Movies 2019 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Movies 2019

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I'm finding pleasure watching films and series outside of Hollywood. Partially because I don't want to contribute my dollars to the Hollywood empty leftist snobs, but I also think Hollywood run of ideas and currently have completely NOTHING to offer. It's an arrogant closed clique of full of themselves pretentious new-riches.
lol I watched Charlies' Angels & thought that Im drawn less & less to Hollywood that I ever was. It seems that before making a movie they got a memo sent to them what boxes to check & what themes & characters should a movie feature :laugh: It does seem like those movies are made by the same ppl!:laugh: & the same with critics actually, you just know what they will criticise & what they will praise.:laugh:

To be fair when I look at our tv the tv shows seem to look like they're all the same. Cops & robbers mostly:biggrin:

that made me think of starting watching some old Hollywood movies or generally old movies of different countries actually & broaden my horizons.

I wouldnt say that our russian movies are technically on par with Hollywood. Some do look expensive. Most dont. Sgi in most suck & you could tell from the trailer that its a local movie.
From the recent ones visually I liked the movie Tobol, Скиф & Going vertical
We also have sequels remakes & all that. Imo the crisis of ideas is everywhere.
Everything is already written & composed :laugh:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
.... I don't want to contribute my dollars to the Hollywood empty leftist snobs, ....

I do not know any contemporary screenwriter or director in Hollywood who can be described as a critic of imperialism and neocolonialism. Maybe Oliver Stone, but for your "leftist" snobs he is a conspiracy theorist (see Wikipedia).

The times of truly left-wing authors and directors like for example Dalton Trumbo are long gone.
On YouTube you can watch Dalton Trumbo's masterpiece Johnny Got His Gun (1971), one of the best anti-war films ever made.

Ducky

On the Ice
Over break I ended up watching Mike Leigh's Peterloo and was blown away by it. A historical drama with a scope as large as Middlemarch that follows the build up of a massacre during a working class demonstration in Manchester's St. Peter's Field; it is equally heartbreaking and frustrating and pertinent for contemporary times.

I also just watched Greta Gerwig's Little Women. What a wonderful and exceptional film! Also Florence Pugh is a powerhouse as Amy turning one of literature's most reviled (at least among all the people I know) characters into an astute, persuasive protagonist.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Greenfingers

Film from a few years back that is a must watch for me every spring when it is time to start digging up and planting (will be attacking several repositories of poison ivy soon - ugh..)

Based on a true story about inmates in the British prison system who take up gardening as a work release program and eventually end up winning Britain's highest horticultural honor, The Tudor Rose, it stars such luminaries as Helen Mirren, Clive Owen, and the old Guy from Waking Ned Devine, with a soundtrack by Elton John, U2 and others. .. Very funny, heartwarming, poignant, and serious too.
The trailer:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lzvwH5EhNTI&list=PLKnKxWygDsCgLuRmTEtQCiFfU37qLvN2x&index=2&t=0s