2019 Finlandia Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019 Finlandia Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Pairs, everything at pairs. Of course Russian ladies, local skating their PBS, etc, but pairs is my favourite. Even without big names, I love pairs. And there were surprises, many good skates. 11 pairs is quite many at Challenger, I think and maybe record at Finlandia. Pairs are to stay at Finlandia Trophy, I think.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
We all can only really describe these things from our own points of view - there is really no other way! And we all have to respect each other's dislikes and likes. :)

Showmanship can be defined in many ways I guess, but to me it means mostly having good performance skills, preferably also the ability to interpret different kinds of styles and moods in music. It does not mean only the flair for drama or theatricality IMO. Michelle Kwan or Carolina Kostner might not be described by many as show(wo)men, but they certainly had/have excellent performance skills and are able to entertain (as in make their viewers feel the performance what ever they were doing) their audiences with interpretations of even very difficult and different pieces of music. I also doubt whether the skater's personality is really what determines how and what they are able to perform. On the ice you can be someone else and also a shy and introverted person could do that. And vice versa, an extroverted skater might find it hard to perform to a big audience or not be very good at expressing different kinds of emotions etc. Going out there on that huge ice in front of even thousands of people is not an easy task for anyone, extrovert or introvert, I think.

E

I see, it seems we understand showmanship in different ways. For me it entails being able to sell anything, but with a touch of the look-at-me exhibitionism (not using the term in a negative manner) and extroversion. Perhaps I associate it with shows rather than showing one's emotions. And in that sense, for me Sota is no showman (just looking at him in show group numbers and dance battles is very telling), but a great skater anyway, very expressive when it comes to serious and dramatic pieces. But YMMV. :)