Who is a more dominant skater: Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who is a more dominant skater: Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Presently I would say Nathan. I really don't see how he can be beaten if he is healthy. His Tes is the best in the business
and he has the PC's too. He is in a win win situation. He dominated and was undefeated last season,
and I believe he will repeat this season.

Do we have to stick to just these two? Patrick Chan from 2011 to 2014 went 12 for 17, with 4 silvers and a bronze.

Evgeni Plushenko. 2000 to 2006, won 30 out of 35, with 4 silvers and one 4th place.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do we have t stick to just these two? Patrick Chan from 2011 to 2014 went 12 for 17, with 4 silvers and a bronze.

Evgeni Plushenko. 2000 to 2006, won 30 out of 35, with 4 silvers and one 4th place.

This is true, the list of dominant skaters, both those who reigned for a brief but shining hour and those who spent years at the top, is a glorious one...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plus he doesn’t need your sympathy, nor does Yuzu and Shoma. Whatever happened just makes Nathan, Yuzu and Shoma stronger.

That's a remarkably insensitive thing to say. There is a difference between sympathy and pity (you do know that?) and fans of any sport/media/anything star feel the former for them when they hit trouble and pain as they celebrate success and happiness. Any human being who rejects or feels that they are above genuine human sympathy and empathy... well, I wouldn't have much respect for them.

alexaa

Final Flight
That's a remarkably insensitive thing to say. There is a difference between sympathy and pity (you do know that?) and fans of any sport/media/anything star feel the former for them when they hit trouble and pain as they celebrate success and happiness. Any human being who rejects or feels that they are above genuine human sympathy and empathy... well, I wouldn't have much respect for them.

Well, quote your own words, you don’t have sympathy for him, then why does he need it? Who is insensitive first?
You don't get sympathy points for your own considered and rational decisions in life.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I suppose Nathan right now but in his heydays (lol) Hanyu. Still you never know with Hanyu he too is quite the competitor. He wants the 4Axel. I do wonder if his body will hold up for another OGM and as one poster pointed out as good as Hanyu is and competitive he might be pushing his luck for another OGM He was kind of lucky to beat Chan and 2018 wasn nt exactly a sure thing. Nathan may be dominating now it would appear in his results but his skating is not the memorable or quality of others. Give him time and who knows.

Beckaboomer

Final Flight
I guess the answer to the thread title depends on how you would define a "dominant skater." I would say, in terms of current results and momentum, that Nathan is more dominant. However, in terms of overall impact to the sport and "career" dominance Yuzuru would be first pick and it's not particularly close, in my view.

Again though, this is really going to depend slightly on personal preference. Nathan, so far, has been a fun and enjoyable skater for me to watch and unless he bombs (*sob* Pyeonchang) I never struggle to get through his programs. But he hasn't truly had a magical moment or a real impact on me with his skating like Yuzu has. That's just me, and there are plenty of Nathan fans who feel the complete opposite I'm sure!

pianistliz

On the Ice
I guess the answer to the thread title depends on how you would define a "dominant skater." I would say, in terms of current results and momentum, that Nathan is more dominant. However, in terms of overall impact to the sport and "career" dominance Yuzuru would be first pick and it's not particularly close, in my view.

Again though, this is really going to depend slightly on personal preference. Nathan, so far, has been a fun and enjoyable skater for me to watch and unless he bombs (*sob* Pyeonchang) I never struggle to get through his programs. But he hasn't truly had a magical moment or a real impact on me with his skating like Yuzu has. That's just me, and there are plenty of Nathan fans who feel the complete opposite I'm sure!

My thoughts exactly!

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Is either truly dominant? Maybe, Nathan is right now, but career-wise, nobody comes close to what Yuzuru has done over time. Nathan has the TES advantage, Yuzuru, the PCS advantage. It all depends upon who does what in each competition going forward, doesn't it? I cannot pick a favorite between them.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here we go again ;-;

What? Seriously?

How many of these threads do we need?

More than enough....

Honestly. Wasn’t the last one enough??

Someone wants to discuss two skaters and created a thread for it. Don't open the thread if you don't want to read it. Easy.

Not everyone who reads the forum today was even present for previous questions about Nathan and Yuzuru. Of all those who were participating in the forum during previous threads, not everyone had the opportunity or time to read all the threads. Or maybe they weren't so interested in the question before, but are interested now.

I don't get why some people want to stifle a subject that someone else would like to have fun with, or make a serious comparison.

Bcash

Final Flight
Currently, Chen. The reasons Hanyu couldn't beat him at Worlds last year were 1. stamina and 2. consistency. Chen is simply younger, which gives him the edge.

Over-all in the history of skating, that remains to be seen. Hanyu has been a senior for a whopping 10 seasons while this is only Chen's 4th season.

As for the definition of a "better competitor", I have to say "bringing it when it counts". Hanyu has this in spades, I'd even go as far as to say it's his best quality as an athlete. But as said, Chen has many years to catch up.

Who is better, on the other hand, is personal taste. I'm pretty sure that's what this thread will degenerate into.

“Bring it when it counts” or “Bring it just a bit more when your competitors falters”..?

His two Olympic performances were far from historic, or..even..excellent. I still remember how abysmal the last groups of Sochi men’s FS were.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
His two Olympic performances were far from historic, or..even..excellent. I still remember how abysmal the last groups of Sochi men’s FS were.

He has - including galas - skated seven times at the Olympics. One was definitely faulty, one wounded but still magnificent, the rest both brilliant and iconic (as was the wounded one with its 6 million youtube views). The proof is on the Olympic Channel. Chen has performed three times, once brilliantly, the other twice... let's be fair, what's abysmal sauce for the goose is twice so for the other goose.

Yuzuru is also IMO being damned at the minute in some quarters by a heftily sour dose of tall poppy syndrome, which Patrick also got and which Nathan Chen probably will in his time. But the simple fact? They are both brilliant, the best our sport has to offer, and dearly loved by their fans. That Chen is a great champion but - in his own country - an undervalued and relatively minor sports star and Hanyu is right on track in his to be a national living treasure is just the way the geographic, historic and charismatic/imaginative cookies crumble (I'll happily admit, adore him as a skater as I do, the almost unbelievable social and emotional impact Yuzu has is just as fascinating in its way, someone needs to do a PhD on it and they will, they will)

I recall that in the green room at PC, as Chen had to collect himself and leave, Yuzuru is said to have told him "your time will come." And yes, it's now, and maybe it will last till 2022 and maybe it won't (this time in the Sochi quad, Patrick's time was believed to be right on track for Sochi). We don't know.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have stayed away from this thread. It is repetitive, and while I appreciate both skaters, neither are my absolute fave.

But bringing it when it counts is winning when it counts. It doesn’t matter if it’s the world’s most atrocious splatfest or the most brilliantly skated comp ever. As the fan of any pro sports team will tell you, winning ugly beats losing pretty.

And Olympic golds are the wins that fans remember most.

Who dominates now I think is an open question, until they skate head to head this season. But for all time impact, two Oly golds are difficult to beat. No matter how you get them. :)

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
He has - including galas - skated seven times at the Olympics. One was definitely faulty, one wounded but still magnificent, the rest both brilliant and iconic (as was the wounded one with its 6 million youtube views). The proof is on the Olympic Channel. Chen has performed three times, once brilliantly, the other twice... let's be fair, what's abysmal sauce for the goose is twice so for the other goose.

Yuzuru is also IMO being damned at the minute in some quarters by a heftily sour dose of tall poppy syndrome, which Patrick also got and which Nathan Chen probably will in his time. But the simple fact? They are both brilliant, the best our sport has to offer, and dearly loved by their fans. That Chen is a great champion but - in his own country - an undervalued and relatively minor sports star and Hanyu is right on track in his to be a national living treasure is just the way the geographic, historic and charismatic/imaginative cookies crumble (I'll happily admit, adore him as a skater as I do, the almost unbelievable social and emotional impact Yuzu has is just as fascinating in its way, someone needs to do a PhD on it and they will, they will)

I recall that in the green room at PC, as Chen had to collect himself and leave, Yuzuru is said to have told him "your time will come." And yes, it's now, and maybe it will last till 2022 and maybe it won't (this time in the Sochi quad, Patrick's time was believed to be right on track for Sochi). We don't know.

Some of this comes across as condescending, and not particularly relevant to who is a dominant skater.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Some of this comes across as condescending, and not particularly relevant to who is a dominant skater.

Not at all condescending. And relevance will be in the eye of history.

PS - just after writing this, it occurred to me (and made me laugh) that to the majority of average Western sports fans and the {ahem} all important 18-25 male demographic, Nathan Chen would simply be "smartarse college nerd with fancy jumps". And Yuzuru Hanyu would be "smartarse college nerd with fancy jumps... and weird getups."

And yet we love them so much....

Bcash

Final Flight

Hanyu did put on two brilliant short programs at the Olympics. But we all know it’s a triumphant FS skate that weighs the most. I think we need to have a bit perspective here. While having two consecutive Olympic gold medals is a historic achievement, the manner in which they were won also matters quite a lot in discussions like this.

pianistliz

On the Ice
Hanyu did put on two brilliant short programs at the Olympics. But we all know it’s a triumphant FS skate that weighs the most. I think we need to have a bit perspective here. While having two consecutive Olympic gold medals is a historic achievement, the manner in which they were won also matters quite a lot in discussions like this.

Personally I feel that his underwhelming FS in 2014 was balanced out by his heroic FS in 2018. Was it 100% perfect? No. But was it not only miraculous (considering injury/lack of prep time) but also a great performance, beating other respectable contenders who tried their best and weren't majorly injured? Yes. That was one of the first times I ever saw him skate, and it left such an impression on me, a casual fan, that 1 year later, I'm a hard-core geek following the sport year-round on GS.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Lmao at this revisionist attempt at history. Ppl can't find enough argument to dismiss two Olympic golds, so they have to find a new argument that it's more important that you skate two flawless performances to win the Gold and outskate your competitors by a few miles.

A gold is a gold is a gold. You bring it enough to get you the gold.