Riedell Vega | Golden Skate

Riedell Vega

lyndle

Spectator
Country
Australia
Has anyone tried the new Riedell Vega? I’m considering getting a pair but since they’re still quite new, I haven’t seen any reviews/opinions yet. I’m in Edea Overtures right now but they’re giving me major arch pain so I’m hoping someone who has experience with Riedells can chime in?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’ve never worn Riedells, but my tech seems to like the Vega and the Elara! She said they’ve got a bit more room in the ball and toe box than is typical for Riedells, and so they might work better for people with wider feet. She had a pair of the Elaras out on display last time I went for a sharpening, and I picked one up. Felt nice and light, with real quality finish like you’d expect from Riedell. I can definitely see the ways in which they’re taking cues from Edea - but at least from looking at and picking up both the Elara and the Ice Fly, the Elara seems to combine Edea’s modern styling, light weight and higher heel with a more traditional shape and fit like the other Riedell models. I’d imagine the Vega is similar.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I'm super interested in them as they have a rounder and taller toe box than the rest of Riedell's line. Also, I love Jackson's Fusion line, but their Elite doesn't have the memory foam of the Debut-Premiere. So the Elara would be great. However, when I asked my fitter (who sells A LOT of Riedells), he says he wouldn't go with them yet. He said to give them a year to sort through their development issues. My Elites should last 12-18 months, so I'll be looking at them at that time.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was told to go with the Elara’s based on my need for a wider toe box, but having a Riedell foot this was my only non-custom option. Covid didn’t allow me enough time to break them in so now that skating has picked back up again several months later, and the skates are “broken in”, I’ve not been able to skate the past two weeks due to extreme pain from where the tongue continues to flex into my shin, right where the tongue hook is located. I have swelling and bruising that comes back with vengeance every time I try to skate with them. I’m able to put a pair of ill fitting, Jackson’s on without the same pain, sadly my heel moves around too much in those which is why I went back to get the Elaras (from a different fitter because the first one should have known Jackson’s wouldn’t hold my ankle). I suppose I can manage in the Jackson’s for synchro but I’ll never be able to spin or jump in them. So I’m out $2,000 and still don’t have skates that work. Emailed Riedell a week ago asking if anyone else has the same issues and if they can take these back and replace the tongue with a different kind that doesn’t have the tongue hook, but no response. A third fitter is currently getting in though with their Riedell rep to see what my options are. I sure hope it isn’t buy a 3rd pair of boots this year...

Nonetheless, I’m thinking I’d stay away from these. Although they seemed to be comfortable from the start with minimal issues, once fully broke in the tongue flexes too much.
Before you write off your new boots, why don't you try inserting a tongue liner between the tongue and your ankle-shin? Just cut a piece of soft, squishy sponge foam rubber to try out. Use an initial thickness of 1/4" to 3/8" (unsquished). If that works, let me know; and I'll tell you how to make a more durable one.

lyndle

Spectator
Country
Australia
I ended up getting Jackson Debuts that fit perfectly and I really like them! Although I’m still getting arch and navicular pain in the exact same spots as when I was wearing the Edeas, so I believe it’s an issue with my feet and not the boots. My fitter decided not to get any Riedell stock in for the foreseeable future due to the exorbitant price of shipping from the US to Australia, so I wasn’t able to try on the Vegas or Elaras anyway.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I tried extra gel pads, as well as ordered custom foam inserts and still no luck. The warranty rep has yet to get back to me about a tongue replacement so I made an appointment to go back with Jackson’s just so I’m not waiting around for an answer. Our rinks just got shut down for a minimum of three weeks so suppose no better time to get something custom ordered and be done with trying to fit into a stock boot. Been an expensive year for sure since this will be boot number 3. Hopefully one of the blades fit since they are different sizes so I can save on that cost.
Customs will not be cheap, just make sure your fit for them right, mold of your foot and all. Also, due to pain, please see a podiatrist.