Most complete female skater during the IJS Era | Golden Skate

Most complete female skater during the IJS Era

I want to hear who you thought was the most complete female skater during the IJS Era(2004-present). Please do not hesitate to explain why you felt this way. Personally, the most complete skater in my mind is definitely Alena Kostornaia. Consistent, great jumps, great spins, skating skills/footwork, performance, emotion; I like thinking she has it all.:medal"

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Yuna Kim. The Queen. She had/has it all. Amazing jumps with great height and text book technique, performance quality that drew everyone in. Skating skills and speed to die for. Loved her unique spin positions as well. She had a lot of personality on ice :)

macy

Record Breaker
Yuna. I'd even go so far as saying she is one of the most complete female skaters of all time. She had it all, besides pointing her toes sometimes.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am a bit biased, but I agree about Kostornaya. Her jump technique isn't perfect, but what she does with it is wonderful. She has great spins, quick and powerful skating, and her attention to detail in expressing her programs has always been top notch.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Kamila - quads, artistry, flexibility, amazing spins, star quality. She’s the perfect package (if she gets better choreography).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think I'd go with Rika. To me, she doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and is pretty solid across all the PCS criteria. She is able to do all the jumps through the 3A correctly and pretty reliably. That puts her ahead of other top skaters like Mao (weak 3Lz and 3S) and Yuna (no 3Lo or 3A) for me. From a subjective standpoint, I like her programs because they aren't too busy and she skates like she's listening to the music. I hope her results end up reflecting her level of talent, because I think she'd be a worthy world and Olympic champion.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd go with Yu Na. Asada's technically very strong but her artistic quality isn't as strong. Skaters like Cohen/Kwan are artistically very strong (being at the beginning of the IJS) but technically not the most complete. The quadsters today obviously have huge difficulty, but artistically they aren't complete skaters yet, even if they've got the technical firepower to win. Rika's getting there, but not quite. Also for the up and coming skaters I'd rather see how their skating develops and evolves as they compete over the years... IMO, it's hard to call someone the most complete female skater of the IJS era without a breadth of seasons/programs to assess.

macy

Record Breaker
I'd go with Yu Na. Asada's technically very strong but her artistic quality isn't as strong. Skaters like Cohen/Kwan are artistically very strong (being at the beginning of the IJS) but technically not the most complete. The quadsters today obviously have huge difficulty, but artistically they aren't complete skaters yet, even if they've got the technical firepower to win. Rika's getting there, but not quite. Also for the up and coming skaters I'd rather see how their skating develops and evolves as they compete over the years... IMO, it's hard to call someone the most complete female skater of the IJS era without a breadth of seasons/programs to assess.

totally agree. i will add Alena Kostornaia when she has been a senior for a bit :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Rika Kihira. All triples. Correct technique. Good spins. Great skating skills. Musicality.

readernick

Medalist

I was going to choose Mao Asada because of her artistry. (she always seemed like the ultimate dancer on ice to me) but decided against it because of her technical issues with URs, the 3Lz and the 3T. It is interesting that you had the completely opposite reason for not choosing her.

Anyway, I don't really know who the "most complete" skater is.. I think that I have to agree that Rika Kihira is a skater that is getting there.... she has the technique and the basics . She has no real weakness, as mentioned, ( except perhaps a lack of confidence in herself sometimes). She listens to the music and hits the notes. But, she needs to express emotion with her face more. If she stays healthy and continues to grow she might be a good choice for the most complete skater in a few years.

Aliona K. is beauty itself on the ice but she has a few more technical issues and less difficulty. (at this point) Her SS and spins are beautiful but the technique is a little less sound.

I see a lot of promise in Ksenia S. but she also needs more time to grow and prove herself.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Mao Asada and Yuna Kim. They created the standard of excellence in IJS. Rika is maybe a year or two away from qualifying - she is not there yet artistically. When she is, I'd put her above them (imo her artistic deficiencies and Mao/Yuna's tech deficiencies mostly balance out). I'd be willing to say Alyona Kostornaia too depending on how the season goes.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Kaetlyn Osmond, Rika Kihira and Carolina Kostner:dance: All of these queens balanced out technical and presentation beautifully (with correct technique!)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, Yuna scores high in my view, as does Mao. But my personal favourite is Kaetlyn. I just adore those huge jumps, combined with the kind of athletic, but very artistic, step sequences, spins and turns. I also love Carolina, who started off as a kind of jumping bean but at the end of her career (has it ended?) turned her programmes into real gems, pieces of art.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Yuna and Mao are my favorites. Yuna has it all, except maybe spins/flexibility department (but that’s if we’re being picky). Mao too had it all except for her flutz. Carolina was also one of the best fitting that description, minus flexibility.

Out of the current crop I’d say they still need some time for me to say definitely :)
Don’t sleep on Mai Mihara, imo also one of the most complete skaters, minus some of her technique.

rlopen

On the Ice
If we're talking about technically and artistically, Yuna. Perfect jumps, amazing connection to the music, innate artist. The only ones who can come close are Mao (flutz and URs), Carolina (lacked the competitive nerve to land 3+3's consistently), Yulia (career cut short), Evgenia (flutz), and Aliona (almost there, but I think she needs one more season or two to have fully "grown" artistically.)

SkateSkates

Medalist
For me the holy trinity of Mao, Yuna and Carolina set the bar for complete skaters in the IJS era. All had different strengths/weaknesses of course, but were all “complete” in their own way.

I’d say for today’s skaters, Rika comes close if she can improve her performance/interpretation a bit. Aliona can get there for sure - but she hasn’t even debuted as a senior yet (looking forward to seeing her on Friday)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim - complete package. No real weakness that would ding her points wise.
Rika Kihira - might be even more complete package if she gets her nerves under control.

Surprised no one mentioned Zagitova. I think she has all the raw goods.

Lol at Lipniskaia being nominated. She had terrible jump technique and her "artistry" is completely based off that gimmicky Schindler's List program.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I would also say Yuna Kim during the 08-09 and 09-00 seasons. Fantastic jump technique, passion, great spins and footwork.

Rika Kihira is close with that glorious 3A but she needs more dynamics. Her long program last year to Beautiful Storm worked wonders choreographically. I have some doubt on the music choices for her this year, but I could be proven wrong as the season progresses.

Kosternaia is one of the more brilliant artists from the Eteri camp. She understands the phrasing of the music, from something within her.