Who is a more dominant skater: Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is a more dominant skater: Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen?

mrrice

Record Breaker
At this very minute....Nathan. I hope this is the last time I see this question.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru is my favorite skater, but it's hard to be dominant when you're constantly recovering from injury.

I love Nathan, too, and right now he is top dog.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
:bang:

Can't we just say they are both great in their own way and leave it at that? They are in a league of their own and push each other to be better. I prefer Yuzuru, some prefer Nathan. Who cares? We are lucky enough to live in a time where we get to see both of them skate.

alexaa

Final Flight
This is causing me severe headache. Can mod close this thread?

Dave of the notorious TSL stated recently “Nathan is a one in a million talent”, “Yuzuru is one in a million talent. Which is good for Nathan”.

Nathan said countless times Yuzuru inspired him and pushed him. I shared that appreciation with him. They are two amazingly talented, motivated and hard working skaters with totally different styles, which is a good thing for FS fans, and the development of the sport.

I guess Yuzuru got some motivation from Nathan also. I hope he pays more attention to stay healthy and fit, and this “friendly rivalry between them” as Meryl, Orser put will last as long as it can.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Err.... both, actually. There may be a maximum of one 'the dominant' at any time (there may be none!) but you said 'a dominant'.

Nathan Chen, Steinian as I personally find him, is currently number 1 in the ranks, no two ways about that, he is the most successful scoring-wise at the current time (and yes, since 2017 Yuzu has been held back by injuries, illness and pain, but scoring-wise doesn't take account for that, only hearts do).

Yuzuru Hanyu is the cynosure.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I've never really thought of Hanyu as 'dominant' even during his reign. He has two historic Olympic gold medals, but he's lost the top step many times to various skaters like Javier Fernandez, Patrick Chan, and Nathan Chen during his prime. But Hanyu is capable of having dream skates, memorable programs that I continue to watch monthly just to remind myself how amazing he really is when he's on. Chen is more consistent and technically gifted on the jumps but he has yet to possess the same magic, that same attunement to the music, in part because he has to focus a lot on the multiple quads and in part because he's still progressing as an artist. That said, Chen might become that skater later on in his career.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is a hard question. I mean Yuzuru has 2 OG mind you it was a bit of luck - tiing et al. I guess Nathan is dominating now but it is so hard to compare.

ltc

Rinkside
Hopefully I'm not jinxing the thread but just wanna say I appreciate the appreciation for both skaters that has been posted so far :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:bang:

Can't we just say they are both great in their own way and leave it at that? They are in a league of their own and push each other to be better. I prefer Yuzuru, some prefer Nathan. Who cares? We are lucky enough to live in a time where we get to see both of them skate.

This is just like the Voir/Marlie years. I totally agree with what you say above NOW, just like I would have totally agreed if you had said it THEN. Although I must admit that I still treasure the exchange between a poster who insisted Marlie gained speed by hopping up (unlike the smooth stroking of Voir) and Doris pointed out there was a slight problem with this assertion: it completely violated the laws of physics. :laugh2:

Hopefully I'm not jinxing the thread but just wanna say I appreciate the appreciation for both skaters that has been posted so far :)

And I appreciate your appreciation of the appreciation. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nathan Chen, Steinian as I personally find him, is currently number 1 in the ranks, no two ways about that, he is the most successful scoring-wise at the current time (and yes, since 2017 Yuzu has been held back by injuries, illness and pain, but scoring-wise doesn't take account for that, only hearts do).

Yuzuru Hanyu is the cynosure.

OK ... fools rush in where angels fear to tread, but I am going to take a shot at Steinian and go with, "Nathan, à la Gertrude Stein, drives his point home by relentless repetition until he just wears down all resistance."

As for cynosure, I think we have to agree that Hanyu's effulgence outshines the North Star.

I love this board. :rock: ;)

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OK ... fools rush in where angels fear to tread, but I am going to take a shot at Steinian and go with, "Nathan, à la Gertrude Stein, drives his point home by relentless repetition until he just wears down all resistance."

As for cynosure, I think we have to agree that Hanyu's effulgence outshines the North Star.

I love this board. :rock: ;)

It was Gertrude, but for me it's a different quote - "there is no there there" - which is always something personal, and pretty neutral for an Aussie sports fan (you should hear my interior monologue about the three skaters I actually and cheerfully loathe)

And I loooooooooove the word effulgence, I do :luv17:

This is a hard question. I mean Yuzuru has 2 OG mind you it was a bit of luck - timing et al.

Yes, I am sure Yuzuru on the PC ice was thinking "how truly blessed I am, having to defend my title under the unimaginable weight of almost my entire country's eyes on me, against the strongest men's field in ages and on three weeks jumps training, half an ankle and painkillers..." :scratch3:

And be fair, you could say the same about Nathan Chen's World golds, couldn't you? After all both years, at least one major rival (Yuzu and last year Shoma as well) was battling serious injuries. Doesn't take away from either man's achievements.

They are BOTH dominant skaters. Whether they are both going to be dominant legends... that's not up to us, the future will control the narrative.

alexaa

Final Flight
It was Gertrude, but for me it's a different quote...

And be fair, you could say the same about Nathan Chen's World golds, couldn't you? After all both years, at least one major rival (Yuzu and last year Shoma as well) was battling serious injuries. Doesn't take away from either man's achievements.

They are BOTH dominant skaters. Whether they are both going to be dominant legends... that's not up to us, the future will control the narrative.

Well then, please also remember Nathan was dealing with big life changes as well for this year’s worlds, training mostly by himself with little supervision from anyone, balancing heavy course loads at school with skating (which is easier compared with school in his recent interview), while battling sickness throughout spring semester, which forced him to cancel trip to Gadbois before the worlds.

He was also dealing with injuries himself before OG which prevented him trying 4lz, even though his disastrous SPs were mainly due to his mental breakdown.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well then, please also remember Nathan was dealing with big life changes as well for this year’s worlds, training mostly by himself with little supervision from anyone, balancing heavy course loads at school with skating, while battling sickness throughout spring semester, which forced him to cancel trip to Gadbois before the worlds.

Errrr... he chose that path. You don't get sympathy points for your own considered and rational decisions in life. And please note that I said "doesn't take away from either man's achievements."

alexaa

Final Flight
Errrr... he chose that path. You don't get sympathy points for your own considered and rational decisions in life. And please note that I said "doesn't take away from either man's achievements."

I am just stating facts when you say “ in all fairness”, then all factors needed to be considered. Nathan was not in his top form either when he won.

Plus he doesn’t need your sympathy, nor does Yuzu and Shoma. Whatever happened just makes Nathan, Yuzu and Shoma stronger.

In sports, a result is a result.

Having said that, Nathan said something like in his interview with Meryl several days ago after his SkAM win that "We (current skaters) genuinely care about each other, beyond just like a skating sort of competitive respect. We actually care about how the person is doing, and all these different things." He said "only one person gets to win each competition, but the same time any person can win it.... And really respect the fact that maybe you'll get it, maybe you won't, but that's OK because we've all put in the work to do so."

They all care about each other, that is what it matters.

Pray good health for all the skaters out there.