Who is a more dominant skater: Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who is a more dominant skater: Yuzuru Hanyu or Nathan Chen?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just to throw this in: Ted's pick is Hanyu. Per practice commentary at Skate Canada. I wouldn't dare try to pick.

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
Someone wants to discuss two skaters and created a thread for it. Don't open the thread if you don't want to read it. Easy.

Not everyone who reads the forum today was even present for previous questions about Nathan and Yuzuru. Of all those who were participating in the forum during previous threads, not everyone had the opportunity or time to read all the threads. Or maybe they weren't so interested in the question before, but are interested now.

I don't get why some people want to stifle a subject that someone else would like to have fun with, or make a serious comparison.

It's not about stifling discussion, it's about being annoyed at troll threads. Fortunately (and surprisingly) this turned out to be a productive thread instead. Most of the time, that's not the case though.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Well, Hanyu has been dominant longer, so I guess he wins this question.

But picking between Hanyu and Chen is like picking between "Starry Night" and the "Mona Lisa." They are very different but amazing and one-of-a-kind in their own ways.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not about stifling discussion, it's about being annoyed at troll threads. Fortunately (and surprisingly) this turned out to be a productive thread instead. Most of the time, that's not the case though.

I guess that's where we differ. The way I read the OP, it didn't sound like a troll thread to me. But I'm with you in being happy that it didn't turn out to be. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Hanyu has been dominant longer, so I guess he wins this question.

But picking between Hanyu and Chen is like picking between "Starry Night" and the "Mona Lisa." They are very different but amazing and one-of-a-kind in their own ways.

This is an excellent comment! It's exactly the way I think of figure skating ... that there are so many styles to enjoy, and we don't really have to stick with just one favorite style or one set of talents. Competition is competition, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Oshun

Rinkside
This is my first. As long as you keep adding new members might be the answer. Or you could say to new fans, "We already discussed this."

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't know what you mean by dominant, but Yuzuru has the most Winnie the Pooh stuffed toy collection LOL:biggrin:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Oh my! There seem to be a topic like this or similar to this every season? Well, imo based on the how long a skater has been dominant, I'd say Yuzuru who is still able to perform at a very high level and earn 300+ score.

BUT! I do agree with the comment above that both Yuzuru and Nathan are different skaters. Also both are strong competitors.:cool:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is my first. As long as you keep adding new members might be the answer. Or you could say to new fans, "We already discussed this."

That would be more polite than comments like "again?" and the like.

But new members have a right to see things discussed, and to give their own opinions. no matter if others have talked about it before. Old members tired of the topic can just skip right over it without making rude comments. In my opinion, of course.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Now Nathan is 5 and Yuzu is 4 in 9 H2H competitions. Nathan has won the last 2 competitions and the last 5 programs in a row.

The recent wins to Nathan seem due to Yuzu underperforming when facing Nathan and Nathan overperforming when facing Yuzu. If both clean, it's hard to tell who will win. One thing that remains is whoever wins the SP wins the competition.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Now Nathan is 5 and Yuzu is 4 in 9 H2H competitions. Nathan has won the last 2 competitions and the last 5 programs in a row.

The recent wins to Nathan seem due to Yuzu underperforming when facing Nathan and Nathan overperforming when facing Yuzu.

What's "overperforming?"

discode

Final Flight
I do think Nathan skates better when he's against Yuzu while Yuzu seems to do worse against Nathan than he does with other skaters lately, so I get their point. That being said, Nathan knows when he needs to up his game and before that time you aren't going to see his best or even close to it. It's just a smart way to compete.

Right now it's pretty obvious Nathan is more dominate. At the end of his FS I felt he still could do more and he's still not doing his most difficult combos yet. Curious about how he is after a month long break with Raf. GPF was about 10 days supposedly. His stamina and how consistent he is is pretty insane.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Right now it’s Chen. He seems to budget his technical ability to win his GPs and when he needs to pull out all the stops to win he can do that too.

While people invariably bring up the injury argument, many seem to forget that they’ve both had their share. All I know is, both were healthy at this GPF, and Nathan dominated Hanyu and the rest of the competition, just like at Worlds.

Sure Hanyu’s GP scores were higher but Nathan wasn’t in full force (neither was Hanyu mind you with the 4Z) and he clearly got it together at the GPF and won by almost 44 points. Has there ever been such a margin of victory at a GPF/Worlds/Olympics?

Over his career Hanyu has been very dominant, and is always a podium contender, but time will tell if Chen maintains his currently level of dominance. He’s still won his last 10 full competitions and right now I don’t see him slowing down.

Both are superb skaters though and dominant in their own ways but if I were a betting man, right now I’d put my money on Chen. It seems whenever they face each other since the Olympics Chen is able to win out.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
first it was chan... then a mixture of yuzuru and javier.... but with the edge to yuzuru... now it's definitely nathan... all these skaters have had their moments and will open the door to the new star... we can feel lucky, those of us who enjoy men skating to have a cycle with some sort of natural (just long enough flow)... ice dance can seem forever with the ones at the top... while ladies is never long enough nowadays...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Honestly.. I feel like I have answered this question before.

Hanyu. No doubt, no question.

Chen may become incredibly dominant. He is not there yet.

Last edited:

icetug

Medalist
Has there ever been such a margin of victory at a GPF/Worlds/Olympics?

Yes, in 2018 Nathan won Worlds by 47,63 points over Shoma :)
Having in mind the system score change after that it was more powerful victory than the recent ;) (Nathan could have got even higher scores then).

It seems whenever they face each other since the Olympics Chen is able to win out.

What happened twice till now. I'd say: the third time is the charm :dev3:.

elapet

Spectator
This is like asking who is greater: Federer or Nadal?
However much Nadal or even Djocovic surpass Federer's records and achievements, Federer is the GOAT...Just as Yuzuru is the GOAT of Figure Skating..Nobody evokes as much passion, emotion and awe than Yuzuru Hanyu.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Chen’s got quite the winning streak going - having won his past 10 competitions (likely 11 after US Nationals), which is pretty rare for a singles skater, especially in the IJS era.