What are some questions you've always wanted to ask a figure skater? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What are some questions you've always wanted to ask a figure skater?

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I've also wondered multiple times how a skater can tell the exact moment when it's time to stop rotating a jump at such crazy speed. I am struggling just to tell triples from quads as a spectator. I cannot imagine how quickly one's mind must be working to simultaneously assess the right moment to stop rotating, and factor in everything else like axis and landing foot position. Just mind boggling for me, their sense of orientation must be immense.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
How in the world do you keep calm, stay focused and deliver your bestest while the judges, TV cam and the whole world are all staring at you, instead of just recoiling in terror and freeze?

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
"Yuna, what's your skincare routine?"
Because really, her skin is flawless and she doesn't age like HOW???. XD

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2. Nathan what's with the floral blouse?

Elton John, baby!:love: And the Seventies! That's about as over-the-top as I've ever seen Nathan get .... if he wanted to be outrageous, he'd have matching floral pants.:laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you plan to retire after this year (please say no Gracie, Keegan, Chris and Alexa, H/B, and heck for that matter PJ Hallam and Andrew Austin)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2. Nathan what's with the floral blouse?
3. Gracie do you really want to skate now?

Hey his mom made it for him!
And yes. Yes she does. If she didn’t she wouldn’t be doing all this.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Elton John, baby!:love: And the Seventies! That's about as over-the-top as I've ever seen Nathan get .... if he wanted to be outrageous, he'd have matching floral pants.:laugh:

Actually - as someone whose siblings were pop fans in the 70s - if he wanted to be authentically period, he should be wearing brightly coloured satin pants so tight you could see his religion, as they say...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually - as someone whose siblings were pop fans in the 70s - if he wanted to be authentically period, he should be wearing brightly coloured satin pants so tight you could see his religion, as they say...

As someone who *was* a pop fan in the 70s, I can safely say that Nathan’s costume has nothing to do with Elton John. I won’t say a word against it, because mom and all (go mom!) and also because color:thumbsup:, but it’s not Elton. And it doesn’t need to be, I’m not one for “authenticity”. :)

As for the topic, I have no questions:biggrin:

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To Peter Carruthers - Why are there no videos short or free) of you and Kitty skating from Lake Placid 1980. You were such a pick-me-up after Tai & Randy withdrew. You skated well and got a standing O - have you no pull to get this done? I have been waiting forever for this!!!

Same for Sheryl Franks & Mike Botticelli (short) and Barbara Underhill & Paul Martini (free).

DenissVFan

Medalist
It's kind of random but I've often wondered about it: to skaters who wear foundation: does it all rub off after you repeatedly blow / wipe your nose? :p

macy

Record Breaker
How in the world do you keep calm, stay focused and deliver your bestest while the judges, TV cam and the whole world are all staring at you, instead of just recoiling in terror and freeze?

same cuz this was me at local club competitions :laugh:

kenboy123

On the Ice
Something that always bothers me...

Why do all of you keep on using the same music over and over again????....

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Hmmm, that does give "Losing My Religion" a whole new level of meaning, doesn't it?

:hap57:

Country
Norway
So the really important question in my mind which I want to ask a skater: Do you have a lot of bruises all over your butt after all those falls?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you practice in your actual costumes at all before a competition? Just to get used to them?

Not a skater myself, but Tanith did address this and stated that ice dance practices were "always" done in full costume and makeup and that the judges watched "all" of them. That'd freak me right out.