Need help choosing skates | Golden Skate

Need help choosing skates

Hi! Need help choosing new skates for my son. My son is 5 years old and is at Basic 6 level. We were fitted for a Jackson Ultima 455 in the summer, and he has now outgrown it. We went to get him new skates today but the store doesn’t carry his new size 12-13 (“not many boys” and all that), and they’d have to order.

What do I do next? Stick with this particular skate? Or can I switch? Is used ok or do they have to be new? Alternatively, any other brands/skates to consider? He skates 2-3 times a week these days. Any insight appreciated!

Last edited:

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I know skates cost a lot of money, especially when your kid is growing, but finding good used skates can be very hard. For example, Play It Again Sports has used skates, but these are almost always broken down or too low of a level to be worth bothering with. If you see any creasing in the ankle, they're broken down. Probably your best bet for used skates would be to join a Facebook group that specializes in used skates - there are lots of them around.

If you go for new skates, make an appointment with John at Rainbo Sports! I don't know if you've been there before, but he is wonderful, knowledgeable, and honest - he'll never try to up-sell you. He'd be able to assess if your son needs a stiffer pair of skates or if he can stay with his current model.

Good luck! :)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Some rinks, coaches or moms keep "skating closets" with used skates available for re-sale. Ask your son's coach or others at your rink.

If the Jackson's fit your son well, I think you should just have the store order them for you. Check if they can be exchanged if they don't fit when he tries them on.
Reidell is also a good choice for children his age but he would still need to try on a pair to make sure they'll fit.

Barista, thank you for the quick response! We were actually at Rainbo today and they didn’t have his size on hand. Also, they did a poor job sharpening the skates last time and Play It Again had to re-sharpen. I guess u can ask them to order his size and have it sharpened somewhere else. Thanks again Barista! Maybe we will meet you sometime? We are usually at RC on Thursday mornings around 11 for public skate.

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Barista, thank you for the quick response! We were actually at Rainbo today and they didn’t have his size on hand. Also, they did a poor job sharpening the skates last time and Play It Again had to re-sharpen. I guess u can ask them to order his size and have it sharpened somewhere else. Thanks again Barista! Maybe we will meet you sometime? We are usually at RC on Thursday mornings around 11 for public skate.

Did John sharpen them, or was it one of his assistants? I always make sure it's John who does it, as the assistants are hit or miss with sharpening. Be careful at Play It Again - some of their younger employees have been known to ruin figure skating blades by sharpening them like hockey skates.

As for Facebook, one group that I like a lot is "Used Figure Skating Dresses, Ice Skates, Training and Competition Dresses." Some others include "Figure Skating Resale- U.S. Only" and "Figure Skating Resale New & Used in the US." Yes, you're going to see a lot of skating dresses, but there's also people who post boys' costumes and practice wear, and skates for boys. You can also make a post in search of boys' skates. :)

I've seen you guys from afar but I'll be sure to say hi next time! :)

Awesome thank you so much! I bet I’ve seen you too, then :) we just started taking private lessons with Mike and the progress has been amazing. Jola says she wants my son to try for Fritz next year:) this year he will be a toy soldier, which he is very excited about :) thanks again for all the wonderful input!

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Awesome thank you so much! I bet I’ve seen you too, then :) we just started taking private lessons with Mike and the progress has been amazing. Jola says she wants my son to try for Fritz next year:) this year he will be a toy soldier, which he is very excited about :) thanks again for all the wonderful input!

Oh, I'm so happy to hear that! Mike really is a wonderful coach and works hard to build a great rapport with his students. And wow, that would be very exciting! I bet he's going to love being in the Nutcracker :)

It wasn’t John, it was a female assistant. Good to know about Play it again. Is there another place we should be going to sharpening?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I sympathize - I have a boy and that was always the problem - not enough boys, so they don't bother to stock. And unfortunately, kids don't always give warning when they are about to have a growth spurt. Lack of supply is still a problem, even though he's now in some high level skates).

I had a cache of boys skates that I recently donated, so do ask around your rink (and especially ask the mom's of other boys at the rink who are older).
I am still looking for the right little boy to come around so I can give them the worn-for-eight-hours pair of Edea Ouvertures...

There are only 2 other boys here that I know of personally :( I’m sure there are others lurking :) where do you donate the skates? I’ll be happy to maybe set something up where I buy your skates, when it gets to that point. Right now he’s 5 years old and in Basic 6, but as he gets older if he wants to keep doing this it would be nice to have a pipeline :)