How to get a six pack | Golden Skate

How to get a six pack

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Loads of my friends at skating have six packs but I don't and I want one [emoji23] I do lots of core exercises and off ice training but for some reason it's not working [emoji23]
Does anyone have any exercises or advice that will help to get abs?? [emoji28]
I know this is a strange thread but whatever

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Loads of my friends at skating have six packs but I don't and I want one [emoji23] I do lots of core exercises and off ice training but for some reason it's not working [emoji23]
Does anyone have any exercises or advice that will help to get abs?? [emoji28]
I know this is a strange thread but whatever

Rope Conditioning

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Urgh. Why want a six pack? So ugly. I haven't, thank the Goddess, and I don't want one. Actually, I stopped the training that promoted it. On purpose. I've got good muscled legs though, and that I do like and keep in shape. Skaters with strong legs are my favourites.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Urgh. Why want a six pack? So ugly. I haven't, thank the Goddess, and I don't want one. Actually, I stopped the training that promoted it. On purpose. I've got good muscled legs though, and that I do like and keep in shape. Skaters with strong legs are my favourites.

It's possible to have a tiny six pack from core conditioning and strong legs.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Not everyone will develop a visually apparent six-pack no matter how hard they work. The closest I ever got was sort of a four-pack but it proved unsustainable because my body does not like to operate at peak capacity when I'm thin enough for my abs to be visible. I looked great but I was actually physically weaker.

That's not to say that you can't develop muscles like that, OP, but I think that's chasing the wrong goal. Don't focus on what your body looks like. Focus on what your body can do. Building up your core strength is essential for this sport but I think it's healthier mentally and physically to approach it as just that - developing the strength you need to be the best skater you can be.

Do you have an off-ice trainer you can talk to about ways of boosting your strengthening regimen? Without knowing what your current routine or capabilities are, it's hard to give specific advice.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Not because how it looks, I am a skater and I need to work on my core strength because I have strong legs but in order to work on my rotation I need to have a very strong core

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Not everyone will develop a visually apparent six-pack no matter how hard they work. The closest I ever got was sort of a four-pack but it proved unsustainable because my body does not like to operate at peak capacity when I'm thin enough for my abs to be visible. I looked great but I was actually physically weaker.

That's not to say that you can't develop muscles like that, OP, but I think that's chasing the wrong goal. Don't focus on what your body looks like. Focus on what your body can do. Building up your core strength is essential for this sport but I think it's healthier mentally and physically to approach it as just that - developing the strength you need to be the best skater you can be.

Do you have an off-ice trainer you can talk to about ways of boosting your strengthening regimen? Without knowing what your current routine or capabilities are, it's hard to give specific advice.

I second this. I don't skate anymore, but I currently train as an aerialist. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I have a pretty solid core. I can deadlift my body weight into an inversion in the air. But I don't have visible abs. No matter how much I have altered my conditioning, I have never had abs. My body just isn't designed in that way. And that's fine. Because what you can do is much more important than what it looks like.
I think a good example of this is Gabby Daleman - she is blatantly ripped, with a six/eight pack. You can have all the abs in the world but that doesn't translate to the ice. Focus on strengthening yourself to improve your skating, not aiming for aesthetics.

If you want to improve your core, I can recommend some off ice core exercises; planks, deadbugs, V sits, Dish rocks, bicycle crunches, hanging knee tucks, hanging L sits, inclined sit ups, inclined russian twists with a medicine ball/dumbells.
If you want a core killer ab routine - check out the Cirque Du Soleil Ab videos on youtube - there's a 10 minute one on there that kills me.
If you're already doing things like this, you can add weights. I like ankle weights as they train your legs as well.

But the most important thing when training your core is your form. My trainer is a massive stickler for correct form in core exercises. She won't less us progress past basic exercises if our form is not correct - e.g. on the ground you need your pelvis tucked and lower back on the floor. An arch in the back will not strengthen your core. Same in plan position - core needs to be strong and stable, and not dipped or arched.
Sometimes going back to basic positions to check in can be helpful to ensure you're actually targeting the correct muscles.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I second this. I don't skate anymore, but I currently train as an aerialist. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I have a pretty solid core. I can deadlift my body weight into an inversion in the air. But I don't have visible abs. No matter how much I have altered my conditioning, I have never had abs. My body just isn't designed in that way. And that's fine. Because what you can do is much more important than what it looks like.
I think a good example of this is Gabby Daleman - she is blatantly ripped, with a six/eight pack. You can have all the abs in the world but that doesn't translate to the ice. Focus on strengthening yourself to improve your skating, not aiming for aesthetics.

If you want to improve your core, I can recommend some off ice core exercises; planks, deadbugs, V sits, Dish rocks, bicycle crunches, hanging knee tucks, hanging L sits, inclined sit ups, inclined russian twists with a medicine ball/dumbells.
If you want a core killer ab routine - check out the Cirque Du Soleil Ab videos on youtube - there's a 10 minute one on there that kills me.
If you're already doing things like this, you can add weights. I like ankle weights as they train your legs as well.

But the most important thing when training your core is your form. My trainer is a massive stickler for correct form in core exercises. She won't less us progress past basic exercises if our form is not correct - e.g. on the ground you need your pelvis tucked and lower back on the floor. An arch in the back will not strengthen your core. Same in plan position - core needs to be strong and stable, and not dipped or arched.
Sometimes going back to basic positions to check in can be helpful to ensure you're actually targeting the correct muscles.

This is great advice! I’m definitely going to check out those Cirque videos too.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

Reminds me of the time when I also had a quasi-4 pack. Lack of body fat caused secondary amenorrhoea :scowl: Not everyone will have a hormonal system compatible with being ripped...

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Don't body builders have a saying that 6-packs are "made in the kitchen"?

What that means is that having the underlying muscle (strength) is only one part of the equation - you have to reduce body fat to "see" the muscle definition. Often this requires nutritional tweaks to lose the fat.

HOWEVER, as others have pointed out, this shouldn't be your goal. You should focus on proper nutrition and strength training to increase your functional abilities in skating. Body builders (like the ones who compete in competitions) have to do DANGEROUS stuff to their bodies to drop the fat before the competition and they are actually at their WEAKEST at that point. If you take a look at the guys (and gals) in the Olympics who are weightlifters, they aren't usually cut and chiseled - this is because it isn't optimal for their sport to run your body so lean.

Many years ago I was seriously into lifting weights but I never had strong ab definition because my body just didn't operate that lean.

JSM

On the Ice

SO important! I saw a PT for my severe diastasis recti and the lower back position can make or break you. I highly recommend anyone who wants more core results to have a professional check their form. I’m finally starting to see my gap close and strength return (though I have a ways to go).

Ducky

On the Ice
Don't body builders have a saying that 6-packs are "made in the kitchen"?

What that means is that having the underlying muscle (strength) is only one part of the equation - you have to reduce body fat to "see" the muscle definition. Often this requires nutritional tweaks to lose the fat.

HOWEVER, as others have pointed out, this shouldn't be your goal. You should focus on proper nutrition and strength training to increase your functional abilities in skating. Body builders (like the ones who compete in competitions) have to do DANGEROUS stuff to their bodies to drop the fat before the competition and they are actually at their WEAKEST at that point. If you take a look at the guys (and gals) in the Olympics who are weightlifters, they aren't usually cut and chiseled - this is because it isn't optimal for their sport to run your body so lean.

Many years ago I was seriously into lifting weights but I never had strong ab definition because my body just didn't operate that lean.

This. Bodybuilders don't even drink water before or during competition in order to get maximum definition.

Also, a lot of what you see in magazines or instagram are people who are flexing their ab muscles.

Nimyue

On the Ice
It's not so much about muscle as leanness. Depending on your genetics, you might not have visible abs until your body weight reaches unhealthy unsustainable levels. It really just depends on where your body looses fat last. For women, its typically the hips, legs, or waist.

If you have any core strength at all, your abs will show up if you get very lean. But this often requires a very strict and well balanced diet. If you're serious, I would consult a dietician. You have to eat as little as possible and still maintain all the nutrients your body needs, and this is incredibly difficult. It involves careful meal planning and weighing food.

Some people are lucky enough that they don't have to do this, but if you don't have visible abs already and you're in good fit condition, you're probably not one of them.

Schpanky

Rinkside
Do this routine every morning. I call it the 30-40-10. I have a six pack from this.

-Lay flat on the floor (on your back) with your arms at your sides. Lift your legs and arms off the floor keeping them straight. Legs and back come off the floor about 12"-18" Do this 30 times. Don't relax. Keep your upper back and legs off the floor the whole time. It's like a V sit up but with your arms by your side and no resting.

-Next do 40 scissors. Lay flat on back, put your hands under your butt and cross your legs like scissors 40 times (or 80 times if you count single).

-Next do 10 push ups.

Skate 3-6 days a week. In three months follow up here. Let us know if it worked for you.