Returning Skater... Jackson skates changed and now need boot advice? | Golden Skate

Returning Skater... Jackson skates changed and now need boot advice?

joyasada

Spectator
Hello all, this is my first post!! I would love and appreciate any advice :)

I'm a returning skater trying to figure out what boots to purchase; here's my quick backstory:
I started skating when I was 10, and picked things up pretty quickly since I also was a competitive dancer from age 4. I got up to pre-juvenile MIF and was working on double toe and double loop at age 13 when I had to quit. At the time I had only worn 2 skates: some type of recreational Riedell skates when I first started (can't remember exact model but it was around $80) and then the Jackson Freestyle skates with included Aspire XP blades.

Right around the time I quit my coach was telling me that I needed to get new skates, and at the time I really liked my Jackson Freestyle skates. I have bunions (on big toe and small toe) as a result of dancing for so long, so I think my feet are on the wide side. I also have rather high arches, so Jacksons worked out really well. I was going to get the Jackson Competitor Figure Skates now that I'm getting back into skating at 17 years old, only I found that Jackson doesn't stock those anymore.

It looks like the Debut and Premiere Fusion boots are the next level up- does anyone have experience in these boots? I don't think overbooting is an issue, or rather I should say that I am more concerned with pricing. I have to pay for my skates with my own salary, and I was planning on spending around $450 on the Competitor skates. I felt that the Freestyle stiffness was fine up to double toe, so would my best bet be to purchase the Competitor set from a warehouse? Or should I purchase the Freestyles again? If I were to buy the Debut/Premiere boot, what blades would you recommend? I've heard a lot about the Coronation Ace but is there a big difference in skating quality between it and the XP Blade?

I'm planning to skate 2-3 times a week on my own time and relearn my skills. I will probably wait until I go to college to start getting private coaching again. In my scenario what is the best boot/blade combo to get?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Vicki7

On the Ice
Can't advise on what to get, but I'm a heavy adult skater who's been in Debuts with Coronation Ace blades for just over a year. For me, they work well, although I'm only just starting my singles - waltz, toe loop and salchow currently on the work in progress list.

With what you were working on, I'd say any skate sold as a kit is going to be underbooting for you, but there are more experienced folks here who can advise. Blades wise I know skaters working on doubles with Coronation Ace so that might be worth a look.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
The Debut Fusion and the Freestyle are the same stiffness rating (45-50) and Premiere is 65. Which one is appropriate for you mostly depends on your weight. I'm an older adult beginner, but I'm in Debut Fusion because of my weight. If you are a typical lighter skater, you should be fine in the Fusion as I think they are rated up to doubles. If you are light, you might find the Premieres uncomfortable.

The Aspire is an higher level beginner blade. Coro Ace is an intermediate-competitive blade. I think you should look at the Coro Ace.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Can't advise on what to get, but I'm a heavy adult skater who's been in Debuts with Coronation Ace blades for just over a year. For me, they work well, although I'm only just starting my singles - waltz, toe loop and salchow currently on the work in progress list.

With what you were working on, I'd say any skate sold as a kit is going to be underbooting for you, but there are more experienced folks here who can advise. Blades wise I know skaters working on doubles with Coronation Ace so that might be worth a look.

Gonna echo this - I’m a 5’7” 90kg stocky makes adult skater just starting toe loop and salchow, and I’m in the Debut with MK Professionals. Going on a year in these boots and they still seem to be holding up well!

I also have bunions and the Debut comes in wide. I got them heat molded and punched by my fitter and they accommodate my bunions really nicely.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hello all, this is my first post!! I would love and appreciate any advice :)

I'm a returning skater trying to figure out what boots to purchase; here's my quick backstory:
I started skating when I was 10, and picked things up pretty quickly since I also was a competitive dancer from age 4. I got up to pre-juvenile MIF and was working on double toe and double loop at age 13 when I had to quit. At the time I had only worn 2 skates: some type of recreational Riedell skates when I first started (can't remember exact model but it was around $80) and then the Jackson Freestyle skates with included Aspire XP blades.

Right around the time I quit my coach was telling me that I needed to get new skates, and at the time I really liked my Jackson Freestyle skates. I have bunions (on big toe and small toe) as a result of dancing for so long, so I think my feet are on the wide side. I also have rather high arches, so Jacksons worked out really well. I was going to get the Jackson Competitor Figure Skates now that I'm getting back into skating at 17 years old, only I found that Jackson doesn't stock those anymore.

It looks like the Debut and Premiere Fusion boots are the next level up- does anyone have experience in these boots? I don't think overbooting is an issue, or rather I should say that I am more concerned with pricing. I have to pay for my skates with my own salary, and I was planning on spending around $450 on the Competitor skates. I felt that the Freestyle stiffness was fine up to double toe, so would my best bet be to purchase the Competitor set from a warehouse? Or should I purchase the Freestyles again? If I were to buy the Debut/Premiere boot, what blades would you recommend? I've heard a lot about the Coronation Ace but is there a big difference in skating quality between it and the XP Blade?

I'm planning to skate 2-3 times a week on my own time and relearn my skills. I will probably wait until I go to college to start getting private coaching again. In my scenario what is the best boot/blade combo to get?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Sibelius has a daughter who just moved up from Debut Fusion to Premiere boots. She is younger than you but is working on doubles, so these threads should provide you some good information. Obviously you need a good fitter, but you might want to consider the Premiere as I think it was the next step up from Competitors. Ic3Rabbit has posted a ton of useful information on blades and boots in various threads. I think she would say that yes, there is a big quality difference in Aspire v Coro Ace blades. They also have different rockers.

Here are a few threads to start you off. You will find a ton more if you search or scroll through them.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?72193-Boot-blade-advice
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...haring-Opinions-on-Jackson-Debut-FS2440-Boots
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?82842-New-Boot-and-Blade-Update
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?81909-Gold-Star-Blades

joyasada

Spectator
Thank you guys for all the advice! I think I'm leaning towards the Debuts and Coro Ace's, but definitely will go see a skate tech for final boot decisions. Can someone give me a ballpark for how many sharpenings I can get out of the CA's? I would like for them to last 2 years-ish (skating ~3-4 times a week)

Sibelius

On the Ice
Sibelius has a daughter who just moved up from Debut Fusion to Premiere boots. She is younger than you but is working on doubles, so these threads should provide you some good information.

Hey, that's me!. Pretty much all my advice and opinions are wrapped up in those threads. One last bit though, at 17, if you're not a pixie (not that there's anything wrong with that) weight wise the Premiere is, according to my 11 year old and several skate techs, not that much stiffer than the Debut. They are about $100 more and will carry you much farther if you can swing it initially, and they aren't too stiff for you getting back to regular skating. That said, the Debut is a great boot and will get you going for a few months. The Premiere would probably meet your 2 year time table better. Get fit properly though, and remember these Jackson's are different than your old ones, they've changed lasting and widths so don't commit if it doesn't fit. (Cheesy, but catchy!) and don't risk injury to save a few hundred dollars over a year, not worth it.

As far as CA sharpenings, we had hers done every six weeks for a year, so that's about 8 sharpenings without any mentions of approaching a limit. Just had her Gold Seals sharpened today at 4 weeks at the request of her coach so, looks like it'll be more frequent with these blades.

celia

Rinkside
One last bit though, at 17, if you're not a pixie (not that there's anything wrong with that) weight wise the Premiere is, according to my 11 year old and several skate techs, not that much stiffer than the Debut. They are about $100 more and will carry you much farther if you can swing it initially, and they aren't too stiff for you getting back to regular skating.

I am 5'-4" and average weight and I have worn Jackson Premieres for singles and axel attempts. I love them. My current Premieres are not the Fusions as they are an older model but I expect them to last at least one more year. They are rated for axels and beginning doubles. I don't find them too stiff, but I grew up in the 1990's and like my boots stiffs (hello Riedell Royals). I did find that there was almost no break-in period due to the heat molding.

mskater93

Record Breaker
For sharpening, John at Rainbo (no one else), John at Downers Grove ice arena, and Chris at Glacier ice arena are the only people I trust in Chicagoland to sharpen. Everyone else, buyer beware

Nimyue

On the Ice
Thank you guys for all the advice! I think I'm leaning towards the Debuts and Coro Ace's, but definitely will go see a skate tech for final boot decisions. Can someone give me a ballpark for how many sharpenings I can get out of the CA's? I would like for them to last 2 years-ish (skating ~3-4 times a week)

This is definitely what I'd recommend. You can wear these for a long time and the Debut is a higher quality than the Freestyle. The Coro Ace you can wear for the remainder of your skating life as they are rated for doubles.

Nimyue

On the Ice
For sharpening, John at Rainbo (no one else), John at Downers Grove ice arena, and Chris at Glacier ice arena are the only people I trust in Chicagoland to sharpen. Everyone else, buyer beware

John at Downer's Grove is good, but make sure he does it, not his assistant. The only downside of John is that he sharpens everyone at 7/16 and doesn't do different hollows.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You can ask for a different hollow. He does for me. Specify when you call to make an appointment