2019 Skate America: Day 1 - Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

2019 Skate America: Day 1 - Thoughts and Highlights

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A general observation would be that overhyping certain skaters does not really do them any favors. (Unless you are skating at home, in which case you will get candies no matter what!) I suppose I'm glad that nobody hypes Dima and thus, he was able to go out and deliver.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Stand-outs in performance today for me were:
Keegan -I cried, it was so beautiful
Jason- A stepsequence and commitment that is unmatched
Aliev - Great presence and all-around performance
Kaori- made me sit back and enjoy
Wakaba -made me tear up again.

Special Mentions: Elizaveta's 3A was superb!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ugh, it's past 3 AM here and I'm still up typing.:dbana:

Men
- A very strong top three. Keegan was the emotional highlight of the segment, as I think he couldn't help but be, under the circumstances.
- Below the top three, you had several guys who were just on the verge of creating a real moment but had one weak element. Especially Jason Brown, Michael Brezina and Alexei Bychenko. I can't wait to see Jason's program with the triple Axel (after he's had more time to recover from his concussion), and it's impressive that Old Man Alexei can still nail the quad and the triple Axel. Brezina's program likewise great fun, I hope he can have it fine-tuned for Europeans.

Ladies
- Well, that's certainly the top three I expected.:laugh:
- Wakaba was the emotional highlight here. After that brilliant free skate in Milan, it's basically been a year and a half of travails, and she hasn't had a short program that good since her last Grand Prix Final appearance. And the program is perfectly calibrated to the moment.
- Bradie's got another weird, interesting short program.
- Even accounting for the difference between a Lutz and a loop, I don't think Kaori should be behind Bradie; those GOEs were stingy, and PCS should also have been higher (especially in skating skills, where she should automatically be getting 9s across the board).
- Anna remains the most error-prone of Eteri's wunderkids. She's got the goods for a free skate comeback, to be sure, I expect her to be on the podium still, and a very good chance she's at the top; but this is an ongoing weakness that won't help her in future domestic battles.
- Liza was shown a wide open door but stubbed her toe on the frame, unfortunately for her. That skate was kind of all her strengths and weaknesses in microcosm.
- My only wish for Veronik going into this was a clean skate and ideally not last place; on the latter score, not only was she not last, she wasn't even antepenultimate. Glad she got the flip combination in. By nationals I hope she'll have upgraded the solo jump to a Salchow or loop.

Pairs
- Another good top three overall.
- Peng/Jin a little undervalued on PCS, even accounting for Peng's stepout UR (for her, that's adequate on the side-by-side).
- Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, very confident on the elements, not a ton of performance. But clean, and they could very easily win this thing given Peng/Jin's jump issues.
- Cain/LeDuc, love the style, and they got the side-by-sides, shame about the throw wipeout.
- I really like Ruest/Wolfe's short program for the this year, I hope they can deliver it totally clean once going forward.
- Nothing but respect for Zoe Jones' persistence. And for a while there she and Christopher had the only clean side-by-side jumps.

Ice dance
- We saw a number of programs that either had not been debuted at all, or had not been performed competitively.
- Hubbell/Donohue's program, I understand why they thought those two songs would make sense together, but "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" is incredibly creepy still.
- Stepanova/Bukin, I liked most of it, except for the somewhat awkward musical transition (you could tell a lot of the audience thought the program was over) and then the weird extra beat they've added to "Your Song".
- Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, this is the RD of the year so far for me. Nikolaj's twizzle kept their score a bit lower than it could otherwise have been, but they're well on their way to their first Grand Prix medal.
- Smart/Diaz have my other favourite senior RD. By now I feel like I've seen half a dozen performances of this, and it's been fine-tuned quite a lot. Adrian could maybe still bring a bit more Travolta.
- Zahorski/Guerreiro, it pains me to say, have the worst senior RD of the year, at least for a prominent team. Awful, awful music cuts, and unlike a number of people on these boards, I actually like The Greatest Showman's music. These two have had a rough time post-Olympics in terms of health, etc., which is going to be a problem for them going forward because Russia has a lot of teams looking to move up in the standings by the next Olympics and they're right in the firing line.
- Glad to see Shevchenko/Eremenko's senior debut. I don't know if they're yet bringing the level of trashiness that a good Christina Aguilera program needs, but they're clearly enjoying themselves.
- Green/Parsons' program is still tasteless.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh. My. Word. Bradie Tennell drew me in. First time that's ever happened for me. I've admired her power, her "I came here to skate" attitude, and her steadily burning energy that gives her something extra.

This, though, was the perfect program for her. For the first time, she was flirtatious, looked the audience in the eye, had fun ... all while delivering her technical very best. Also, I had the feeling she gathered her energy around her and was ready to throw down. As did Wakaba Haguchi, who skated just before Bradie. Something else I've felt for a while is that Bradie has been upping her game at a very steady pace, adding details and refinements and better performance by degrees. It came together tonight. My girl Kaori Sakamoto just sparkled in that program tonight. So much fire, and sass. And she's one for whom, if you've seen her triple triple combinations in person, it's just phenomenal how big and floating and perfect they are.

Something I loved about this Pairs Short Program is that the three who're at the top, and who were expected to be the top three, are vastly different kinds of pairs skaters. They didn't look at all alike on the ice, and that's very refreshing. Peng and Jin have this sort of elvish playfulness that combines with their gorgeous throw jumps and twists and their overall smooth skating that makes them unique. The way Cheng adds a flourish when she lands the throw is just adorable. Daria P. and Denys K. have gained something since last year, for me: they have a confidence that is perfectly exemplified by her smile as she landed the throw jump. They're exquisite, in that way that good technique creates. And then Cain-Gribble and Leduc come out and are so Performance driven, with passion for their music and their programs. They own the ice, and their long gorgeous lines and their speed across the ice create something new and interesting. Like Bradie, they have made steady refinements and improvements over the last 3 years, particularly in their pairs elements. Tomorrow is going to be another great day for pairs, I think.

As for the men, Nathan Chen has gone a different direction with his SP this year, and I loved it. Shows his versatility and artistry in a new way, sort of a dreamy or even romantic mood, but subtle. How he's so consistent with his quads is amazing. Jason Brown -- I finally was able to verbalize something ... yes, his edges, yes his spins, yes his beautiful skating skills ... but what Jason does is that he puts all that beauty and technique into serving the emotion of the music and the program. Something about those whistling interludes in his music are just enchanting, because of the way he uses them, to express something. The light in his eyes shows his inner light, which comes out in his skating. Dmitry Aliyev's skating, there's something so gorgeous about his expression and his musical intelligence that makes his skating like no one else's. Johnny said it's the way he moves his back and shoulders. Whatever it is, I'm immediately with him on the ice. He has presence. When he puts it together with the jumps the way he did today, it's magical. And saving a really special moment: Keegan is showing the depth of his love and generosity and sparkle with this SP to the music he and his bride danced to at their wedding. His whole performance was very moving.

All in all, an excellent day of skating in many unexpected ways!

Oh yes, and dance. Well, who knew ... I didn't ... that Madison Hubbell could channel Marilyn Monroe so beautifully. And wow, does she ever look the part too. Zach was great. I like that their program stayed on the light, playful side, all while maintaining and showing their power and technique.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I somehow didn't die, we'll see for tomorrow. Will minimize fangirling.

Pairs

- Hats off to Zoe Jones. Competing until you're 29 is often a feat, she's 39.
- Calalang/Johnson had a nice twist, Ruest/Wolfe scared me with theirs.
- Per usual SBS jumps claimed a lot of victims.
- Pavliuchenko/Khodykin are aiming for gold here, and their tech was sparkly clean for the SP. If they land their SBS 3F they just might get it, we'll see.
- Cain-Gribble/LeDuc did great minus that hard fall on the throw, which got me scared because last season. I'm always half scared watching them tbh, but they are too compelling not to watch.
- Peng/Jin are my faves here, and while a)Ophelia is going to be hard to beat and b)I wish the music cuts were smoother since she didn't fall on her SBS jump I count it a success. And man that throw loop was just :2thumbs:

Men

- The pop virus nearly got everyone (deep sigh) and I'm not going to comment on the PCS, my rants are of the ugly kind.
- A round of applause for Keegan Messing, competing after the loss of his brother is hard enough, performing the only 100% clean program of the competition is extraordinary. It was a beautiful performance and a beautiful tribute, his brother would've been proud.
- Jason might've popped the 3A, but he was absolutely stunning. He's an artist in the purest meaning of the word. And this was his first competition of the season after being in a car accident. Just, wow.
- Nathan Chen didn't manage to go 100% clean, but well he is doing incredible stuff. I prefer him being a showman but he did perform the program well, respect where respect is due.
- Dima Aliev shocked the hell out of me, I truly do think he's returning to his Masquerade Waltz form. I hope I'm not proven wrong :pray:
- Yes, Kazuki's pink turtleneck is not my favourite either, but I do love that SP. It's from modern ballet (choreographed by Phillip Mills) and needs a performer for it to work, and Kazuki climbed up my fave list because of his performance qualities. Really, once he gets the jumps it's going to be magnificent.
- Uncle Alexei Bychenko, age 31, nailed the 3A and 4T. The Uncle Renaissance isn't quite dead yet, it seems.
- Speaking of the Uncle Renaissance, the flame of it, Michal Brezina wasn't quite a flame per say, but that fire is still burning within him. Glorious 3A and a very convincing sales pitch to like the program (which is not my cup of tea), and he is gorgeous enough to get a pardon for just being in a red shirt, not a costume.
- My darling Junhwan may have popped his 4S, but his growth both artistic and technical shined throughout. And I'm just happy that his boots aren't causing him pain (for now at least)

Ice Dance

- I failed to wake up so had to catch up, the standings were more or less expected. Ah ID and its status quo
- Hubbell/Donohue were really strong, while the music didn't necessarily agree with me they did great. Their SS did really shine
- Stepanova/Bukin have costumes that scream 'might cause costume deduction', a very Moulin Rouge program that mercifully is not ROOOOOOXAAAANE, and a lips-touching kiss ending which honestly baffled me. Are they going out??
- Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen is climbing up the ladder fast, and with good reason. They're good. Really good.
- I still like Zahorski/Guerreiro and Jonathan is still hot :eek:: but their RD music cuts are, well, terrible. So is Tiffany's dress.
- Smart/Diaz's Grease RD remains still my favourite Grease RD of the season, it continues to improve and it's always fun.

Ladies

- Well that did not go as expected.
- Higuchi Wakaba is halfway back to her Skyfall form, energy and passion radiates from her.
- Sakamoto Kaori, the Looper. Damn that loop is awesome. Her speed and flow is always good to watch, especially so when she goes clean like this.
- Bradie Tennell delivered in front of her home crowd, while personally the program's not for me she has developed much on the performance side.
- Anna Shcherbakova got through her jumps (kinda) then fell during the step sequence, which was very unexpected. But she does have quads for the FS.
- Liza T got the 3A pat and then struggled on the rest (including the lutz), which was also unexpected.
- It would've been nice if Stanislava Konstantinova kept on the trend of unexpected results and went clean, but well she didn't. Her eyes were wet at the KnC, poor thing
- Yamashita Mako is not having a good season so far. I blame it on keeping that short with those atrocious vocals, like at least couldn't you change the singer...
- Karen Chen has a lovely spiral. Both Chens here have their tales of college woes, it seems
- Squirtle... She's growing into the program so well, and since no -3T on the opening lutz means 'jumps going awry' 95% of the time I wasn't too upset on the jumps. It's the step sequence level that worries me, it's a serpentine step which is a challenge for her in itself, how difficult is her step sequence going to have to be (sigh)

Generall

- The appreciative crowd deserves all the kudos :thumbsup:
- I wish they'd stop airing commercials while the skaters are waiting for scores, seriously that weight loss commercial was more than inappropriate
- Either give the camera person a gentle slap or a dose of caffeine, the floor wasn't what they was supposed to film.
- The announcers were quite interesting, they got Peng Cheng right but made Aliev into 'Aleve' :confused2:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Getting to see FB/S's rhythm dance without a ten-second lag between visual and audio at last was a genuine treat! They've made something fantastic out of a pretty poor musical, which just goes to show that it's not the music alone, it's what you do with it that matters.

Keegan Messing's SP was just a special moment, and so was Jason Brown's, even with the pop. Bradie Tennell gave it everything she had and reaped the reward; I really like that program on her. Bychenko and Brezina were fun and assured, showing how it's done. And Katia and Harley made progress from Nebelhorn, despite getting a lower score here - it's likely to be a long slow rebuild from them as they get their confidence back, but it's pairs, and pairs takes time.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason.... oh Jason Jason Jason.
Exquisite. That programme is breathtaking. Edges, flow, speed, extension, flexibility, the transitions out of that triple flip... His spins were incredible considering he was struggling with concussion symptoms when spinning. I didn't think he could improve on last year's SP but somehow he did. I think it will be phenomenal with an un-popped 3A.

And Keegan. Skate of the night for me. If you didn't tear up at the end along with Keegan like damn do you have feelings. Really emotional and just the level of courage he must have to go out and skate considering recent events... Massive props, I'm so happy he had a good skate. I hope he can keep it together for the FP.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've watched two events completely, and for two others stuck to watching the first three.

With regard to pairs it was good to see Zoe/Chris still going strong. No falls. They're maybe not at the level of the other pairs but they sure showed a nice piece of skating. I just love them. Camille/Andrew are on the way up I should think, and this applies even more to Ekaterina/Harley who suffered from injury last year and need to build up again. Both pairs were still enjoyable to watch despite some mishaps. Jessica/Brian were a nice surprise. I had never seen them before and they gave a nice performance here. Haven and Brandon are also on the way up, and it's always nice to see Jon and Sylvia in the K&C. I have a very soft spot for Ashley and Timothy, and in my view they are improving all the time. Yes, there was a nasty fall on the throw but the programme in itself was beautiful. The SBS salchows were heavenly (well, to me) while I also very much admire their SBS Spins. Wow! Daria and Denis have grown up, in the sense they're not skating juniorishly any more. A bit more passion in the programme would be nice, but their elements were top notch. And Cheng and Yang? What can I say? Not as clean as the Russian pair but such a joy to watch. And the throw....oh yes! All-in-all, despite the somewhat weak field, a good outing for the pairs.

With regard to the men, whose part of the competition I also saw completely, I'll just state something about the few that really stuck out to me. First of all: Dmitri A. is back and with a vengeance! That guy can skate. I hope he keeps this up during the competition, and better still throughout the season. As I stated in the competition thread earlier, when he's on, he is really on. Kudos! Nathan is becoming a better performer year by year, while keeping up with the technical part. Deservedly in first. Keegan had the most emotional (as well as executed well) performance of all the men. I was moved to tears. He got all his stuff together, but one wasn't thinking about that. The programme just floated on, and if that's the way Keegan feels about his wife, it looks like the deepest kind of love imaginable. Of course I realise the programme also might be a bit of a tribute to his late brother because of more recent happenings, but all-in-all, no spouse could wish for better. I can't forget about the two grandpa's (or uncles) participating. Both Michal and Alexei got to show why they are d**n good skaters. Both had enjoyable programmes, excellent steps, a bit of hit and miss on the jumps but definitely still on those as well! I felt like shouting Hurrah right behind the computer screen. Great stuff.

Ladies and Dance were on during my sleep, so in the morning I just watched the top 3 of both. Somehow, just like in earlier competitions, the RD's can't 'get' to me this year. The only one I really liked so far was Gabrielle/Guillaume's on Fame, but the rest - though I may admire certain lifts, steps, execution of twizzels and so on - so far aren't working for me. Probably because of the theme combined with the Finnstep that just doesn't speak to me so much. Sorry, rant over. The RD's of the Top Three were good, and lovely to see the Danadians well in the mix for a medal.

Ladies was a bit more fun this time. I was really surprised to wake up and read about 'terrific' Bradie Tennell on the ISU site. So, of course I went to see her programme immediately, and yes it was really wonderful. Good for Bradie! I hope she maintains it in the long. That would be really something. I was also surprised to see Wakaba in the mix, and so happy for her after her awful season last year. Hoping she keeps it up as well. Seeing Kaori in the top 3 (second to be exact) was less surprising, and she did a great skate. I'm glad I'm not a judge because I wouldn't know which one to put first, Bradie or Kaori, as they both did so well. Also surprising was the lack of Russian ladies in the top 3. I had hoped for better from both Anna and Liza. Both can leap forward in the FS, but it's still unexpected to see such a result at this stage of the competition.

That's all folks.

medoroa

On the Ice
My dream podium in both ladies and men. Good luck to everyone in the free!

Keegan made me cry. I want to thank him for coming back after such a tragedy and sharing his art with us.

Zora

On the Ice
Just a general thought, but I'm getting tired of all these full-length pop song programs, because there often isn't much variety in the music... Bradie Tennell was never a favorite of mine, but in this regard I found her short program to be really refreshing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know what to make of Bradie's SP. The jumps are certainly there but, her choreography is just weird. Fortunately, the girl can execute her programs and if she skates a good long tomorrow, she might win.

century2009

On the Ice
Yeah Shout out to Bradie for a interesting unique program that suits her so well.

It was ICONIC and masterful! Wonderful!

1111bm

Final Flight
Only watched the men so far (most of it), but I can’t say that I enjoyed many of the programs.

In terms of style, I really like Boyang’s SP actually, but I’d rather see someone else skate that program. It’s not that he doesn’t perform well, he’s definitely committed, but I feel like that kind of a program would shine a lot more if skated by someone with better lines and better quality of movement.
I understand that he’s trying to expand his range and show us another side of him, and kudos to him for not stagnating and repeating the same schtick all the time, it just doesn’t result in the most attractive skate, that’s all.
Other than that, the way he’s been struggling this past season, and now again at SA, is pretty heartbreaking to watch, and I’m not even rooting for him. He seems to be such a goofy cheerful person, and that disappointed face in the end of his program is really sad. I wonder what’s behind his loss of confidence lately.

Aliev’s commitment to his performance was impressive, but for me personally it’s way too theatrical and dramatic, not my cup of tea. But he’s really good at that stuff and it suits him.

Same goes for Jason, his whole body commitment to the choreo is fantastic, but way too many flourishes with the hands and such for my taste.
But also, what was that costume? I didn’t get it, it’s like a fetish nightclub top, and it doesn’t go with the style of the music or the choreography at all, it just felt out of place to me.
I’m also not really buying that style on Jason, although I can’t fault him for trying out something new. But please, it should still be appropriate for the style of the program and not just for the sake of wearing something new and unexpected.

Keegan is such a sweetheart, enough said! :luv17:

Love Nathan’s SP, the way he alternates between soft, fluid movements and those more passionate, fierce moments is really beautiful, he can pull that off really well.
I’m also intrigued that Shae chose such a different theme and style for him this season, because based on their past work, one wouldn’t necessarily expect something this lyrical and nostalgic from them.
That being said, he obviously needs to get more comfortable with a quad heavy layout in that SP and get more runthroughs under his belt to get the timing of the elements right. Because he was really lagging in the second half of the program and had to rush everything in the end (and that program already has a 'rushed character' by design in the end, because of the music).
But I get that structuring that program must be difficult when he's only been working on it by himself for the past 6 weeks, with no one monitoring him.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
The highlights for me were Keegan and Wakaba! Making me emotional when I wasn't expecting it.
I was also pleasantly surprised by P/K and Bradie.

I think the crowd are great and some of the banners are superb!
But the camerawork could be improved.

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
Am i the only on that doesn't enjoy Nathan's short program? It just feels like he's skating to nemesis (a program i liked early in that season) but over new music. His movements are too jerky and sharp for the softness of the music. His stsq isn't very exciting either, it just looks like a slow downed version of something he has done before and doesn't really suit the tone of the music. That said, i do like the music a lot so it's a shame.

Also, for god's sake boy, fix those stiff knees! It hurts just watching those landings at times (maybe i'm being overly critical but it was just all the more obvious since he was skating after Jason).

The stand-outs in men's for me were Jason, Keegan and Junhwan (although both Jason and Jun weren't at their best, their skating is so pleasant to watch).

I watched pairs as well but i'm not very familiar with the terminology or scoring so i'll refrain from commenting. I'm going to catch up on ice dance and ladies before the free's start up now c:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
A general observation would be that overhyping certain skaters does not really do them any favors. (Unless you are skating at home, in which case you will get candies no matter what!) I suppose I'm glad that nobody hypes Dima and thus, he was able to go out and deliver.

Yeah unfortunately this is still a thing every season from all the events hosted by the strongest federations: big help for home skaters who are expected to medal or win, nitpicking on the direct competitors. We saw this in the junior scene as well with JGP USA and JGP Russia.

I really liked Dima's SP and i hope he gets better components going forward cause he deserves more, i'm more a fan of his free skate though: hopefully he keeps it together.