Who is a more dominant skater: Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen? | Golden Skate

Who is a more dominant skater: Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen?

Tahuu

On the Ice
Yuzu has two Olympic gold medals. He is one of the greatest male skaters of all time. But I think winning Olympic gold medal has a lot to do with luck besides skill, especially in figure skating. You only have one shot in four years at one gold medal.

For dominance, we may consider the athlete’s winning percentage against each other and against their peers.

In their head-to-head competitions so far (16’NHK, 16’GPF, 17’4CC, 17’WC, 17’WTT, 17’RC, 18’WO, 19’WC), Yuzu and Nathan are 4 to 4. Of these eight competitions, five were in Nathan’s senior debut season.

Yuzu’s winning percentage in ten seasons since his senior debut is 49% (21 golds in 43 competitions, which included 8 senior B competitions). Nathan’s winning percentage in four seasons since his debut is 72% (13 golds in 18 competitions, which included 2 senior Bs). What’s remarkable is that since his 2nd senior season, Nathan has won all competitions except the 18’ Olympics (10 golds in 11 competitions), a 91% winning percentage.

Who do you think more dominant or better competitor/skater and what’s your measure in determine domination and the better competitive skater?

ETA: Thou the thread title is limited in scope, I would like to have a place to talk about Yuzu and Nathan. They are the two top skaters in the current men’s field. We can’t talk Yuzu in Nathan’s FF and we can’t mention Nathan in Yuzu’s FF. The Edge is the only place we can compare them. Yuzu is a determined warrior and Nathan is a calculated assassin. The season has begun. Nathan just won SA last week and Yuzu is headlining SC this week. Yuzu has vowed to win back with dominance. Will he add 4Lz, 4F or even 4A next? How will he score at SC? Who will break their win-loss tie at the GPF? What strategy and layout will they use to win the Worlds? There’s a lot to look forward to.

medoroa

On the Ice
Currently, Chen. The reasons Hanyu couldn't beat him at Worlds last year were 1. stamina and 2. consistency. Chen is simply younger, which gives him the edge.

Over-all in the history of skating, that remains to be seen. Hanyu has been a senior for a whopping 10 seasons while this is only Chen's 4th season.

As for the definition of a "better competitor", I have to say "bringing it when it counts". Hanyu has this in spades, I'd even go as far as to say it's his best quality as an athlete. But as said, Chen has many years to catch up.

Who is better, on the other hand, is personal taste. I'm pretty sure that's what this thread will degenerate into.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Nathan: he’s only improved as a competitor as his senior seasons have gone on. Yuzu hasn’t done as well recently, maybe due to injury or age who knows. His ankles really scare me when his landings are sloppy and shaky. All I hope he that he ends his career on a high and not injured and continuously beaten by younger and more capable skaters.

believed

On the Ice
Why did you start this thread? Are you trying to create even more drama than this forum already creates naturally? totally not necessarily and it has been discussed multiple times... please stop with these threads...

Honestly. Wasn’t the last one enough??

lady_bee

Medalist
:popcorn::devil::popcorn::cheer2::popcorn::laugh2::popcorn:
Problem is, I don't like popcorn. What food do you recommend when you watch any drama?

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Depends on your definition of dominant . If by dominant you mean sheer technical prowess and efficiency, then Nathan . If you mean the ability to take you on a transcendental journey with an athletic and artistic prowess leaving you almost breathless in awe, it’s Yuzuru .

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
More dominant currently or in their career?

I would say Nathan is currently more dominant- only skater to have 5 quads, currently #1 in world standing, top two combined total scores as well as other records, etc.

Yuzuru has had the more dominant career, however. #1 in world standing 5 times, double OGM, nearly always 1st or 2nd in comps, etc. I believe this is his tenth season competing internationally as a senior & he is still considered a contender for gold at every competition he enters.

To summarize, they are both history-making, world class skaters! :biggrin:

icybear

Medalist
Are we just waiting for some easily ignited fan to get triggered by a comment here and then go on a back and forth mindless rant with each other:popcorn:

century2009

On the Ice
I actually didnt know these numbers. It is quite interesting.

It does feel like Nathan is quite dominating and appreciate that he keeps improving and trying something new every year even though given Yale, he could do the same programs.

I like them both and they both are great competitors. They make each one better.

I know Hanyu really wants to work on the jumps, but I wish he had new programs. I just want something different that he is really capable of.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Agree with that, Hanyu’s programs seemed dated and old-school. I get he’s trying to work on jumps but if it keeps making him injured maybe he should focus on something else. Not sure if he’s planning to compete in Beijing but I would take a year or two off to fully heal if I were him.

noskates

Record Breaker
A question like this just causes factions. I prefer Nathan. Somebody else is going to prefer Hanyu. What difference does it make? The best is whoever wins a competition they're both in at that time and place. Both willl leave legacies but probably for different reasons. I hate cilantro but I love rosemary.

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Well, Yuzuru is already the definition of figure skating. A rock star who fills up arenas with his artistic ad technical mastery.
Nathan is a fresh breath in the sport with his energetic performances, hiphop, minimalistic costumes :laugh: etc. I personally love both of them. Their free programs at Worlds after one another was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen.
A lot of skaters were predicted to overtake Yuzuru and so far none of them succeeded. Yes, Nathan beat him at Worlds but he will have to show much more of that, and consistently. Considering Yuzuru is almost 25 years old, Nathan might overtake him fully one time. Time will tell. But that will take nothing away from Yuzuru's achievements.
And Nathan is insanely talented, fun, humble, laidback, and I have a feeling that those qualities will get him very far. :)
I personally enjoy these big rivalries in figure skating like Mao vs Yuna, Alina vs Evgenia and Nathan vs Yuzuru etc.
(And I didn't read the previous thread, so I had to engage in the debate. :laugh: And I didn't directly reply to the question of dominance, so sorry about that. )