ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards' | Page 6 | Golden Skate

ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards'

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That Challenge Cup red carpet nonsense in 2016 was second hand embarrassing. ...

In the eye of the beholder.

My sense was/is that the skaters typically were fine with walking the TCC red carpet -- as a rather novel (in a good way) experience.
And I enjoyed watching them enjoy taking part in a not-everyday experience.
Some skaters were perhaps a little shy, but I did not sense anything close to widespread embarrassment.

(As is always the case with the media, some of the reporters stationed along the red carpet were more knowledgeable about skaters than others; and some of the questions from the reporters were better questions than others.
Although at this point I don't remember specific questions one way or the other, nothing sticks in my mind as cringe-worthy.)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've been following this thread just to get my bearings on the whole issue of awards. I am used to 'sportsman or sportswoman' of the year awards which don't always refer to the person who got a gold medal someplace. In fact in Figure skating we already have Awards (nationally) which go past the whole medalling thing as us Dutchies in the rule don't get medals internationally (well except at some Senior B's). They're more a support thing that gets publicity for the sport and as such to me is a good thing. I would love to see a life time achievement award for someone who has been fighting for and promoting the sport in a country where Figure Skating isn't a popular sport. People like Javier who have, besides their very well known skating achievements, have also done a lot for the sport in their country. But Joan Haanappel who has been stellar in promoting the sport in a country (my own country) where not even the Federation is interested would in my view also be a candidate. Or perhaps a veteran who has been in the field for many, many years and still skating despite an unfriendly federation that only wishes to promote teenagers (Yeah, I would love Sergey to get an award). The problems of course are that all these awards will be political in character, and that might hurt the whole idea. Because, it's unclear who exactly will put forward candidates and how to become one. But as such...why not try it out and perhaps it will be more fun than so many of us expect it to be!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The problems of course are that all these awards will be political in character, and that might hurt the whole idea. Because, it's unclear who exactly will put forward candidates and how to become one. But as such...why not try it out and perhaps it will be more fun than so many of us expect it to be!

It is 100% clear who will put forward candidates.

"A long list of Candidates, selected by an ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission, will be subject to public, ISU Member and Media on-line voting."

"The ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission is composed of:
• Mr. Alexander Lakernik, ISU Vice President Figure Skating
• Ms. Marie Lundmark, ISU Figure Skating Council member, who subsequently will also act as Jury President
• Mr. Oliver Höner (ISU Skating Awards Producer & Art on Ice CEO)
• Mr. Ari Zakarian (ISU Skating Award Show initiator)
• Mr. Fredi Schmid (ISU Director General) who subsequently will also act as Jury Administrator."

(emphasis added below -- BTW, I don't know what "feedback" means)

"The ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission will select Candidates subject to on-line voting.

At the conclusion of the last Grand Prix individual event of the season (NHK Trophy, November 22-24, 2019) the ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission, will select the Skaters subject to public, ISU Member Federations and media on-line voting based on the Grand Prix event results and feedback

During this on-line voting period, the ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission, taking into account the results and developments at the ISU Events (ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, ISU European Figure Skating Championships, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships) may add additional Candidates for on-line voting."​

" Why is the Life Time Achievement Award not open to on-line voting?
Since not linked to the season 2019/20 ISU Events, the experts composing the ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission will evaluate potential candidates who have achieved great success and popularity and considered as role models for the Figure Skating World and will select one nominee for the 2020 Awards. "

I agree that we do not know how much (or how little) politics will come into play.

Agree also that perhaps the outcome will be more pleasing than some expect it to be.

Skate4fn

Rinkside
You can vote for 4 of the Categories and there is still an exhibition of medal winners skating :)

ISU SKATING AWARDS
The ISU Skating Awards, which combine the high-flying energy of the traditional exhibition gala with the glitz and glamour of an awards show, are created to honour the world’s best skaters competing at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020. In keeping with the exhibition gala tradition, the 2020 world medallists will perform an exhibition number coupled with live musical acts and exciting production numbers that combine contemporary skating and dance. Awards will be handed out to skaters, coaches and choreographers in seven categories.

For further information on the ISU Skating Awards please visit: https://isu.org/figure-skating/isu-skating-awards.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Certain people:
“These ISU Awards are incredibly stupid and nobody cares...” :rolleye:

Also these certain people:
“OMG you guys we all have to vote for our favourite skater(s) so that they win!” :rock:

Inevitably these certain people:
“OMG you guys let's all rant about the results on social media, and boycott the ISU, because our favourite skater(s) didn’t win a certain award(s)!” :mad:

DenissVFan

Medalist
Has ISU addressed what happens if someone who isn't competing at Worlds (e.g. Zhenya) wins in their category?

Batsuchan

Medalist
Has ISU addressed what happens if someone who isn't competing at Worlds (e.g. Zhenya) wins in their category?

Not directly, but if you look at the details on this page, it's now clear that this is NOT going to happen.
https://isu.org/figure-skating/isu-skating-awards

Under the question about the selection process:
The results and experiences at the ISU Events (ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating individual events and Final, ISU European Figure Skating Championships, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, ISU World Figure Skating Championships) of the 2019/20 season will be taken into account.

A long list of Candidates, selected by an ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission, will be subject to public, ISU Member and Media on-line voting.

Once the on-line voting is closed, the results will be taken into account and the ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission will draw up a list of 3 Nominees per category who will be subject for the final vote in Montreal by a Jury.

So apparently the ISU Commission will take actual skating results into consideration, which means that they probably won't select anyone who's NOT going to Worlds as a finalist. :yes: Yeah, it kind of sounds like the online voting is just for show, and that the ISU is just going to do whatever it wants... :rolleye:

ALSO - I'm not sure if you're aware, but there's a 7-member jury that actually decides the winners (not a public vote). I saw the list of jurors in a tweet somewhere, and I think it included Miki Ando and Eric Radford...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
After waiting for two months for ISU to sort out its technical problems with Safari browser and their website, I've been finally able to vote.

I see Tutberidze's Terrific Trio and many other skaters in every category ....

Quite ridiculous categories like Best Costume, are these the pictures with the 'best costumes' one can vote for? Plain, boring, standard costumes on many skaters??

And only Media can vote in the other categories of Trainer, Choreographer etc?

I fully agree with Batsuchan, it is the 'professional jury' that decides, and these are open to 'bartering' and worse.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Certain people:
“These ISU Awards are incredibly stupid and nobody cares...” :rolleye:

Also these certain people:
“OMG you guys we all have to vote for our favourite skater(s) so that they win!” :rock:

Inevitably these certain people:
“OMG you guys let's all rant about the results on social media, and boycott the ISU, because our favourite skater(s) didn’t win a certain award(s)!” :mad:

Hmm, now I'm tempted to troll vote. The more outlandish the better! :dev2: #LetMicahSkate

evasorange

Final Flight
Can we talk about the fact that today isu mistakenly sent out to everyone? In their mailing list the email for skaters and federations with all of the rules and requirements of the awards, including the time and address of the skaters only banquet afterwards...then a while later another email was sent out saying sorry, you received the previous email by mistake we apologize for the inconvenience lmao you can’t make this stuff up! The email also included the map of the ice for the awards and it looks like some people’s all event seats will be behind a stage set up for some random musical acts no ones ever heard of, also the skaters will only have the middle section of the ice to skate on for their exhibitions...what a train wreck this thing is going to be!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Can we talk about the fact that today isu mistakenly sent out to everyone? In their mailing list the email for skaters and federations with all of the rules and requirements of the awards, including the time and address of the skaters only banquet afterwards...then a while later another email was sent out saying sorry, you received the previous email by mistake we apologize for the inconvenience lmao you can’t make this stuff up! The email also included the map of the ice for the awards and it looks like some people’s all event seats will be behind a stage set up for some random musical acts no ones ever heard of, also the skaters will only have the middle section of the ice to skate on for their exhibitions...what a train wreck this thing is going to be!

I didn’t get a retraction, just the original email. I shall accordingly assume that I’m still invited to the cocktail party and banquet. I’ll have to pack my party dress. Wonder who I’ll get to sit next to at dinner? :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I didn’t get a retraction, just the original email. I shall accordingly assume that I’m still invited to the cocktail party and banquet. I’ll have to pack my party dress. Wonder who I’ll get to sit next to at dinner? :)

I got the retraction but not the original. At least the retraction is small. And I won't need to buy a party dress.