s and 2t (which she says don't hurt at all) were pretty good, especially after 2 weeks without practice. Later this week she gets to try the others and see if there's any pain.

She is very happy with her new boots and blades and has more speed, glide, lift and spin speed than ever before. All in all well worth the cost to upgrade. She should be in these for a year or so then probably move to the Elite as her last boot. She loves her Jacksons (this is her 7th pair), and they are just about perfect for her. This was our first non stock boot, and for $50 more it was just what she needed.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I do remember your post about the confidence problem. While I'm not the biggest Jackson fan, I do love Gold Seals. They are a great blade.
Glad your skater is doing well in her new combo!!

Sibelius

On the Ice
I do remember your post about the confidence problem. While I'm not the biggest Jackson fan, I do love Gold Seals. They are a great blade.
Glad your skater is doing well in her new combo!!

If we hadn't have been able to get the semi custom split width it would have been a tough call between a custom Jackson (@$950) or an Sp-Teri. At the time the move was underway and Sp-Teri wasn't back in production yet. Everything came together just fine this time around. All along she said the GS was "too heavy", but she's gotten used to it very quickly. Still, when she picks the boots up to put them on she says "they're heavy, but they feel light on my feet".

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi All,

I wanted to post an update about my skater's new boots and blades now that she's been in them a bit.

Background is that she was in the Jackson Debut Fusion and wasn't feeling enough support for her 2t, 2f, and 2Lz, even though the boot was rated for those according to her size. I posted about her lost confidence below if anyone is really interested.

So, we visited George Spiteri in his new role as the operator of a pro shop. After shaking his head and asking if we really wanted a stiffer boot he measured her for Jackson Premiere's and we ordered a Rapid Custom A heel C (wide) ball. It took 3 weeks from ordering to have them in and she's been in them for 3 weeks now. I left the blade choice to her and she chose the Wilson Gold Seal over the MK Gold Star. I have a feeling that she would have been willing to go with the Revolution if they had had it in stock, but they had no idea when they'd be able to get it in, so standard Gold Seal it was.

Of course she had to try them that day, a Saturday, when the only option was a crowded public skate session. She started out slowly, just saying "they felt weird", but after 20 minutes she had landed all her singles, 3 Axels, and a few decent sit spins.

Sunday brought a Freestyle session and all her jumps were there including her 2s, 2t, 2Lo, 2f, but not quite the 2Lz which she'd just started working on. Exactly as happened in her Jackson Elle's and Debut's there was literally no break in at all. If I hadn't have known I would have sworn she was in the Debut's she'd worn for almost a year, except, from the start her spins were greatly improved, her back camel (which has been a struggle) was drastically improved.

10 days after she first laced them up she passed her Pre-Pre Freeskate test (way beyond it now, but it's been so long since there was a test session) and Juvenile MITF wearing them (she passed Pre Juvenile Moves 3 days after getting her Debut's).

We did hit a small bump in the road though. She was experiencing some heel pain (before the new boots) and has been diagnosed with Sever's Disease. It's an overuse injury causing inflamed tendons in the heel where the growth plate hasn't solidified yet. She's been reduced to single jumps and no jumps in her ballet class until this week. This morning her 2s and 2t (which she says don't hurt at all) were pretty good, especially after 2 weeks without practice. Later this week she gets to try the others and see if there's any pain.

She is very happy with her new boots and blades and has more speed, glide, lift and spin speed than ever before. All in all well worth the cost to upgrade. She should be in these for a year or so then probably move to the Elite as her last boot. She loves her Jacksons (this is her 7th pair), and they are just about perfect for her. This was our first non stock boot, and for $50 more it was just what she needed.

You're welcome. ;) I believe I helped convince you to change her boots to the stiffer option and the upgraded blades. I'm so glad things are working out for her and she's getting skills and jumps back.

Sorry to hear about her foot diagnosis.

All the best to you and your skater. :biggrin:

Sibelius

On the Ice
You're welcome. ;) I believe I helped convince you to change her boots to the stiffer option and the upgraded blades. I'm so glad things are working out for her and she's getting skills and jumps back.

Sorry to hear about her foot diagnosis.

All the best to you and your skater. :biggrin:

Yes, thanks for your guidance and all your comments. I finally just listened to her and let her make the decisions. At this price point it's a little scary and I was really worried that the boots wouldn't fit and we'd be stuck. But they fit like slippers out of the box. And once her spins and edges starting improving blades were an easier choice as well.

It's good to have that out of the way for a year (I hope). I think next time around it will be a much easier decision on boots, and now that she's at that blade level, there's no going back.

Sadly, as we were finishing up an adult skater came in with her Harlicks. She'd spent $1,000 on them initially, and had been in pain since the start, paid another $400 to have them "fixed" then gave up. I feel very lucky to have hit on what seems the perfect combination for my skater.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Delighted to read that the new boots and blades are just what was needed. It's always a worry. FWIW, I know when I need new boots, even though they appear absolutely solid to other people. And I'm a dancer.

Sadly, as we were finishing up an adult skater came in with her Harlicks. She'd spent $1,000 on them initially, and had been in pain since the start, paid another $400 to have them "fixed" then gave up. I feel very lucky to have hit on what seems the perfect combination for my skater.

Eeek. I've been drooling over Harlick's Instagram and hankering after some customs in purple or pink suede with my business logo inlaid. Now wondering - especially as I've never even seen a pair of Harlicks in real life - whether that might be a big mistake. Maybe I'll stick with Grafs and use a Sharpie... :laugh2:

Nimyue

On the Ice
Just for the future: The Elites are almost nothing like the Premiere's. It has next to no padding and requires a decent break-in period unlike the new style fusions that your daughter has been in. Hopefully by the time she needs an upgrade, they will have an Elite model similar to the Fusions.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Eeek. I've been drooling over Harlick's Instagram and hankering after some customs in purple or pink suede with my business logo inlaid. Now wondering - especially as I've never even seen a pair of Harlicks in real life - whether that might be a big mistake. Maybe I'll stick with Grafs and use a Sharpie... :laugh2:

Any design you can dream up Harlick will make and they look beautiful. My friend has purple suede and my coach has a logo carved into hers.
If you don't have someone familiar with all the tracing needed for a custom Harlick boot, I would suggest sticking with the brand you know that fits your feet. Now, if you ever book a trip to San Francisco, their factory is about 30 - 45 minutes away. Book and appointment and explore!! They also set up shop at trade shows held within many of the big competitions. Not sure if they ever go to any held abroad.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Just for the future: The Elites are almost nothing like the Premiere's. It has next to no padding and requires a decent break-in period unlike the new style fusions that your daughter has been in. Hopefully by the time she needs an upgrade, they will have an Elite model similar to the Fusions.

Thanks for that information. The Premieres aren't that much less stiff (by Jackson's guide) than the Elites, so she should be ok for awhile. One tech said until she's broken down a couple of Premiere's she should stay in them. I'll take a year of not having to think about it for now!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Any design you can dream up Harlick will make and they look beautiful. My friend has purple suede and my coach has a logo carved into hers.
If you don't have someone familiar with all the tracing needed for a custom Harlick boot, I would suggest sticking with the brand you know that fits your feet. Now, if you ever book a trip to San Francisco, their factory is about 30 - 45 minutes away. Book and appointment and explore!! They also set up shop at trade shows held within many of the big competitions. Not sure if they ever go to any held abroad.

Exactly. Harlick's are beautiful boots, if they fit you. One of my daughters' coaches has been in them for life and knows nothing else but Harlick and Gold Seals, her other coach Sp-Teri and GS since she was 6. It's a risk, but at one rink she skates at there are lots of skaters in them who love them. I don't know that I would spend that kind of money on boots that weren't fitted at the factory. Even then, there's always a risk with customs since each boot maker has their own idea about how they should fit. We were fitted at Harlick, then went to Sp-Teri for a fitting and ended up staying in Jacksons. We would have chosen Sp-Teri over Harlick simply because Sp-Teri modeled their fit closer to the Jackson fit (wider ball/toe box). The Harlick's we tried were too narrow and it would have been an $800 you know what shoot. They're tools, and you have to go with the tools that work for the job you're trying to do. Now as mentioned above the next Jackson may not fit as well and we might have to go to another boot and assume the risk that we've avoided so far. If you have something that works I agree, stick with it, well unless you have $$$ to burn. In fact so many where we live do, so good on them for keeping the custom boot makers going for the rest of us!

Maybe you could use your boots with the logo as advertising, a tax deductible business expense, if they don't fit written off as a loss!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Exactly. Harlick's are beautiful boots, if they fit you. One of my daughters' coaches has been in them for life and knows nothing else but Harlick and Gold Seals, her other coach Sp-Teri and GS since she was 6. It's a risk, but at one rink she skates at there are lots of skaters in them who love them. I don't know that I would spend that kind of money on boots that weren't fitted at the factory. Even then, there's always a risk with customs since each boot maker has their own idea about how they should fit. We were fitted at Harlick, then went to Sp-Teri for a fitting and ended up staying in Jacksons. We would have chosen Sp-Teri over Harlick simply because Sp-Teri modeled their fit closer to the Jackson fit (wider ball/toe box). The Harlick's we tried were too narrow and it would have been an $800 you know what shoot. They're tools, and you have to go with the tools that work for the job you're trying to do. Now as mentioned above the next Jackson may not fit as well and we might have to go to another boot and assume the risk that we've avoided so far. If you have something that works I agree, stick with it, well unless you have $$$ to burn. In fact so many where we live do, so good on them for keeping the custom boot makers going for the rest of us!

Right on Sibelius. And my new Harlick customs don't fit as well as the ones I ordered 20+ years ago. Not sure if it's the new materials or my fatter feet. My coach's new Harlick's fit her perfectly.
I do see a lot of Edea boots on skaters but when I ask about the experience, reviews are very mixed. The coaches that have tried them, don't like them at all.

Now that I live closer to where SP-Teri was acquired, I will visit them when I'm in that area.

Maybe you could use your boots with the logo as advertising, a tax deductible business expense, if they don't fit written off as a loss!

Now that's an idea worth exploring!!!

Sibelius

On the Ice
I do see a lot of Edea boots on skaters but when I ask about the experience, reviews are very mixed. The coaches that have tried them, don't like them at all.

Now that I live closer to where SP-Teri was acquired, I will visit them when I'm in that area.

Most of the (top) skaters at our home rink are in Edeas, not one coach though. There has to be something to them, we weren't willing to try them at this point, again not worth the risk. The Jackson Fusion line is pretty lightweight, but with a more traditional fit (and fittings). There's no place close to get Edea's properly fit so most order online and hope. They sold lots when the Nationals were here 2 years ago, that's when they took over the place. Mine is one of the few remaining hold outs.

George said the new factory is up and running. First orders that went out were to dealers, they should be doing customs by now I think. I hope it continues to work out, lots of little ones at the rink in Sp-Teri's and George will still be fitting them, until they go to the dark (Edea) side.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Absolutely! Mind you, the way business is going (or rather, isn't!), it'll be a fair while until I get my custom Harlicks! I'm really hoping they go to Worlds in Montreal next March, as I would love to see them and find out whether they might just suit me.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Thanks so much for the update. My two skaters seem to have a “Jackson foot” as well. The fusion series has been especially good to them with the built in split width. Each one has barely had break in issues either. My younger daughter seems to be coming along behind yours so I’m anticipating some of the same decisions you’ve just faced. I’m considering the “rapid custom” next as well so it’s nice to hear it fits well with the modification. I wasn’t sure how the rest of the boot would be affected by the change in the heel. (These were rapid custom right?)

My younger DD is wanting to try Edeas but I’m not confident the local rep would give a 100% unbiased opinion. She’s just in love with them and drank the kool aid so to speak. Lol. She does work hard and is conscientious about getting the best fit possible for her customers, but only sells edea. I just don’t want to deal with fit issues again! Ugh! There are tons of young skaters in edea but several coaches tried them and then went back to a more “traditional” fitting boot. So I’m taking notes.

Last edited:

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Fusion vs 5200

I’ve been looking into the premier vs the 5000 series since some interesting differences were brought up. The Elite, which I’m thinking is the last they use for the fusion series, doesn’t have the fusion sole but comes with some other interesting features. Mainly it’s offset notches, different tongue as well as the sole.

There’s no clear information on the energy absorbing qualities of their different soles, and I was under the impression the fusion sole had a slightly higher heel as well. They claim the 5000 series is slightly lighter than the fusion series from what I can tell. But it’s all smoke and mirrors at one point or another. Lol. So mainly I’m interested in maintaining the weight distribution of the fusion, but being sure to get the best impact absorption possible. Eventually.... hoping the fusion line extends with time.

At one time I read about the Jackson “rapid custom” where they’d switch a tongue or further change the heel width. One or two features to customize fit. Not full custom but close. But I’m not seeing that info on their site anymore? Which changes are still an option? I’m curious how those changes impact the overall boot properties.

:scratch2: Another aspect of boots I’ve been thinking over is the height. There are low cut models that don’t explicitly say they are a dance boot. And I’m wondering if smaller skaters would actually benefit from a lower boot due to the length of their lowere leg and overall height. It seems like the appeal of Edeas is in part due to their lower height and looser-ish feel of the top. It seems like weight and height both could be factors in overall stiffness requirements. Just a thought experiment here.

Another issue I’m thinking over is if the fusion series has a more limited life with the addition of Edea like features. I swear I’m seeing signs of breakdown in both my skaters Debut fusions right now. No excessive creasing but after an intense summer the boots seem to be way more broken in or broken down than I’d expect. Maybe it’s just unreasonable expectation but I was hoping to hold out till around March since they got new boots in June.

I’m probably going to have to let skater#2 at least try edeas eventually, unfortunately. I’m hoping to do enough research to figure out if it’s really a good idea/fit. There is actually an Edea fitter and rep here in my area. If the boot fits? Right? Ugh.:note:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ve been looking into the premier vs the 5000 series since some interesting differences were brought up. The Elite, which I’m thinking is the last they use for the fusion series, doesn’t have the fusion sole but comes with some other interesting features. Mainly it’s offset notches, different tongue as well as the sole.

There’s no clear information on the energy absorbing qualities of their different soles, and I was under the impression the fusion sole had a slightly higher heel as well. They claim the 5000 series is slightly lighter than the fusion series from what I can tell. But it’s all smoke and mirrors at one point or another. Lol. So mainly I’m interested in maintaining the weight distribution of the fusion, but being sure to get the best impact absorption possible. Eventually.... hoping the fusion line extends with time.

At one time I read that Jackson offered “rapid custom” where they’d switch a tongue or further change the heel width. One or two features to customize fit. Not custom but close. But I’m not seeing that info on their site anymore? Does anyone know if it’s still an option?

:scratch2: Another aspect of boots I’ve been thinking over is the height. There are low cut models that don’t explicitly say they are a dance boot. And I’m wondering if smaller skaters would actually benefit from a lower boot due to the length of their lowere leg and overall height. It seems like the appeal of Edeas is in part due to their lower height and looser-ish feel of the top. It seems like weight and height both could be factors in overall stiffness requirements. Just a thought experiment here.

Another issue I’m thinking over is if the fusion series has a more limited life with the addition of Edea like features. I swear I’m seeing signs of breakdown in both my skaters Debut fusions right now. No excessive creasing but after an intense summer the boots seem to be way more broken in or broken down than I’d expect. Maybe it’s just unreasonable expectation but I was hoping to hold out till around March since they got new boots in June.

I’m probably going to have to let skater#2 at least try edeas eventually, unfortunately. I’m hoping to do enough research to figure out if it’s really a good idea/fit. There is actually an Edea fitter and rep here in my area. If the boot fits? Right? Ugh.:note:

First things first, this would get more attention in its own thread.
Secondly, yes there is a rapid custom and that's what I believe Sibelius had done for their skater.
Lastly, time to get a stiffer boot than a debut if they're getting broken down that quickly.
As far as lower cut models allow for more movement and knee bend which improves alot, but many skaters hate them. I and a few of my pro friends love them for that reason and also because we were former ice dancers as well as singles skaters at one point.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
First things first, this would get more attention in its own thread.
Secondly, yes there is a rapid custom and that's what I believe Sibelius had done for their skater.
Lastly, time to get a stiffer boot than a debut if they're getting broken down that quickly.
As far as lower cut models allow for more movement and knee bend which improves alot, but many skaters hate them. I and a few of my pro friends love them for that reason and also because we were former ice dancers as well as singles skaters at one point.
Yes. Definitely should have been it’s own thread!

The rapid custom from Jackson seemed like a bit more than split width, which I assumed most major brands offered. I wasn’t sure if they abandoned the other options or just stopped advertising on their site. The site is awkward to navigate sometimes anyway.

I also should have known there would be skaters and skater support up so early in the AM lol. It was earlier than usual for me. So I had a lot of time to look around but pretty sleepy still. I nixing aloud here that difference in body structure of smaller skaters would benefit from the lower cut boot. But that is as you said a whole other thread.

I appreciate the OP sharing this info with us since it’s so helpful. I had a conversation with skater #2 about her boots and based on her input we might just start looking into options sooner rather than later. She hasn’t expressed any thought the boots were broken down but a few specifics led me to believe they won’t last much longer for her at least. TY

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
The rapid custom from Jackson seemed like a bit more than split width, which I assumed most major brands offered. I wasn’t sure if they abandoned the other options or just stopped advertising on their site. The site is awkward to navigate sometimes anyway.

It would definitely be more than split width. Stock Jacksons are split width; you'd need customization if you didn't want it.