How to calm yourself before competing | Golden Skate

How to calm yourself before competing

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Hi skaters/skating fans,
I've recently had a competition and I've got another one coming up in about a week
I grew up as a dancer, 10 years of intense training and competitions, I started at the age of 3 and quit at 13
During that time of doing constant shows and competitions, I was so used to performing in front of people that I never got nervous
I am also an actor and have been since the age of 5, so I am constantly doing shows and performances
But for some reason, with figure skating I always get nervous before competing
I don't really know why... skating is my favourite out of all the stuff I do but for some reason whenever it comes to competing I get so nervous and don't skate my best
Something that sounds weird but really helps me is my plushy cat tissue box cover [emoji28] it's pink and I named it Trusova (named after Alexandra Trusova of course) and I always hug that before competing to calm my nerves
If any of you have any strategies you use to stay calm before competing, please let me know as I would really like to overcome my weird fear
Thank you!!
Kirsty

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
This thread belongs in the Lutz Corner - is there a mod around?

I wish I had any tips to share, but I get incredibly nervous myself...

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think that the fact of performing in something other than shoes, plus (at times) unknown ice conditions causes extra anxiety. If you can get some practice ice to get the feel of the ice you'll be competing on, I think that helps a lot.

I also like to dwell on how much I've practiced / rehearsed, I am well-prepared, and I owe it to myself to skate the program I know I can. Does this always work - no. But it sure has helped a lot! I don't get nearly as nervous as I once did.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Routine of how you do everything getting ready, visualization and BREATHE!!!!!

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
I think that the fact of performing in something other than shoes, plus (at times) unknown ice conditions causes extra anxiety. If you can get some practice ice to get the feel of the ice you'll be competing on, I think that helps a lot.

I also like to dwell on how much I've practiced / rehearsed, I am well-prepared, and I owe it to myself to skate the program I know I can. Does this always work - no. But it sure has helped a lot! I don't get nearly as nervous as I once did.
Okay, thanks for the advice!

Nimyue

On the Ice
No advice here, just lurking for some. No matter how much I try to calm myself, the adrenaline shakes suck. Especially since I need to relax and bend my knees -_-

mskater93

Record Breaker
You can have a key for each piece of the program. Focus from key to key. When practiced correctly, it can keep the other thoughts at bay

VegMom

On the Ice
Advice I have heard or read:
- practice practice practice so that your program is just instinct, you hear the music and go! There's no thinking involved
- ways to practice: run your program to music (obv) as much as possible, but also run program off ice to music, visualize doing your program well, run half your program break then run the other half, run your program without jumps, run your program without spins, etc
- run your program then circle ice a few times to keep heart rate up and build endurance, helps mimic loss of energy that results from just nerves
- do competition simulations where you get on the ice for 5-6 min to warm up, get off and wait on the bench for 5-10 minutes while others skate, get back on and run your program
- practice in your costume
- have a pre-competition routine (off ice warm up and self pep talk etc) that you can practice
- every time you skate have some affirmation mantras you tell yourself, use those mantras during competition
- avoid the other competitors' anxiety as much as possible (eg do your off ice warm up away from the noise, use head phones if that helps you, etc)
- stay warm before competing
- you can try meditation or deep breathing also

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Advice I have heard or read:

- do competition simulations where you get on the ice for 5-6 min to warm up, get off and wait on the bench for 5-10 minutes while others skate, get back on and run your program

This is particularly good advice for both competition and testing. And especially so as you get older since muscles seem to cool down faster and come back to warm-up slower.

For competition simulations, you can warm up for your allotted warm up time, get off the ice, and then pretend you are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. skater.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I see lots of advice here that I’m going to encourage my skaters to try!

That said, they both have anxiety. Not just the stage fright kind but OCD and depression as well as sometimes severe panic attacks clinical level kind. So I have a ton of different “grounding” techniques and such. So many that it’s hard to really pick one to share here. I recommend searching the internet for “how to deal with panic attacks and anxiety”.

There’s a ton of different sites and strategies out there. Maybe pick a non skate specific one for yourself to try. And good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I see lots of advice here that I’m going to encourage my skaters to try!

That said, they both have anxiety. Not just the stage fright kind but OCD and depression as well as sometimes severe panic attacks clinical level kind. So I have a ton of different “grounding” techniques and such. So many that it’s hard to really pick one to share here. I recommend searching the internet for “how to deal with panic attacks and anxiety”.

There’s a ton of different sites and strategies out there. Maybe pick a non skate specific one for yourself to try. And good luck!

In your skaters case I’d look into a Sports Psychologist.

I can't offer any help, but I feel your pain vicariously.

Just watching on TV, when my favorite skater was competing I got so nervous that I had to hide around the corner and peak out whenever I heard the crowd cheer. (That meant she did something good. :laugh: )

Sunshine247

On the Ice
In your skaters case I’d look into a Sports Psychologist.

Thank you, they do get some professional help. They are now in CBT, or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I looked into a local therapy group that tackles teen/sport issues in their own environment but my skaters weren’t as open to it. But they’ve managed fairly well so far. I find even their coaches have good strategies they’ve implemented organically.

There are so many of my own situations I’ve handled better just learning from their issues so I encourage everyone to look into some “grounding” strategies! And to never feel embarrassed to have a discussion. You’d be surprised how many people struggle. And how many different coping skills there are. There are even online “courses” and therapist!

Not that the OP would necessarily require it, but for anyone else reading who feels overwhelmed.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you, they do get some professional help. They are now in CBT, or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I looked into a local therapy group that tackles teen/sport issues in their own environment but my skaters weren’t as open to it. But they’ve managed fairly well so far. I find even their coaches have good strategies they’ve implemented organically.

There are so many of my own situations I’ve handled better just learning from their issues so I encourage everyone to look into some “grounding” strategies! And to never feel embarrassed to have a discussion. You’d be surprised how many people struggle. And how many different coping skills there are. There are even online “courses” and therapist!

Not that the OP would necessarily require it, but for anyone else reading who feels overwhelmed.

It's great that they are in CBT and all and it's helping them, but if they continue in the sport up the ranks you need to look into a Sports Psychologist. CBT will only take them so far, now one can help in addition to a SPsy but they don't have the specific skills needed to help an athlete at higher stages of the sport. I know from experience.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
It's great that they are in CBT and all and it's helping them, but if they continue in the sport up the ranks you need to look into a Sports Psychologist. CBT will only take them so far, now one can help in addition to a SPsy but they don't have the specific skills needed to help an athlete at higher stages of the sport. I know from experience.
That’s good to know. I did try to get a more sports oriented therapist for them but they weren’t too receptive yet. I’ll definitely keep trying to lead them towards sports specific counseling. It’s going to get tougher in the future, even if they’re not headed to the olympics. Getting the help they need is as important as the boots and blades.