Skaters with proper technique: appreciation thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters with proper technique: appreciation thread

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Good technique only doesn't win titles or put your name high in the history books. I keep reading that Michelle Kwan didn't have a "good technique" but she dominated figure skating in the 90 and history remembers her as one of the greatest. I don't get this trend of shaming skaters because they don't have "proper" technique. Ok, penalise the skaters if the international rules made by the government body of this sport say that they are doing badly a certain jump or skill. Not by internet experts.

I always hated the word "proper" and the expression "text book". By what standards, by what book? Technique can vary from schol to school, from country to country. It's only one "proper" way of doing jumps? What are the actual official rules comparing to the rules made up by fans online because they like a certain skater and they use him/her as a standard? It's confusing to say the least

Good jump technique is the foundation for jumps. They might not win you medals by themselves, but they can certainly keep you off podiums and derail your career (e.g. Asada, Med, Radianova, Pogo, ). Tukt has been able to hold onto longevity precisely because she has textbook jump technique, despite everything else about her skating being mediocre at best. There are "textbook" jumps for landings and positions that are widely agreed upon.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Its hard to find skater with proper technique on all of their jumps, if i must choose probably Kostner. Tuktamysheva also but with her flip edge being iffy now im not sure... Yuna also have quite iffy flip sometimes.

As for per jump
Lutz
- Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
- Yuna Kim
- Carolina Kostner
- Tomoe Kawabata
- Mako Yamashita
- Rika Kihira
- Alexia Paganini
- Nana Araki

Flip
- Carolina Kostner
- Mako Yamashita
- Rika Kihira

Loop
- Kaori Sakamoto
- Evgenia Medvedeva
- Ashley Wagner
- Mirai Nagasu

Salchow
- Evgenia Medvedeva
- Wakaba Higuchi

Axel
- Wakaba Higuchi
- Yuna Kim
- Kaori Sakamoto
- Adelina Sotnikova
- Mirai Nagasu

:thumbsup: a good selection!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don’t really care about proper technique on jumps, sad to say....

Spins: Jason Brown, Deniss Vasiljevs, of course back in the day Toller (no not Denise Bielmann, can’t stand that spin:noshake:)

I think in spins, proper technique may be more necessary for good scoring than for revolutions in the air. But I don’t know for sure:scratch2:

Briananing

On the Ice
I always hated the word "proper" and the expression "text book". By what standards, by what book? Technique can vary from schol to school, from country to country. It's only one "proper" way of doing jumps? What are the actual official rules comparing to the rules made up by fans online because they like a certain skater and they use him/her as a standard? It's confusing to say the least

It s not just fans, there is a guidline and simulations by ISU how jumps should and shouldn't be done. Which one is proper technique which one is cheated. I think the one who have it should be given a higher GOE atleast by the one who didnt have it. But you see, tukt's lutz sometimes even have lower GOE than some flutzer.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
It s not just fans, there is a guidline and simulations by ISU how jumps should and shouldn't be done. Which one is proper technique which one is cheated. I think the one who have it should be given a higher GOE atleast by the one who didnt have it. But you see, tukt's lutz sometimes even have lower GOE than some flutzer.
This.
Edit - flutzers and full bladers and tiny jumpers... With no height nor distance who get 160 for FS. :)

Grin

Medalist
Btw, some of the skaters mentioned in this thread have excessive pre rotation on lutz/flip. For example - Rika Kihira, she doesn't leave the ice at 90 degrees like Liza.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Anyone want to discuss "proper technique" on skills like counters, rockers, brackets, twizzles, choctaws, etc.?

The technical panel sure pays close attention during step sequences and pattern dances. Judges will notice there and also in in-between skating between elements, though their scoring process has more room to offset technical errors on such turns with good qualities also present in the sequences or transitions.

And what about good technique on crossovers and other basic stroking?

All just as important to the results as jump technique!

lzxnl

Final Flight
Btw, some of the skaters mentioned in this thread have excessive pre rotation on lutz/flip. For example - Rika Kihira, she doesn't leave the ice at 90 degrees like Liza.

Rika's lutz isn't perfect. She gets off the ice at or just before 180 degrees, so it's passable in my book. I'd argue Tomoe or Yuna are much better ambassadors for 'correct' lutzes. That said, Rika does a toe-assisted jump with a deep edge and gets off the ice before 180 degrees, which is much better than a lot of her rivals.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
This.
Edit - flutzers and full bladers and tiny jumpers... With no height nor distance who get 160 for FS. :)

Didn't you bash Anna with this exact statement somewhere else too? Please stop

This is rapidly dissolving into a skater bashing party just like I feared it would

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone want to discuss "proper technique" on skills like counters, rockers, brackets, twizzles, choctaws, etc.?

The technical panel sure pays close attention during step sequences and pattern dances. Judges will notice there and also in in-between skating between elements, though their scoring process has more room to offset technical errors on such turns with good qualities also present in the sequences or transitions.

And what about good technique on crossovers and other basic stroking?

All just as important to the results as jump technique!

Yes!

I know very little, but I am willing to learn (and hearing Rohene’s voice still in that classic training clip with Jason: that’s not a counter! Clean up that choctaw! What kind of spin is thaaaat?)

Much more interesting, to me, than staring at the edge or the toe or the whatever in a jump;)

gkelly

Record Breaker
I just did a search on youtube for "figure skating counter technique" and found a whole page of links to videos by coaches and others describing what these turns are and how they are supposed to be performed.

Same for the names of each of the other difficult turns.

That should give a good start for fan self-education.

SXTN

Final Flight
no honey, this is textbook. let's please stop with this "full blade takeoff" crap. she doesn't even do anything near that in the example you provided.

with that, i am also leaving this thread :slink:

Gracie's lutz was ok, but not textbook. Textbook is when the toe leaves the ice after 90 degrees of preroation like Elizaveta, Yuna or Carolina. Gracie's turns her toe a little more on the ice and leaves after 180 degrees.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Gracie's lutz was ok, but not textbook. Textbook is when the toe leaves the ice after 90 degrees of preroation like Elizaveta, Yuna or Carolina. Gracie's turns her toe a little more on the ice and leaves after 180 degrees.
This.
And both her lutz and toe loop were full blade assisted.

Ulrica

On the Ice
Hahaha..although I can recognise good technique sometimes (like Elisaveta's 3 Axel), I wouldn't dare say the technique from other skaters isn't proper. Who decides what proper technique is? If you do your lutz on an outside edge it's pretty proper to me. And if you manage it with your own technique (which some might not call good), but it's an outside edge and you land it nicely, who would I be to say this one needs lower GOE? Okay, I'm out too....

The ISU rule book (which is sadly rarely properly followed by the judges), also if anyone can do a particular jump "with their own technique", then different jumps might as well not exist. The point of differentiating jumps is doing them with the proper technique.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
The ISU rule book (which is sadly rarely properly followed by the judges), also if anyone can do a particular jump "with their own technique", then different jumps might as well not exist. The point of differentiating jumps is doing them with the proper technique.
Thank you.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Man whenever I see the words "true lutz" I run away from the discussion as soon as possible. This thread will not be an exception.

Orlov

Medalist
Textbook is when the toe leaves the ice after 90 degrees of preroation like Elizaveta, Yuna or Carolina.

I always want to ask about that - why? :) You understand that what you call a “textbook” is a training video from some gray 60s of the last century with double jumps? :) Why exactly 90? If 120 - is not a textbook anymore? Because videos with doubles from the 60s? :laugh:

Ok, lets talk about prer. In the midst of twitter-experts and “textbook”-fanatics there is such a inaudible, but implied statement - "prerotation is equivalent to UR". I mean, they often say: look, here 180 degrees of PRER and 90 degrees of UR (often it's far-fetched 90 degrees for more expression for further approval), so it's 3.25 turns (they love this number :)), so it's triple, not quad, yeeeyy! :laugh:

I always considered this statement as very strange, because for me prer and UR are obvious not equivalent - because when making a prer, immediately at the moment of these 180 degrees, the skater almost does not stand on ice (a more rigorous formulation - his support reaction force is very small) and skater's body is an elongated, unfolded at a completely uncomfortable angle, figure. But the fanatics of the “holy zero prer” pretend that the skater is perfectly fine in this pose, and just now, at this moment, he/she started his/her jump!

So, why 90? Old video with double not argument for me - it's obviously, on a low-speed jump there will be have a small prer.

And one more question - is there here on this forum a real skater who actually did the triple? And who can tell from own experience that a triple made with prer over 90 degrees is much easier to do than with a prer less than less 90 degrees?

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I always want to ask about that - why? :) You understand that what you call a “textbook” is a training video from some gray 60s of the last century with double jumps? :) Why exactly 90? If 120 - is not a textbook anymore? Because videos with doubles from the 60s? :laugh:

Ok, lets talk about prer. In the midst of twitter-experts and “textbook”-fanatics there is such a inaudible, but implied statement - "prerotation is equivalent to UR". I mean, they often say: look, here 180 degrees of PRER and 90 degrees of UR (often it's far-fetched 90 degrees for more expression for further approval), so it's 3.25 turns (they love this number :)), so it's triple, not quad, yeeeyy! :laugh:

I always considered this statement as very strange, because for me prer and UR are obvious not equivalent - because when making a prer, immediately at the moment of these 180 degrees, the skater almost does not stand on ice (a more rigorous formulation - his support reaction force is very small) and skater's body is an elongated, unfolded at a completely uncomfortable angle, figure. But the fanatics of the “holy zero prer” pretend that the skater is perfectly fine in this pose, and just now, at this moment, he/she started his/her jump!

So, why 90? Old video with double not argument for me - it's obviously, on a low-speed jump there will be have a small prer.

And one more question - is there here on this forum a real skater who actually did the triple? And who can tell from own experience that a triple made with prer over 90 degrees is much easier to do than with a prer less than less 90 degrees?
These videos are not from the 60s and are not about doubles, OMG! Are you serious? They are computer simulations. In the 60s there was no computer animation. I would say they are at least from the 80s.
I am tired of all of these excuses why some skaters have such poor technique.

Orlov

Medalist
These videos are not from the 60s and are not about doubles, OMG! Are you serious? They are computer simulations. In the 60s there was no computer animation. I would say they are at least from the 80s.
Ha-ha-ha, I'm really laughing right now. :laugh: I do numerical methods and it always amuses me how people who are far from this confuse “simulation” and “animation”. This is animation my dear not a simulation :) You can draw anything, it's not relevant. It’s just a convenient, simplified, educational animation.

I am tired of all of these excuses why some skaters have such poor technique.

Yea? But I’m really interested is why prer over 90 degrees is a bad technique, and less 90 it is a good one?

What is the basis of your belief that the prer makes it easier to jump? Maybe so, but who said it? Has anyone researched it? Famous figure skaters said - "I did with prer and without, with prer was much easier, almost like a double" ? Can you give a link to this?