What are some questions you've always wanted to ask a figure skater? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What are some questions you've always wanted to ask a figure skater?

Skatie

On the Ice
Knowing what you know today about the biased judging and all the normal “childhood” events you miss as you practice and compete, mental and physical health issues in the skating environment, would you do it all over again-or ever put your kids in skating?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Knowing what you know today about the biased judging and all the normal “childhood” events you miss as you practice and compete, mental and physical health issues in the skating environment, would you do it all over again-or ever put your kids in skating?

Yes, in a heartbeat.

PinkElephants

Rinkside
To men dancers: does it hurt when your partner steps on your foot during a lift? How does she not damage the skates? :biggrin:

Is it easier to skate on completely new/clean ice or after it's somewhat "broken in"? What about skaters that are more used to practicing on poor ice? Also, how often do you practice full runthroughs to the music vs just individual elements?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To Peter Carruthers - Why are there no videos short or free) of you and Kitty skating from Lake Placid 1980. You were such a pick-me-up after Tai & Randy withdrew. You skated well and got a standing O - have you no pull to get this done? I have been waiting forever for this!!!

Same for Sheryl Franks & Mike Botticelli (short) and Barbara Underhill & Paul Martini (free).

Sorely missing 40-year-old footage of a then virtually unknown pair team at a single event.

Kindred spirits! Not that I particularly care about this... but it is the SORT of thing that I would care about.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorely missing 40-year-old footage of a then virtually unknown pair team at a single event.

Kindred spirits! Not that I particularly care about this... but it is the SORT of thing that I would care about.

Oddly enough I have audio from this event on cassette. There are some gems in the Dick Button commentary. If only I had video and knew how to attach audio.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Male pair & dance skaters - How do you feel about your partner's ponytails? Do they get in your way, hit you in the eye? Have you asked them to cut or change their hair because of this?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Me too. 100%

- - - Updated - - -

Oddly enough I have audio from this event on cassette. There are some gems in the Dick Button commentary. If only I had video and knew how to attach audio.

I miss Uncle Dick.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was wondering if the way of the acoustics of the arena works they could hear their music when people are cheering too loudly. I assume the answer is yes, but I am curious. I know that on the spectators’ seats I could not hear the music from time to time in Kelowna. And, like, are they prepared for it?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is your favorite stuffie/gift you have received from a fan? What animal is your favorite so I can throw a good stuffie you will like?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you own more than one copy of your costume for a given competition? Do you dry clean or hand wash your costumes?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, in a heartbeat.

Me too. There are no doubt times when you are lonely, especially in the beginning. I remember times when I didn't see friends for days. However, once you make friends, even from other rinks
it became quite fun. If my parents hadn't forced me to choose between skating and dance I would have stayed in as long as I could have. I would ask them how they dealt with the lonely times and how they got past it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
To men dancers: does it hurt when your partner steps on your foot during a lift? How does she not damage the skates? :biggrin:

Is it easier to skate on completely new/clean ice or after it's somewhat "broken in"? What about skaters that are more used to practicing on poor ice? Also, how often do you practice full runthroughs to the music vs just individual elements?

Not a male dancer, but know as a female dancer that when we step up on to male partners boot, leg, etc that it's on the flat of the blade so they are not getting cut with our edges or toepicks.;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Male pair & dance skaters - How do you feel about your partner's ponytails? Do they get in your way, hit you in the eye? Have you asked them to cut or change their hair because of this?

What about all those males with ponytails?

macy

Record Breaker
Yes, in a heartbeat.

100% agree. the experiences and lessons i learned from skating are something i will take with me for the rest of my life. it has given me skills and qualities i wouldn't have otherwise- time management, work ethic, resilience, problem solving, ambition, discipline. my time as a skater was invaluable.