Vincent Zhou Withdraws from 2019 Grand Prix Series | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou Withdraws from 2019 Grand Prix Series

oly2018

Final Flight
This announcement feels odd. I don't know why, but it seems strange. I wonder when Vincent and his team realized this arrangement was not going to work.

readernick

Medalist
I donā€™t get why Vincent is always trying to copy Nathan, not everyone can study at an Ivy and compete at an Olympic level. And Vincent needs a lot of technical help at the moment

Can I ask you to please think before you post? A lot of your post have such a negative vibe.I don't think Vincent is copying Nathan. He wants to get an education. It is very hard to do it while skating. But, it is smart to think about your future.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Can I ask you to please think before you post? A lot of your post have such a negative vibe.I don't think Vincent is copying Nathan. He wants to get an education. It is very hard to do it while skating. But, it is smart to think about your future.

Of course but heā€™s been copying and chasing Nathan for years, is always talking about competing with Nathan etc. Itā€™s painfully obvious..

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It seems this is something he would have known long ago.

Than again, being third at worlds did not give him much choice of what GP. Still wish this could have been announced sooner.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course but heā€™s been copying and chasing Nathan for years, is always talking about competing with Nathan etc. Itā€™s painfully obvious..

Vincent is his own person and his own skater. It is painfully obvious to me that makes his own decisions, based on what is right for Vincent. Can you point to any evidence (articles, quoutes) that he is making decisions based on something else?

He is ā€œchasingā€ Nathan as are all the US men, because they all would like to be US champion. :shrug:

He made the decision to go to college, as, I would suspect, thousands of Americans his age did. None of them are copying each other:laugh:

Jumping off, I am pleased that Vincent is prioritizing his education at least for a semester. He always did seem to me like a mature young man.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just found an old interview in which Vincent says that he has to commute one hour from university to his rink, as he is not able to train at the rink at his university due to hockey teams having ice priority. No wonder he has trouble balancing training and university, if he spends two hours a day driving to and from the training rink. That's a long time that could be spend on studying, free time etc.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/02/vincent-zhou-brown/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Wishing him all the best! School is important! Hope Vincent can come back strong after his first semester and can focus on training after that like he planned to.

I am glad it was his decision. I didn't even realize Brown U had a hockey team lol!

century2009

On the Ice
To be fair, everyone is chasing Nathan. Even Hanyu is trying to go after him by doing quads he would not do. He didnt even bother to have new programs so he can chase Nathan.

I think the point is that Vincent since he 1st debut, tired so much quads (when he doesnt need to) to go after Nathan but couldn't have the ability to do it. I do think he has been chasing him.

But in this case, I think he really cant manage both.

oly2018

Final Flight
To be fair, everyone is chasing Nathan. Even Hanyu is trying to go after him by doing quads he would not do. He didnt even bother to have new programs so he can chase Nathan.

I think the point is that Vincent since he 1st debut, tired so much quads (when he doesnt need to) to go after Nathan but couldn't have the ability to do it. I do think he has been chasing him.

But in this case, I think he really cant manage both.

But that's what is so odd to me. Vincent is not in the same position as Yuzu. Nathan has found his groove, but he struggled early in the season last year. He eventually found balance and it sounds like his schedule is ever-evolving. Vincent should be able to go out there and execute a program of primarily triples. I just think it's strange that this scheduling wasn't worked out earlier. Cup of China is only two weeks away and he is only pulling out now. It is interesting that there is no mention of nationals in the press release or his instagram post. It's a fairly vague see you later.

Tahuu

On the Ice
The preparation for and doing the back to back CoC and RC may require Vincent to miss too many classes.

Vincent certainly had the general idea of what it might entail to balance school and skating. But you have to actually do it to know exactly what it takes. He had said before that his SAT would have expired after the Olympics and he don't want to retake the SAT and reapply to universities. Going to Brown for a semester is like taking a reservation to keep his spot because Brown has an open-end leave policy that allows him to take a leave for as long as he needs.

I wonder how Nathan could take two years off for the Olympics as Yale's leave has a 2-semester limit. He probably will have to withdraw and then apply for reinstatement after the games.

1111bm

Final Flight
ETA: Okay midterms...well okay. That's unexpected.

Not for me, it was actually my first thought when I read that he withdrew. Especially after seeing his first outings this season, I felt that it was very unlikely he would be able to reach a more 'acceptable' form in time for the GP, given his current training situation with school and no on site coach. He might also feel that it's not only best for his grades, but also his reputation scoring-wise to not risk having subpar (for his standards) outings at the GP, which would likely take a hit after he built it up with his success at Worlds, so he's just been calculating what his best options are.

He had said before that his SAT would have expired after the Olympics and he don't want to retake the SAT and reapply to universities. Going to Brown for a semester is like taking a reservation to keep his spot because Brown has an open-end leave policy that allows him to take a leave for as long as he needs.

This is interesting, I was aware of the last part, but I never knew the reason why there was a need to reserve a spot now, and why he wouldn't just apply for college after the next olympics, instead of having all the hassle with squeezing in a semester at Brown now, when it's clearly nothing longterm for the time being.

Mamamiia

Medalist
Not for me, it was actually my first thought when I read that he withdrew. Especially after seeing his first outings this season, I felt that it was very unlikely he would be able to reach a more 'acceptable' form in time for the GP, given his current training situation with school and no on site coach. He might also feel that it's not only best for his grades, but also his reputation scoring-wise to not risk having subpar (for his standards) outings at the GP, which would likely take a hit after he built it up with his success at Worlds, so he's just been calculating what his best options are.

This is interesting, I was aware of the last part, but I never knew the reason why there was a need to reserve a spot now, and why he wouldn't just apply for college after the next olympics, instead of having all the hassle with squeezing in a semester at Brown now, when it's clearly nothing longterm for the time being.

This reminds me that Nathan also did terribly in his first competition at JO last year but still went forward with SA with lower expectation.

evasorange

Final Flight
This announcement feels odd. I don't know why, but it seems strange. I wonder when Vincent and his team realized this arrangement was not going to work.

I agree. I donā€™t think Vincent is lying, Iā€™m
Sure itā€™s very hard to balance being a world class athlete and full time student but I also would not be surprised in the slightest if there was something else that contributed to the decision. Heā€™s always seemed so dedicated and one track mind when it came to skating

Wow, that's a shocker. I guess Vincent knows his own priorities best. Good luck to him in his fall studies, and we'll see you at Nationals. :yes:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At first I thought it was injury, but Iā€™m relieved it was school:drama:

Iā€™m impressed that with a conflict between the GPF and college, at least this year, college won.:)

le01

Rinkside
Even though I have 2 uni degrees Iā€™m not familiar with US education system, why is there such a rush to start studying at younger age not wait till mid twenties?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Even though I have 2 uni degrees Iā€™m not familiar with US education system, why is there such a rush to start studying at younger age not wait till mid twenties?

I'm not American, but given our own system I think I can guess (I work in a smallish university). Given the economic climate worldwide and the sheer toughness of the job market, waiting to complete the degree means joining the job hunt later... and that's a risky business. There wouldn't be a lot of room in the US for even the top skaters to find a lucrative career in the sport, and he's not Nathan, let alone a Japanese skater who can make enough from endorsements to live comfortably later (as we were discussing in a different thread, the ones who can set themselves up for life can't quite be counted on the fingers of Captain Hook's bad hand... but it's close).

He's had to make a hard choice - I'm no fan, but I do feel for him in this.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It is customary in the US to begin college immediately after high school graduation, usually at the age of 18 or thereabouts. Although recently ā€œgap yearsā€ have become more common, they are not the norm.

College in the US, particularly the colleges that Vincent, Nathan and Karen Chen attend, are seen as much an opportunity for learning from other highly motivated students as from your professors, it is also, frankly, the time to make social and professional contacts with those peers. You as far more likely to do that if you are in the same cohort as your peers than if you are ten years older. Many colleges enforce a ā€œlive in freshman dormsā€ rule for precisely that reason.

In my own opinion, to receive the full benefit of an Ivy undergrad education, one should in fact live on campus and attend when one is the same age as most other students. Thatā€™s just one galā€™s opinion. :)

Graduate and professional schools less so, and ages are far more varied.

truthbooth

On the Ice
I wonder how Nathan could take two years off for the Olympics as Yale's leave has a 2-semester limit. He probably will have to withdraw and then apply for reinstatement after the games.

I'm sure Yale would make an exception for someone of Nathan's caliber.