holiday gifts | Golden Skate

holiday gifts

iceskating21

On the Ice
I know this topic has been discussed. I read old post, but didn't get my answer. So I open a new thread to ask more specific details.

I used to get something the coach will use for holiday gifts, such as Thermal mug, feet pamper kit, and etc. I have been out of ideas. My coach has a daughter of 4-5 years old whom she sometimes brings to the rink, not often though. We are not very close but do know each other. Is it fine to get a gift for her daughter? It's much easier to find something for a little girl.

Besides, do you give coach a gift at Thanksgiving and then another one at Christmas? Or only one for whole holiday season? If one, which holiday do you give to her?

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't think you have to go overboard for a gift.
My coach likes coffee and a particular cookie. Last year at Christmas, I gave her a Starbucks gift card and a bag of those cookies; she loved it. I'll either do something similar this year or give her a lovely custom candle that I saw at an art fair.

I don't think it's appropriate for you to give the daughter a gift without giving something to the coach.
I'd like to hear what others think about that.
Your past gifts sound very useful!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Yes, this is a problem to always be innovative in the gift ideas.

I personally think that its the thought and intention that counts. I ask my skater to personally write the card and I get one of those photo cards so I can include a picture of my skater. In the past we've gotten skating-themed ornaments/decorations, mittens, tea/coffee, and various mini spa/toiletry type gift sets. I try to tailor it somewhat to the recipient but I don't go overboard with the price. I think its uncomfortable for the coaches to receive very expensive gifts because some people may view it as the parents trying to curry favor with said coach (I heard of one coach receiving expensive VIP sporting tickets worth thousands of dollars and then the family complaining that the coach didn't "prioritize" their skater).

Jetta

Rinkside
I agree that it’s the thought and intent that is the most important. Everyone should decide for themselves the appropriate amount to spend or not to spend.

I only give gifts at Christmas. My skater has three coaches. I give each one a gift card in a specific amount to local stores/restaurants that I know they will use/like. My skater writes a few words and signs the card. I do give her main coach a greater dollar amount than the other two.

I would not give the daughter something separate. I know the main coach’s young son fairly well but have never given him gifts. Never felt it was appropriate.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Oh I love this topic! One cool way to make a bigger impact with your gift is to get together with some other students of your coach, pool your money, and buy something larger for your coach. (Obviously only works if you know that they need/want something specific.) If you don't know your coach well enough to know their interests/needs, cash is often a welcome present, too, and in some ways more personal than a gift card. The rule of thumb that I've heard for cash is that the amount should be equivalent to one lesson (or more).

Babette from the IceDoesn'tCare blog has written some good posts about gifts for coaches: http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/search?q=christmas

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If there is a local business you know the coach is a big fan of, I would get a gift card from there.

I would not buy something separate for her child, I don't think it's appropriate.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
My favourite gifts from students were a new pair of soakers (I still have them, even though they're old and wrecked) and some Breton biscuits in a pretty tin. I still have the tin, too. That tiny girl is still skating, over 20 years after I guided her first Bambi-like steps on the ice, and she progressed to become a really good skater. I'm not usually sentimental at all but... :eek::

Small gifts are the way to go - tea, coffee, gloves, biscuits - unless a group clubs together to buy something they know a coach really wants.

cl2

Final Flight
My coach is an avid reader (of textbooks and academic journals, no less). One Christmas, I gifted him a set of really cute and durable bookmarks, he's still using them to this day!

concorde

Medalist
I usually give our coaches a small token ice skating gift and a bonus check. In terms of token gifts, I am always on the lookout for them. For example one of our coach was into gardening and one year I found planter shaped as a pair of ice skating boots.

As an fyi, I was at TJ Maxx last weekend and found a lotion bottles shaped as ice skating booths. Guess what our token gift will be this year.

iceskating21

On the Ice
All good ideas. I decided to go with Starbucks coffee gift card this year. It should never be wrong.

Here is what I read in another forum. Someones said the gift card should be about the same amount as tuition for one lesson. Is it true?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
All good ideas. I decided to go with Starbucks coffee gift card this year. It should never be wrong.

Here is what I read in another forum. Someones said the gift card should be about the same amount as tuition for one lesson. Is it true?

I don't think there is a rule about how much to give. The equivalent of a lesson - certainly at my rink - would be very generous indeed! When I was coaching (and penniless!), I was delighted and grateful for anything. It's the thought that counts. Some people having enough trouble finding the money to pay for the lessons, never mind giving the equivalent of an extra lesson for nothing. And to be honest, I'd rather those people either just gave good wishes or had that extra lesson.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I honestly think that up to $20 on a gift card is plenty. Less if you are giving the card with another little gift (cookies, lip balms, candle, etc.) to go with it.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I know I weighed in earlier, and I was one of the people saying that the rough rule of thumb is to give the same amount as one lesson, but I'm here with an update of what I'm doing for my coach this year: I'm getting him a gift card to our local skate store! (Equivalent to two lessons because, boy oh boy, he deserves to be spoiled :biggrin:) My coach swears by this particular shop and skate tech (as do I) and is in the market for new boots, so it seems like the perfect present :) Even if your coach isn't about to buy new boots or blades, they can always use the gift card for a sharpening, new laces, new hard guards, etc. Just be sure it's a store that your coach frequents!

VegMom

On the Ice
It all just depends on the relationship and how you normally do gifts.

I have often given a card and cash to my skater's teachers and coaches. They all seem to appreciate it and no one has ever said it was tacky. I just personally think that cash can go the furthest for someone. They can choose how to spend it.

That said, every now and then something comes up that makes me think a certain type of gift would be really suitable so I get that. In those cases it's usually pretty personal. So I kind of go either the super impersonal cash route or I go super personal and get something sentimental.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Is it weird that for Christmas last year I bought one of my coaches a toy telly tubby that says "I got a gun" if you press its stomach, i bought another coach a cookie monster toy, and another coach I bought him a beanie hat and a mini plastic hand

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Is it weird that for Christmas last year I bought one of my coaches a toy telly tubby that says "I got a gun" if you press its stomach, i bought another coach a cookie monster toy, and another coach I bought him a beanie hat and a mini plastic hand
[emoji108]

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
I think all three coaches greatly appreciated the gifts