ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards' | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards'

Amei

Record Breaker
Best Newcomer: Honors a young talented Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple competing very successfully in ISU Events on the Senior level for the first season

Which one - Trusova, Shcherbakova or Kostornaia? Based on what we've seen so far all 3 are going to light it up this season

Best Coach: Honors a Coach who delivered professional and efficient work and achieved outstanding results with one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples

I feel like this year especially there's no way this doesn't go to Eteri/Sambo

gold12345

Medalist
Just what skating needs, a subjective popularity contest. There are already plenty of people in the general public that don't consider skating a sport, and this certainly won't help.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Oh wow! Thanks ISU, exactly what we were waiting for... not.

So, this is how you tackle the issues this sport is facing right now? By creating a popularity contest? Right, people already don‘t take skating seriously and now we get a competition for the best dress. Great. I can already see fans at each others‘ throats because their favourites didn‘t get best whatever award. We‘re in for a treat. How wonderful.

Amei

Record Breaker
Awards shows are long and boring. We are going to hear the same speeches again and again.

I don't like the idea to only invite medalists to skate at the gala. Non medalists love it when they are invited to the gala.

Skating fans already argued about many things.

Well depending on if this is strictly Worlds medalists or if this potentially involves medalists of Europeans, 4cc's and the GP events - inviting non-medalists would probably make for a too long gala.

I'm kinda interested in how they will manage this 'award show', you've got the variable of the winners and audience members not able to speak/understand English which I'm assuming the award show will be in since it will be in Canada so then you have translations - that sounds like it will be very very long show.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Although I don't have high hopes for this, I will say that I'm glad I got the all-event ticket as opposed to buying individually because otherwise I would not be attending this new gala format & I just have to see how this plays out :popcorn:

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Strange thing. Seems like another cause for fan wars and just it. MVS and LAA I think are not bad but others.:palmf:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just what skating needs, a subjective popularity contest. There are already plenty of people in the general public that don't consider skating a sport, and this certainly won't help.

I can see an awards show as an idea - a LOT of sports have them - but putting in things like 'Best Costume' is not going to help (should go to one of the Korean girls, that's already obvious but also not the point).

I assume the public vote will be online, not that that can EVER go skewiff, nonononono... :devil:

NaVi

Medalist
I think it's fine if no one takes it seriously whatsoever... but reward shows in general are not things people care much about anymore. They're lucky if they get half the viewers they got 15-25 years ago.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think it's fine if no one takes it seriously whatsoever... but reward shows in general are not things people care much about anymore. They're lucky if they get half the viewers they got 15-25 years ago.

Your join date says you've been here awhile but your statement suggests otherwise.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
...sigh.

What a ridiculous waste of time, money and everyone's patience.

Putting on an overdone fancy awards show is not doing to do one damn' thing to increase the popularity or audience of the sport. Quit preening for cameras and work on issues that actually need to be addressed, why don't you, ISU?

evangeline

Record Breaker
[*]Most Valuable Skater: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who best managed to increase the level of popularity of Figure Skating related to the fan base involvement, media attention and sponsors appreciation

So . . . I assume Yuzuru Hanyu is going to win this award every season until he retires?

Lota

Record Breaker
Oh God, is this where the ISU is headed? :shocked: I get that they want to "get with the times" ( :rolleye: ) but this is ridiculous. How about instead of giving us this popularity contest as a shiny new band-aid they actually try to fix existing issues? :gaah:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey folks, I have a serious question.

Do you watch any professional (American) sports?

They have these award shows *all* *the* *time*. Journalists, coaches, fans, combinations thereof, the drunk on Fourth Street, everyone and anyone. And some of them get good ratings:shocked:

I’m not saying I would watch the ISU award show, but it’s not some idea pulled out of nowhere that no one’s ever done :shrug:

tafattsbarn

Rinkside

They have these award shows *all* *the* *time*. Journalists, coaches, fans, combinations thereof, the drunk on Fourth Street, everyone and anyone. And some of them get good ratings:shocked:

I’m not saying I would watch the ISU award show, but it’s not some idea pulled out of nowhere that no one’s ever done :shrug:

Yeah, it's not the award show itself i'm opposed to, it's the fact that it'll replace the gala ;-;

Ziotic

Medalist
Which one - Trusova, Shcherbakova or Kostornaia? Based on what we've seen so far all 3 are going to light it up this season

I feel like this year especially there's no way this doesn't go to Eteri/Sambo
Don’t forget Montreal’s Dance squad, they will take more senior medals then sambo.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Oh wow! Thanks ISU, exactly what we were waiting for... not.

So, this is how you tackle the issues this sport is facing right now? By creating a popularity contest? Right, people already don‘t take skating seriously and now we get a competition for the best dress. Great. I can already see fans at each others‘ throats because their favourites didn‘t get best whatever award. We‘re in for a treat. How wonderful.

Actually, I think best costume is the most appropriate award. That is if it goes to the designer. Skaters, coaches, and choreographers all get recognition for their contributions to the sport. In contrast, we rarely hear about the costume designers who also contribute significantly to the art. It's a big part in bringing together a program.

champagnerain

Final Flight
Amazing how the ISU manages to give us something no fans want while ignoring all legitimate concerns and criticisms.

Quite on brand.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i have tickets for 2 out of the 4 competition days... this is NOT going to make me buy a gala ticket.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yes, in Australia they're called the Brownlows and they're an even bigger joke than the Logies, which is really saying something.

I'll continue not to waste my time watching awards most of whose winners can be identified without pause for thought even though the season is barely underway yet no matter how half-drowned they come in self-congratulatory claptrap.