Vincent Zhou Withdraws from 2019 Grand Prix Series | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou Withdraws from 2019 Grand Prix Series

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Oct. 22, 2019) - Vincent Zhou has withdrawn from both Cup of China and Rostelecom Cup, U.S. Figure Skating announced today.

“It’s really difficult to balance classes and training at the same time,” said Zhou, who is in the middle of his freshman year at Brown University. “I want to perform at the highest level on the ice and in the classroom, and I have not been able to dedicate the necessary time to my skating with my rigorous class schedule. Unfortunately, the timing of my midterms has fallen right in the middle of an important training period for me this fall. This was a tough decision because I love to perform in front of the fans, but this is the best decision for me right now.”

Cup of China is set for Nov. 8-10 in Chongqing, China, while Rostelecom Cup will take place in Moscow, Nov. 15-17.

Zhou earned the bronze medal at the 2019 World Figure Skating Championships, and was a member of the 2018 U.S. Olympic Figure Skating Team.

Last edited by a moderator:

oly2018

Final Flight
I wonder if Vincent withdrew because of injuries or because of his school schedule.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Vincent had a real chance of making GPF, so this does open up a power vacuum now. Wonder if it's just school or old injuries acting up.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hasn’t Vincent been injured like the past 2 years? He should really take a rest

Vincent won the bronze medal at the World Championships last year. I really don't know what you are referring to?:scratch2:

oly2018

Final Flight
Vincent won the bronze medal at the World Championships last year. I really don't know what you are referring to?:scratch2:

I am pretty sure he has a nagging back injury. I remember him being injured during the grand prix last year. He has been injured on and off for the last few years.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh no! Both events does point to an injury. I hope whatever it is, it's not too serious, and the withdrawals are just precautionary.

discode

Final Flight
Vincent has constant injury I'm sure is what skatergurl7 is referring to. He even injured himself over the summer (tripping on something? don't quote me) and Nathan had to step in for him at SOI. He was on crutches and everything. And you always hear about random back, knee, or shoulder injuries or him dislocating something. Nothing he doesn't heal pretty quickly from, but always something nagging him.

ETA: Okay midterms...well okay. That's unexpected.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Withdrawing from both sounds like injury to me. That really sucks. If it is an injury I hope withdrawing is just playing it safe.

EDIT: Just saw its due to school. I hope he can fins the balance he was looking for.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, better withdrawals due to school (though not good for his fans) than due to injury. I just hope he manages to find a similar balance as Nathan has.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I don’t get why Vincent is always trying to copy Nathan, not everyone can study at an Ivy and compete at an Olympic level. And Vincent needs a lot of technical help at the moment

alexaa

Final Flight
Well, better withdrawals due to school (though not good for his fans) than due to injury. I just hope he manages to find a similar balance as Nathan has.

He is only doing one semester, so hopefully he would be able to focus on skating after finals in December, and get ready for nationals and 4CC.

It is really really hard for Nathan too, he struggled balancing the two last year. He suffered sleep deprivation, and had to find time to practice. What is worse, he hadn’t really figured out training without Raf around, which he admitted in one of the interviews this year. He had low expectations going to SkAm last year, which might help him in the long run since he had to lower his tech layout and then focus more on other factors of skating.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Just found an old interview in which Vincent says that he has to commute one hour from university to his rink, as he is not able to train at the rink at his university due to hockey teams having ice priority. No wonder he has trouble balancing training and university, if he spends two hours a day driving to and from the training rink. That's a long time that could be spend on studying, free time etc.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/02/vincent-zhou-brown/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Wishing him all the best! School is important! Hope Vincent can come back strong after his first semester and can focus on training after that like he planned to.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Withdrawing from both sounds like injury to me. That really sucks. If it is an injury I hope withdrawing is just playing it safe.

EDIT: Just saw its due to school. I hope he can fins the balance he was looking for.

It's also possible that school was the primary reason for the withdrawal, but injuries also contributed to that decision. If you're recovering from an ailment, you are probably ramping up your training and form, and that takes more effort than training in your peak condition. As long as he's in good form at Nationals, he'll make the World team with no problem.

alexaa

Final Flight
Just found an old interview in which Vincent says that he has to commute one hour from university to his rink, as he is not able to train at the rink at his university due to hockey teams having ice priority. No wonder he has trouble balancing training and university, if he spends two hours a day driving to and from the training rink. That's a long time that could be spend on studying, free time etc.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/02/vincent-zhou-brown/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Wishing him all the best! School is important! Hope Vincent can come back strong after his first semester and can focus on training after that like he planned to.

That is news from July. There is an article from USFS in August mentioning he would use the Brown Ice Rink. He would also goes to MJM rink to have coaches there to look after him, which is wise strategy to me in terms of avoiding injuries. There was once a picture Ross Miner and Hamada with him in September.

Both Karen and Nathan have to find rinks off campus which take them some time to drive. It is really really hard for these kids to balance school and skating.

And this tweet has pictures of him with Hamada at Brown rink. You can find lots of pictures and tweets from that account.

https://twitter.com/VincentZhou1025/status/1167968161439744003?s=20

Here is the tweet in mid September when he was with Ross Miner and Hamada at Worcester rink
https://twitter.com/VincentZhou1025/status/1173423013020090368?s=20
Training with Hamada that day.
https://twitter.com/VincentZhou1025/status/1173423091986223105?s=20

Oh, just remember, it is going to be Vincent’s birthday in a few days. He is turning 19 on the 25th.

ETA: article from USFS fan zone from August 9th, talking about rink at Brown

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...orizons-vincent-zhou-in-skating-magazine.aspx